+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, In a Blind "Taste Test" the iPhone 5s camera blows major competitors away in Technical; Originally Posted by synaesthesia Typical of an iPhone related post to concentrate on things that barely make a selling point. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Typical of an iPhone related post to concentrate on things that barely make a selling point. I still can't understand why people buy a 5S over a 5C.
    It could be the:

- Faster A7 processor
    - Fingerprint scanner
    - all metal body
    - Better camera
    - Minimal price difference

That makes people buy the 5S over the 5C. I actually think Apple made a misstep in selling a phone with those distinctions that was only slightly less expensive than their flagship model. I think an iPhone "mini" (iPhone 4 size) with the 5C processor and camera sold for 30-40% less or so might have worked, but not as it is.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    OK, might not be scuba diving with a phone, but I can work my phone in the bath without a problem, or in the shower, or when we go to a lake I dont have to worry about running in and my phone not getting wet if it is in my pocket, or being thrown into a swimming pool I dont have to worry about my phone stopping working...Also, qualified diver here as well and I agree, I wouldn't take it with me on a scuba dive.
    Now, that's a more appropriate argument. Point taken. It's a nice feature. It is rare in a smartphone though.

As I am currently on my phone right now about to head into a meeting, I can't grab the sources and put them on the post, when done in the meeting, I shall do so for you and PM it over.
    Happy to consider any relevant facts.

Also, seems every post you make regarding Apple products (not just iPhones, but Macs, Macbooks, iTunes etc) you can't help but state how awesome they are and nothing compares. Soon as someone posts contrary, you are up in arms. Fanboyism at its best.
    Actually, what usually happens is someone takes a dig at anything Apple such as you did when you hadn't actually read the article and made a rash comment. If you worked with me, you would know I'm no fanboy. I call it like it is and sometimes Apple does stupid just as good as other companies do stupid. OS X 10.7 received a lot of grief from me. So has their VPP program. That one still gives me the #!$!@ sometimes.

To prevent this turning into yet ANOTHER thread where YOU have instigated a flame war, I shall recommend this thread be closed.
    I didn't know rebutting an argument with facts amounted to a flame war. Well, there you go. You learn something new every day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Where in the world (literally) are you getting your 15% market share figures?
    16.1% in Italy, 12.5% in France and 11.9% in the UK.

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone...tober-numbers/

I'm not sure where Nephilim is getting his figures from either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is 9.3% Windows Phone in Australia as at 2013, double 2012. • Smartphone OS: market share in Australia 2012-2013 | Statistic

Those are the kind of numbers that Apple fans were proclaiming as a real foothold in the desktop market which is smaller than the smartphone one.

Almost 10% of sales in the UK were Windows phone • Chart: Windows Phone is Doing Quite Well in Europe | Statista

Given those kind of stats people would have about a one in ten chance of having one in some areas, more if they really cared about their photos. I like my Lumina and the photo quality for a phone is epic. I have no doubt the iPhone can take a nice photo but I think that the competition was a bit unfair in this instance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    All the graph shows is that the quality of photography that can be done with phones is improving at a faster rate than the EOS XXD range is improving.
    It also shows that the iPhone 4S and 5 are better than the Samsung S3, but the iPhone 5S isn't as good as the Galaxy S4.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    OK, might not be scuba diving with a phone, but I can work my phone in the bath without a problem, or in the shower
    I don't want to see any pictures you take with your phone in that case.

7. 6 Thanks to foofighterjim:

hardtailstar (18th March 2014), Little-Miss (18th March 2014), LosOjos (19th March 2014), mac_shinobi (19th March 2014), nephilim (18th March 2014), synaesthesia (18th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The "major competitor" argument doesn't really hold up, especially when the article starts with:
    From Blind Camera Comparison: vote for the smartphone camera you like best
    It has been a while since we last had a blind camera comparison, don't you agree? Last time was over three months ago, when the NokiaLumia 1020 devastated the competition, followed by the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 5s, which took second and third place respectively.
    Hmm...so in the last test, they did test a Lumia, which won, and the Galaxy S4 came second and the iPhone 5s third...but this time the iPhone 5S came first with the Galaxy S4 coming 5th and no Lumia present.

Yeah I'm not going to draw too many conclusion from this 'test'.

Thank Post
    It could be the:

- Faster A7 processor
    - Fingerprint scanner
    - all metal body
    - Better camera
    - Minimal price difference

That makes people buy the 5S over the 5C. I actually think Apple made a misstep in selling a phone with those distinctions that was only slightly less expensive than their flagship model. I think an iPhone "mini" (iPhone 4 size) with the 5C processor and camera sold for 30-40% less or so might have worked, but not as it is.
    fingerprint scanner is that anything but a gimmick?

as to camera phones getting better quicker than dslr's well duh they started at a lower point. its easier to make a dacia better than it is to make an aston martin better

does seem a bit lopsided excluding nokia lumias whatever you think about market share you have a phone that is marketed at having good lenses and you ignore it. On new phones im sure iveseen stats that say windows phone is now outselling ios phones
    Last edited by sted; 18th March 2014 at 09:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    fingerprint scanner is that anything but a gimmick?
    Apparently, it's only a gimmick if you are Apple since loads of Smartphones are expected to have one in the near future. And the Galaxy S5 already has one although they are apparently running into production problems

does seem a bit lopsided excluding nokia lumias whatever you think about market share you have a phone that is marketed at having good lenses and you ignore it. On new phones im sure iveseen stats that say windows phone is now outselling ios phones
    What is the market share of the Lumia smart phones? Is it a major market share competitor with Apple and Samsung, no Nokia is in the "Other" group when top smartphone manufacturers are listed (according to market share). Therefore, it didn't make the cut. If it was a comparison of ALL smartphones available, of course the iPhone wouldn't be at the top. It was a test of some of the most popular.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I shall straight up apologise, the article I read stated 15 million handsets, and being tired, I some how read it as 15 Percent of handsets. So my bad, the remainder of my posts however stand.

Thank Post
    Apparently, it's only a gimmick if you are Apple since loads of Smartphones are expected to have one in the near future. And the Galaxy S5 already has one although they are apparently running into production problems
    no i still think its a gimmick if every phone has it i just dont see the need/point and why would i want apple/google to have my fingerprints?

13. 2 Thanks to sted:

LosOjos (19th March 2014), nephilim (18th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    no i still think its a gimmick if every phone has it i just dont see the need/point and why would i want apple/google to have my fingerprints?
    Almost every laptop has them despite them being proved almost useless in every pen test by people who don't manufacturer them for a living. I thing required gimmick status does apply, there are mythbusters EPs that show how bad they all are.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Typical of an iPhone related post to concentrate on things that barely make a selling point. I still can't understand why people buy a 5S over a 5C.
    RAM. Max 32Gb on the 5C, 64Gb on the 5S. It's the reason I bought the 4S I have now. I need 64Gb for all my MP3's.

That said, I think - after having owned a iPhone 2, iPhone 3S and iPhone 4S - I'll be going for a Sony Z1 Compact, or maybe Z2 next time! iPhone is far, far too expensive even on heavety contracts to be worthwhile any more. I can get a more than good enough Sony at half the cost and fit a 64Gb SDHC card.

On topic...

Not questioning the validity of the original artical or other wise - The results do make sense given Apples history at choosing quality components over price/specifications. Picturer quality on cameras as alway been about lens quality over everything else. Wouldn't surprise me to learn Apple are buying the best lenses and sacrificing pixel count on cost.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    RAM. Max 32Gb on the 5C, 64Gb on the 5S. It's the reason I bought the 4S I have now. I need 64Gb for all my MP3's.
    Umm, its not RAM its flash memory and I'd give you a dollar if you can fit in 8 SODIMMs in to upgrade it's RAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Umm, its not RAM its flash memory and I'd give you a dollar if you can fit in 8 SODIMMs in to upgrade it's RAM
    A dollar's not very much Do they have to be working once I've got 'em in there? Might not get the back on the case - would gaffa tape be fine?

(of course I meant flash storage)

18. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

SYNACK (18th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast