+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, In a Blind "Taste Test" the iPhone 5s camera blows major competitors away in Technical; Originally Posted by abillybob 7200RPM for a laptop hard drive is actually very good, the new acers we have just ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    7200RPM for a laptop hard drive is actually very good, the new acers we have just bought come with 5400rpm hard drives, a lot of budget laptops do. It was only in my Alienware did they give me a 750GB WD Black Edition Hard Drive which spins at 7200rpm
    In comparison to an SSHD or an SSD - which I think the laptops here could really use with all the GPO's that are not required

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You wouldn't notice an SSHD improvement that much on a laptop (or even on a PC), the boost is like going to a new HDD which lasts a bit longer.

Thank Post
    7200RPM for a laptop hard drive is actually very good, the new acers we have just bought come with 5400rpm hard drives, a lot of budget laptops do. It was only in my Alienware did they give me a 750GB WD Black Edition Hard Drive which spins at 7200rpm
    I was comparing it to an SSHD or an SSD - which I think the laptops here could really use with all the GPO's that are not required. On this laptop I only have 30gb free and just tried it now and excluding me typing the password and pressing enter took 3 seconds to go from locked screen to being un-locked, if we say 2 or 3 seconds to type and press enter, that is 6 seconds without me even pressing F2 or clicking on the notification to actually answer the call, that is assuming that they haven't or aren't already in the process of hanging up the phone call there end, as I may have gone to make a cuppa ( tea / coffee or whatever ), gotten back to my desk and heard the phone ringing, tried to logon and by the time I try to click on answer I either just miss clicking the icon / pressing F2 or they have already hung up so all I get is a dead line
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 19th March 2014 at 02:24 PM.

Thank Post
    You keep saying GPO's that aren't needed. Why don't you just get rid of the GPO's you no longer need if you think they are clogging up the systems?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    You wouldn't notice an SSHD improvement that much on a laptop (or even on a PC), the boost is like going to a new HDD which lasts a bit longer.
    Presume an SSHD only come in the 5,400 rpm variants, you can't get a 7,200 RPM 2.5" SSHD

Presumed it would only cache frequently used data which should speed it up and the cache's on those drives tend to be 8 or 16gb ( something to that effect ) and obviously the flash side will be a lot faster than the actual drive itself.

Thank Post
    You keep saying GPO's that aren't needed. Why don't you just get rid of the GPO's you no longer need if you think they are clogging up the systems?
    Working in the private sector, It is not me that manages or deals with GPO's / servers etc and thus I do not have access rights etc, if it was that Easy I would have either done it or posted a question on here for help on what I can / can't remove etc, not being argumentative or off etc just generally saying
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 19th March 2014 at 02:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Good point about setting up multiple fingers, however I thought iPhones could only do 1 at a time?

As for the laptop you've described, you've not kept it well. My old laptop had a 120GB drive at 5400RPM, was 5 years old, and from lock screen, was into windows in around 3 seconds. This is with lots of group policies etc on the laptop also.

Also, 7200RPM for a laptop is fast (not SSD fast, but still fast)
    I think the max on the iPhone 5S is 5 different fingers : How many finger prints can the 5s iphone Touch ID new fingerprint identity sensor handle? What If I wanted my kids to be able to unlock my phone? - Apple Store (UK)

Thank Post
    I just can't believe this thread has 5 pages of comments... more please!

9. Thanks to abillybob from:

mac_shinobi (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I don't have a DSLR camera , other half has got a bridge camera but as mentioned previously the best camera is the one you have to hand to take the photo there and then, not several hours later when you can manage to get home, pick up the camera, drive back etc as you would have most likely missed the opportunities or the thing(s) you wanted to get a photo of would have already happened / been and gone etc, so having it on a mobile phone ( which most people carry with them ) is more convenient and you are more likely to have that with you at the time of said event(s) happening

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I don't have a DSLR camera , other half has got a bridge camera but as mentioned previously the best camera is the one you have to hand to take the photo there and then, not several hours later when you can manage to get home, pick up the camera, drive back etc as you would have most likely missed the opportunities or the thing(s) you wanted to get a photo of would have already happened / been and gone etc, so having it on a mobile phone ( which most people carry with them ) is more convenient and you are more likely to have that with you at the time of said event(s) happening
    I combat this by always having an SLR/dSLR with me, or at least a decent P&S - but even then there is still the odd occasion it's easier to just whip out my phone!

EDIT: To be fair, I take quite a lot of photos [/ShamelessPlug]
    Last edited by LosOjos; 19th March 2014 at 04:23 PM.

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

mac_shinobi (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I combat this by always having an SLR/dSLR with me, or at least a decent P&S - but even then there is still the odd occasion it's easier to just whip out my phone!

EDIT: To be fair, I take quite a lot of photos [/ShamelessPlug]
    Key words high lighted in red - so back to convenience and quickness and possibly other reasons

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am pretty surprised they didnt include the best cameraphones on the market and not the selective choice. The lack of low light too is a mistake and really leaves out one of the most common uses of smartphone cameras.
    LG G2 is a £340 phone, HTC One £438, Galaxy S4 £319, Xperia Z1 £438, Z1 Compact £399 and then the iphone 5s £549. Its pretty much not a like for like comparison based on sim free price (clove, amazon and Expansys). If the iphone couldnt beat phones half the price it would be a bit of a joke tbh and even then they selected some pretty *ideal* shots for it, I could buy a G2 AND a Cannon compact for the price of the iPhone 5S. Did they compare the comparatively priced 5C (although its still £479) against those models?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In a Blind "Taste Test" the iPhone 5s camera blows major competitors away

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I am pretty surprised they didnt include the best cameraphones on the market and not the selective choice. The lack of low light too is a mistake and really leaves out one of the most common uses of smartphone cameras.
    LG G2 is a £340 phone, HTC One £438, Galaxy S4 £319, Xperia Z1 £438, Z1 Compact £399 and then the iphone 5s £549. Its pretty much not a like for like comparison based on sim free price (clove, amazon and Expansys). If the iphone couldnt beat phones half the price it would be a bit of a joke tbh and even then they selected some pretty *ideal* shots for it, I could buy a G2 AND a Cannon compact for the price of the iPhone 5S. Did they compare the comparatively priced 5C (although its still £479) against those models?
    The comparison was of some of the most popular smartphones. That's why it was prefaced with the "major competitors" description. They did a comparison of the best camera phones previously and the Lumia came out on top by a mile as one would expect since that phone is more akin to a phone built around a camera body than a camera built into a phone.

The shots were somewhat random and there were no low light shots, but it was again more of a comparison of the general perceived quality of the pictures taken with some of the more popular smartphones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    The comparison was of some of the most popular smartphones. That's why it was prefaced with the "major competitors" description. They did a comparison of the best camera phones previously and the Lumia came out on top by a mile as one would expect since that phone is more akin to a phone built around a camera body than a camera built into a phone.

The shots were somewhat random and there were no low light shots, but it was again more of a comparison of the general perceived quality of the pictures taken with some of the more popular smartphones.
    The point is its really too selective to have any real merit, if they had done more than 3 shots so it covered more scenarios (scenarios where iPhones dont generally do so well)... similar priced phones etc... things could be very different and really the 5c should have been used. If we went by popularity alone where are the feature phones or really cheap androids that sell in droves.
    Did they require at least registration to vote or could you vote from a mobile hoping ip and cookies each time?
    Maybe even comparing iPhone improvements over the years would have been useful but a straw poll with selective shots and not like for like phones really is simply worthless in value.
    Does the iPhone 5S at least provide RAW files now (no idea tbh)?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    The point is its really too selective to have any real merit, if they had done more than 3 shots so it covered more scenarios (scenarios where iPhones dont generally do so well)... similar priced phones etc... things could be very different and really the 5c should have been used. If we went by popularity alone where are the feature phones or really cheap androids that sell in droves.
    Yes, they were being quite selective, but that was the point I think. They looked at several of the most popular smartphones that people frequently take photos with, likely based off of data from Flickr (Top 6 Best Smartphones of 2013 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!). As for the cheap android phones selling in droves, there is no single cheap android phone that rises to the top 10 in sales figures. There are so many different cheap phones that make up the volume. It's generally not the individual cheap android phones (single model) that sell in large volumes.

Did they require at least registration to vote or could you vote from a mobile hoping ip and cookies each time?
    Maybe even comparing iPhone improvements over the years would have been useful but a straw poll with selective shots and not like for like phones really is simply worthless in value.
    I can't say for sure about registration to vote, but I think this would have been somewhat pointless to do this anyway as they had stripped ALL of the metadata out of the photos so that no one could know what photo was taken by what phone. That's why they called it a "blind taste test".

Does the iPhone 5S at least provide RAW files now (no idea tbh)?
    No, it doesn't. I can't see what the point of this is in a smartphone camera anyway. It would just take up much more storage space on the phone and 99.99% of the people buying the phone would probably never use this feature. I would bet that very few people buying the less expensive DSLRs even use RAW (or even know what it means). Professional photographers and hobbyists would, but most others wouldn't.

I think this rush to add features such as this that are pretty much pointless to 99.9% of users only adds to the bloat of systems, makes them more complicated and less reliable. That's my opinion, but others mileage may vary...
    Last edited by seawolf; 20th March 2014 at 03:57 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast