+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 108
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, In a Blind "Taste Test" the iPhone 5s camera blows major competitors away in Technical; Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth I was thinking about selling my phone and getting the lumia 1020? What do you reckon ...
  1. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I was thinking about selling my phone and getting the lumia 1020? What do you reckon is it really this good?
    Given my 920 has an outstanding track record as my personal smartphone and an awesome camera to boot, I could see the 1020 with its similar form factor and even better camera being an outstanding choice for you.

  2. Thanks to Jwzg from:

    AButters (19th March 2014)

  3. #47

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Almost every laptop has them despite them being proved almost useless in every pen test by people who don't manufacturer them for a living. I thing required gimmick status does apply, there are mythbusters EPs that show how bad they all are.
    Im not saying they are brilliant or a gimick etc but just as one example where they have been useful is

    We use cisco ip communicator aka voip soft phones on win 7 laptops and if you go and grab a cuppa, come back from lunch or lock your screen so you can do something and you get a phone call, you can't answer the phone from the lock screen sooooo

    It has been quicker, easier etc to swipe ya finger to unlock ya computer and answer the phone in comparison to pressing ctrl + alt + delete , ensure the cursors in the password field, type the password and press enter and then try and answer the phone. More often than not Ive missed the call before I manage to logon in the usual process


    This is a different story on smart phones as it gives you the option to answer phone calls without logging in or entering anything ie pass code or swiping ya finger ( as far as im aware so could be wrong )

  4. #48
    AButters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    479
    Thank Post
    143
    Thanked 107 Times in 82 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwzg View Post
    Given my 920 has an outstanding track record as my personal smartphone and an awesome camera to boot, I could see the 1020 with its similar form factor and even better camera being an outstanding choice for you.
    Yep I love mine. Just be aware app availablility is truly awful on windows phone platform, here's an example, I got free Sky Sports Mobile included with my 1020..... only problem is sky only do a Iphone and Android app... no windows...so guess what, can't use my free subscription that was sold as a selling point for my phone contract!!

  5. #49

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    679
    Thank Post
    264
    Thanked 98 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I love my Xperia Z1 now I can go back to reading in the bath via Kindle app. Plus can take it to the beach film the kids running in/out of the sea etc without worrying that one of the little darlings will throw a bucket over me. I think the camera is good, it's better after the recent updates (not kitkat yet!) certainly much better than the S2 and S3 love the motion shot software that Sony supply I shot some images of the eldest going down a big slide at Bewilderwood and you get one image of the slide with dozens of images of his journey down in and the expression on his face just LOL.

    Personally I think we're getting to (gotten to??) the point where pixel density is irrelevant whats really holding it back now is the optics there's only so much you can do with such a small sensor and tiny lens

  6. #50

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,081
    Thank Post
    1,637
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Im not saying they are brilliant or a gimick etc but just as one example where they have been useful is

    We use cisco ip communicator aka voip soft phones on win 7 laptops and if you go and grab a cuppa, come back from lunch or lock your screen so you can do something and you get a phone call, you can't answer the phone from the lock screen sooooo

    It has been quicker, easier etc to swipe ya finger to unlock ya computer and answer the phone in comparison to pressing ctrl + alt + delete , ensure the cursors in the password field, type the password and press enter and then try and answer the phone. More often than not Ive missed the call before I manage to logon in the usual process


    This is a different story on smart phones as it gives you the option to answer phone calls without logging in or entering anything ie pass code or swiping ya finger ( as far as im aware so could be wrong )
    Then you are doing something horribly wrong or you are an awfully slow typist. On windows, when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL on a lock screen by default the password field is highlighted and ready to type into. Also, if its your password, you type it daily, it should be second nature to speed type it in (mine is 13 digits long for work, takes me less than 1 second to type and press enter). If you are unable to answer a call from a locked machine in 5 seconds, then you have issues.

    Now say for example you get a paper cut on your finger, depending on the sensitivity of the reader, once that cut is there, you can't use it again as the scar tissue will have altered your fingerprint. So its a gimmick that's a bit rubbish.

    *edit*

    Also... *your, I'm, I've, Log on/Log In, Cisco, IP, VOIP /end troll mode.
    Last edited by nephilim; 19th March 2014 at 09:28 AM.

  7. #51

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,761
    Thank Post
    316
    Thanked 345 Times in 255 Posts
    Rep Power
    212
    Now, now lets not get so nasty everyone at the end of it all a lot of things on mobile phones are gimmicks to entice the user to buy the phone which most of the time the user actually never uses, my galaxy note 3 has this feature where you hover your hand over the screen and it will show you all your notifications without touching or picking up the phone, this is handy apart from that I never use anything else, you can hover you finger over images or videos to see a preview of them, I never use this. I could go on.... It's like personal assistants such as Google Now, Siri, S Voice, does anyone actually ever use these? I'm sure the answer will be very rarely unless you use them when driving your car, but please try to send a text using siri and your mouth in the car it's never 100% correct!

  8. #52


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,647
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 865 Times in 743 Posts
    Rep Power
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    It's like personal assistants such as Google Now, Siri, S Voice, does anyone actually ever use these? I'm sure the answer will be very rarely unless you use them when driving your car, but please try to send a text using siri and your mouth in the car it's never 100% correct!
    only with really daft questions when im bored

  9. #53

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    App availability is overrated at this point, IMHO. However, I have a feeling that if MS buys Xamarin, app availability will no longer be a negative perception or reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Yep I love mine. Just be aware app availablility is truly awful on windows phone platform, here's an example, I got free Sky Sports Mobile included with my 1020..... only problem is sky only do a Iphone and Android app... no windows...so guess what, can't use my free subscription that was sold as a selling point for my phone contract!!

  10. #54

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,506
    Thank Post
    1,457
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 816 Posts
    Rep Power
    713
    I'm slightly annoyed that the DPReview article used scanned negatives for the film comparison - they'll only ever be as good as the optics in the scanner, which are generally awful. Now, had they done a wet print and scanned that...

    Anyway, it doesn't really matter, does it?

    The best camera is the one you have with you.

  11. #55

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,057
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 188 Times in 155 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    It's like personal assistants such as Google Now, Siri, S Voice, does anyone actually ever use these?
    I use Google Now on Andoid 4.4 Kit Kat all the time. I find it very handy.

  12. #56

    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,393
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 316 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    but please try to send a text using siri and your mouth in the car it's never 100% correct!
    That's because there's too much background noise and the microphone isn't sensitive enough to filter it out. Using a TomTom hands free kit improved things for me a little but I still don't bother using that much personally.

  13. #57

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,761
    Thank Post
    316
    Thanked 345 Times in 255 Posts
    Rep Power
    212
    Meh it's all gimmicks to me On another note just found a Nokia 3200 in the school cupboard!!! Haha it's so awesome!

  14. #58

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Then you are doing something horribly wrong or you are an awfully slow typist. On windows, when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL on a lock screen by default the password field is highlighted and ready to type into. Also, if its your password, you type it daily, it should be second nature to speed type it in (mine is 13 digits long for work, takes me less than 1 second to type and press enter). If you are unable to answer a call from a locked machine in 5 seconds, then you have issues.

    Now say for example you get a paper cut on your finger, depending on the sensitivity of the reader, once that cut is there, you can't use it again as the scar tissue will have altered your fingerprint. So its a gimmick that's a bit rubbish.

    *edit*

    Also... *your, I'm, I've, Log on/Log In, Cisco, IP, VOIP /end troll mode.
    1) The laptops use ye olde 7,200 rpm hard drives ( 320gb ) and mine is nearly full and even after clearing temp files and de-fragmentation is very slow
    2) The laptops here have a lot of old GPO's - a chunk of which are not required anymore however they do not get removed etc
    3) I can type pretty quick and my password is 15 characters / digits in length ( uppercase, lower case, a symbol and a number )

    I have tried to type the password and press enter and wait for it to show me the soft phone ( as in the notification at the bottom right or as in press F2 or by clicking answer on the soft phone itself ) so as to answer the phone and have for the majority of occasions missed the phone call in comparison to a colleague who uses the finger print scanner and it works straight away and he manages to answer the phone as just swipes a finger ( due to setting up with multiple fingers on both hands - so doesn't matter if you cut one or have grubby or dirty fingers / hand etc as when you set it up you go through the process of scanning multiple fingers on each hand repeatedly so it learns what your finger prints are like on both hands etc and as apart of the finger print scanner setup you enter your windows logon credentials so the computer authenticates and logs you in straight away as apposed to typing out X amount of characters and pressing enter, the computer will always do it faster then you can type and press enter which is why I am guessing that using orphcrack or a brute force attack on cracking passwords is quicker than manually typing out 1,000 passwords per second, dunno about you but I sure as heck can't type out 1,000 different passwords per second
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 19th March 2014 at 02:12 PM.

  15. #59

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,761
    Thank Post
    316
    Thanked 345 Times in 255 Posts
    Rep Power
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    1) The laptops use ye olde 7,200 rpm hard drives ( 320gb ) and mine is nearly full and even after clearing temp files and de-fragmentation is very slow
    7200RPM for a laptop hard drive is actually very good, the new acers we have just bought come with 5400rpm hard drives, a lot of budget laptops do. It was only in my Alienware did they give me a 750GB WD Black Edition Hard Drive which spins at 7200rpm

  16. #60

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,081
    Thank Post
    1,637
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    440
    Good point about setting up multiple fingers, however I thought iPhones could only do 1 at a time?

    As for the laptop you've described, you've not kept it well. My old laptop had a 120GB drive at 5400RPM, was 5 years old, and from lock screen, was into windows in around 3 seconds. This is with lots of group policies etc on the laptop also.

    Also, 7200RPM for a laptop is fast (not SSD fast, but still fast)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th November 2010, 12:01 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd October 2010, 02:33 PM
  3. Test Drive the BlackBerry OS on Your PC
    By DaveP in forum Downloads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th August 2010, 02:57 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th July 2009, 02:19 PM
  5. [CLOSED] Layout Issue: Advert in First post on thread breaks quoting
    By Geoff in forum EduGeek.net Site Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th March 2009, 09:02 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •