+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 108
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, In a Blind "Taste Test" the iPhone 5s camera blows major competitors away in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK Yes, 1%, but the 1% that will pay the extra for it and the 1% that ...
  1. #91

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dudley
    Posts
    120
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, 1%, but the 1% that will pay the extra for it and the 1% that probably has cred with others as a tech expert. Even the pretentious arty lot that have a sway in some coffee shop type social groups... wait, how does the iPhone not have RAW... have they not 'invented' it yet
    ^ Exactly this

  2. #92

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,706
    Thank Post
    906
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    266
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    This study was about the iPhone's major (and actual) competitors. With a market share of almost zip, there is NO Windows Phone that can be considered a major competitor to the iPhone. If it was a study about the best camera that happened to be attached to a smartphone, one of the Lumia models would almost certainly have won. But it wasn't. This was a study of the cameras in the phones that most people in the world are likely to have on their person.
    What a silly argument, excluding products in the same category because they don't sell enough to declare another victorious.

  4. #94

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    What a silly argument, excluding products in the same category because they don't sell enough to declare another victorious.
    Why is it silly to set parameters for a comparison? Most every comparison has some parameters otherwise it would take years to do the comparisons after which time no one would care as all of the products would be obsolete (but we would know the best one). Editorials do it all of the time "We've compared the most popular <whatever> and here are the results...".

    If this wasn't common practice, then you would never see articles such as these:

    MSI X340 Slim: The best laptop you've never heard of - TechRepublic
    The Best Laptop That You Don't Know Exists - Tynan
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel...-1226800984251
    15 new cars you've probably never heard of - MSN Autos

    But, in any case this same mag have done comparisons that didn't set the "most popular" parameter as well, as ZeroHour made reference to in previous post.

  5. #95

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Gotta disagree here, seawolf. Windows Phone market share is almost 12% in the UK and growing in most other markets. For the real skinny look here. There was no need to exclude any phone with an awesome camera that could be considered an iPhone competitor other than "fanboy-ism". That said, my Lumia 920 does take better pictures overall than my iPhone 5 which was released around the same time.

  6. #96

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,935
    Thank Post
    1,628
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    429
    With the exception of Australia and Spain, there is a decline of iOS, BB and Other (symbian, flashOS etc) sales across "westernised" or "modernised" nations.

    Droid Sales are UP - 4.81%
    iOS Sales are DOWN - 4.16%
    WP Sales are UP - 3.96%
    BB Sales are DOWN - 2.15%
    "Other" Sales are DOWN - 3.37%

    This is going off the top 20 nations phone operating system sales and is based from October 2012-October 2013.

    If I factor in to today
    Droid Sales are UP - 4.83%
    iOS Sales are DOWN - 4.21%
    WP Sales are UP - 4.01%
    BB Sales are DOWN - 3.62%
    "Other" Sales are DOWN - 3.92%

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    266
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Why is it silly to set parameters for a comparison? Most every comparison has some parameters otherwise it would take years to do the comparisons after which time no one would care as all of the products would be obsolete (but we would know the best one). Editorials do it all of the time "We've compared the most popular <whatever> and here are the results...".

    If this wasn't common practice, then you would never see articles such as these:

    MSI X340 Slim: The best laptop you've never heard of - TechRepublic
    The Best Laptop That You Don't Know Exists - Tynan
    No Cookies | The Courier-Mail
    15 new cars you've probably never heard of - MSN Autos

    But, in any case this same mag have done comparisons that didn't set the "most popular" parameter as well, as ZeroHour made reference to in previous post.
    It's not silly to set a few parameters (i.e in this case is it primarily a phone and does it have a camera), but to then say it has to of sold x amount to enter the competition is daft. The amount it's sold has no reflection on what is being tested, the camera.

    It's like testing for the fastest car in the world but excluding hyper cars because they don't sell as many as a focus rs.

  8. Thanks to nathan from:

    nephilim (2nd April 2014)

  9. #98

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    You know, it's just astonishing how an argument is still being made here that it's illogical to decide to test the "most popular" individual smartphones (as in units sold) and then to exclude a phone (Nokia) that has a small percentage of the total market sales (few units sold). When, what would be illogical would be to include a phone that is not among the most popular by sales figures and include it in a most popular comparison.

    We've already been through the whole market share argument, and what seems to still not sink in is the facts. The market share of a Nokia running WP might be 99% in some random suburb somewhere in the world. However, this is what the actual sales figures worldwide show, which is that WP (the OS not a particular phone) has a 3% market share.

    2013 FULL YEAR OPERATING SYSTEM MARKET SHARES

    Rank . . OS . . . . . . . . . 2013 units . . share . . .2012 units . . share . . 2011 units . . share
    1 (1) . . Android . . . . . . 767.3 M . . . 78% . . . 452 M . . . . . 65% . . . 208 M . . . . . 43%
    2 (2) . . iOS . . . . . . . . . 153.4 M . . . . 16% . . . 136 M . . . . . 20% . . . . 93 M . . . . . 19%
    3 (6) . . Windows Phone . 33.3 M . . . . 3% . . . .16 M . . . . . . 2% . . . . 5 M . . . . . . 1%
    4 (3) . . Blackberry . . . . . 23.0 M . . . . 2% . . . 33 M . . . . . .5% . . . . 52 M . . . . . 11%
    Others . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.3 M . . . . 1%
    TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . 990.0 M . . . . . . . . . . . 695 M . . . . . . .. . . . 486 M

    Communities Dominate Brands: Final 2013 Smartphone Market Share Numbers - Full year and Quarterly Q4 data by Top 10 brands, plus OS shares, plus installed base

    Nokia as a company has 2.9% market share as of the end of 2013. So, at best a particular Nokia phone is going to have less than a 3% market share - if they only sold one phone. Which they don't.

    What this comes down to is that the league of anti-fruits don't seem to like it when anything to do with the company named after a popular fruit is mentioned in a positive light, so the barbs come out and all rational thought seems to disappear in an instant.

    As for me, I think Windows Phone has a lot going for it. It's original, quite intuitive, and Nokia is making some great phones lately. I'm not surprised they are steadily increasing their market share. The fact still remains though, that WP does not have a large market share and a particular Nokia WP even less so. So, deal with it. And, feel free to take a look at the sister review of smartphone cameras that did include the Nokia (with its 40MP zoom lens) - linked to by @ZeroHour - where it crushes all of the competition.
    Last edited by seawolf; 2nd April 2014 at 11:43 PM.

  10. #99

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Personally I buy a phone because I want to use it as a 'Phone' ie making calls / sending text messages etc, don't get me wrong it is great that they have a lot of other features regardless of being android / iphone / nokia ( or whatever else ) with regards to music players, video players , browsing the web, using it like a camera as the phones improve over time etc but for me the camera side of a mobile phone is more a convenience thing so if I didn't have an actual camera on me and I wanted to take some photo's or video footage etc then I can still do so using my phone.

    Doing all these comparisons on camera / photo quality and whatever else between phones, I know how anti apple most people on edugeek are and prefer android or something else. Personally I have an iPhone, mostly due to already being in the iOS / Apple eco system. Not overly keen on android just yet so just stucking with apple for now, yeah yeah I know locked in a box etc meh

    Anyway carry on with the debate or whatever ......

  11. #100

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,568
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 318 Times in 234 Posts
    Rep Power
    208
    Surely this 'debate' has to be over, I think we should all agree to disagree and send me some eduhobnobs because I'm poorly!!

  12. Thanks to abillybob from:

    mac_shinobi (3rd April 2014)

  13. #101

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    266
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    You know, it's just astonishing how an argument is still being made here that it's illogical to decide to test the "most popular" individual smartphones (as in units sold) and then to exclude a phone (Nokia) that has a small percentage of the total market sales (few units sold). When, what would be illogical would be to include a phone that is not among the most popular by sales figures and include it in a most popular comparison.

    We've already been through the whole market share argument, and what seems to still not sink in is the facts. The market share of a Nokia running WP might be 99% in some random suburb somewhere in the world. However, this is what the actual sales figures worldwide show, which is that WP (the OS not a particular phone) has a 3% market share.

    2013 FULL YEAR OPERATING SYSTEM MARKET SHARES

    Rank . . OS . . . . . . . . . 2013 units . . share . . .2012 units . . share . . 2011 units . . share
    1 (1) . . Android . . . . . . 767.3 M . . . 78% . . . 452 M . . . . . 65% . . . 208 M . . . . . 43%
    2 (2) . . iOS . . . . . . . . . 153.4 M . . . . 16% . . . 136 M . . . . . 20% . . . . 93 M . . . . . 19%
    3 (6) . . Windows Phone . 33.3 M . . . . 3% . . . .16 M . . . . . . 2% . . . . 5 M . . . . . . 1%
    4 (3) . . Blackberry . . . . . 23.0 M . . . . 2% . . . 33 M . . . . . .5% . . . . 52 M . . . . . 11%
    Others . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.3 M . . . . 1%
    TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . 990.0 M . . . . . . . . . . . 695 M . . . . . . .. . . . 486 M

    Communities Dominate Brands: Final 2013 Smartphone Market Share Numbers - Full year and Quarterly Q4 data by Top 10 brands, plus OS shares, plus installed base

    Nokia as a company has 2.9% market share as of the end of 2013. So, at best a particular Nokia phone is going to have less than a 3% market share - if they only sold one phone. Which they don't.

    What this comes down to is that the league of anti-fruits don't seem to like it when anything to do with the company named after a popular fruit is mentioned in a positive light, so the barbs come out and all rational thought seems to disappear in an instant.

    As for me, I think Windows Phone has a lot going for it. It's original, quite intuitive, and Nokia is making some great phones lately. I'm not surprised they are steadily increasing their market share. The fact still remains though, that WP does not have a large market share and a particular Nokia WP even less so. So, deal with it. And, feel free to take a look at the sister review of smartphone cameras that did include the Nokia (with its 40MP zoom lens) - linked to by @ZeroHour - where it crushes all of the competition.
    So because people dispute the merits of finding the "best smartphone camera" without actually testing all competitors your classing them as anti-fruits. The iPhone is a brilliant phone, i should know i have one. But i've also tested others and believe the cameras were better. It has nothing to do with disliking Apple or any other company which you seem to think - i just find it really odd that if your trying to find the best camera phone you would narrow down the choices.

    Also "most popular" doesn't actually have to mean sold the most. Thinking a product is the best and actually buying it are two different things. I think an Aston Martin is better than my Audi but i have an Audi.

    Heres a list of the actual marketshare (not that it actually matters).

    ergo.png
    Last edited by nathan; 3rd April 2014 at 09:04 AM.

  14. #102

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    So because people dispute the merits of finding the "best smartphone camera" without actually testing all competitors your classing them as anti-fruits...i just find it really odd that if your trying to find the best camera phone you would narrow down the choices.
    [sigh] OK. I'll give this one last try to explain it. The original article (by an objective, unbiased site as far as I can tell) stated that they had tested the iPhone 5s against its "five main competitors" (i.e. most popular models after the iPhone).

    So, it was not an attempt to find the best camera phone money could buy. If it were, the iPhone 5s wouldn't have stood a chance of winning the contest (I have unreservedly stated that already). However, if you were one of the many people who had purchased one of the 6 most popular phones last year (a large number of people), the iPhone 5s actually takes better pictures than some of it's technically superior major competitors based on this "blind taste test". That was the point of the whole article and as far as their comparisons went. Full stop.

  15. #103

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,684
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    833
    Ok, lets settle on this - some of us think that the parameters used for model selection were too limiting as to make the test near enough pointless.

    Yes, we can see the point that it was the most popular phones etc... However, we think that the list was still too limited.

    What is the point of a test if it limits itself to an arbitrary list of phones based purely on sales numbers, rather than focussing on capabilities?

    But then, we've now circled back to my earlier point that the test was flawed to say the least. No low light shots, no high contrast or low contrast shots etc...

  16. #104

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Surely this 'debate' has to be over, I think we should all agree to disagree and send me some eduhobnobs because I'm poorly!!
    How's about some eduhobnobs and a big bottle of JD or Evan Williams etc

  17. #105

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,568
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 318 Times in 234 Posts
    Rep Power
    208

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th November 2010, 12:01 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd October 2010, 02:33 PM
  3. Test Drive the BlackBerry OS on Your PC
    By DaveP in forum Downloads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th August 2010, 02:57 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th July 2009, 02:19 PM
  5. [CLOSED] Layout Issue: Advert in First post on thread breaks quoting
    By Geoff in forum EduGeek.net Site Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th March 2009, 09:02 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •