+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iOS7.1 Released in Technical; So it would appear iOS 7.1 has been released but im sure ive seen this "New" caller display on my ...
    Thank Post

iOS7.1 Released

So it would appear iOS 7.1 has been released but im sure ive seen this "New" caller display on my Samsung before Apple?

ios-7-point-one.jpg

Thank Post
    Ha, don't be so silly, if Apple says this is a revolution then it must be a revolution right?

Thank Post
    Apple = "Re-Inventing" someone else's tech!

4. Thanks to fairm010 from:

abillybob (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

iOS7.1 Released

I can go you one better...

ImageUploadedByEduGeek1394536682.059734.jpg

Nothing like reinventing someone else's ideas, eh?
    Last edited by seawolf; 11th March 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Something constructive:

iOS 7.1 and AppleTV 6.1 contain a Bluetooth pairing method for AirPlay. With this it is really easy to connect to an AppleTV that is located in a different subnet. Before we had to use a Bonjour Gateway, creating a huge list of all our AppleTV's and Macs in the network on a iPad. With this (with my limited testing so far..) it only shows the AppleTV's that are really nearby and have swapped IP information for AirPlay. Great solution.

7. 4 Thanks to Wiebbe:

AngryTechnician (11th March 2014), cookie_monsta (12th March 2014), spadam (11th March 2014), TronXP (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I can go you one better...

Nothing like reinventing someone else's ideas, eh?
    Do not think anyone would dispute the fact that Apple were the first to create an oblong phone with full screen. Not done much since then tbh.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

iOS7.1 Released

Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Do not think anyone would dispute the fact that Apple were the first to create an oblong phone with full screen. Not done much since then tbh.
    I suppose if trying to cram a thousand new "features" a year (aka bloatware) or selling phones with screens the size of a house is what is required to be "innovative" then Apple couldn't be described as very innovative.

However, if producing the highest quality smartphones with the most intuitive interface, the most powerful and efficient 64-bit mobile processor available, a secure and integrated ecosystem free from malware, the best selection of the best designed apps, and satisfied customers isn't innovative - then I don't think Apple really cares.

Thank Post
    I remember not following the sheep and going with this little beauty a year later! Divx playback etc... you name it, it had it, even a mouse trackpad if you prefered was brilliant out performed the iPhone.

Apple - Copy's ideas from others and passes them off as theirs
    Samsung - Finds a good idea that sells and improves it

Also your picture doesn't make sense, the reason Samsung smartphones looked different before 2007 is because all smartphones or PDA's back then, where running Windows Mobile OS, so of course they looked completely different. Then android was released in early 2007 along with iOS in the same year, that's when Samsung smartphones begun to change, Samsung haven't copied anything, if it was anybody it was Google's Android based system that copied. But as they where both released in the same year it proves noone copied either, though android decided to give the users freedom in what they can do with their devices and Apple went for it's locked down eco system, apart from that noone copied noone, but now iOS are having to up their game a bit as Android is slowley taking over the market as people are getting bored of the same interface year on year so Apple now have to start copying what Android is doing simple really.
    Last edited by abillybob; 11th March 2014 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I remember not following the sheep and going with this little beauty a year later! Divx playback etc... you name it, it had it, even a mouse trackpad if you prefered was brilliant out performed the iPhone.

Apple - Copy's ideas from others and passes them off as theirs
    Samsung - Finds a good idea that sells and improves it
    ROFL...

12. Thanks to seawolf from:

Jwzg (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiebbe View Post
    Something constructive:

iOS 7.1 and AppleTV 6.1 contain a Bluetooth pairing method for AirPlay. With this it is really easy to connect to an AppleTV that is located in a different subnet. Before we had to use a Bonjour Gateway, creating a huge list of all our AppleTV's and Macs in the network on a iPad. With this (with my limited testing so far..) it only shows the AppleTV's that are really nearby and have swapped IP information for AirPlay. Great solution.
    Nothing new then hehe!

Have been using this bluetooth pairing method on my Samsung GS4 in conjunction with my Yamaha YSP14 sound bar for the past 6 months..........Apple probably pinched part of the protocol from them hehe!

14. Thanks to bossman from:

abillybob (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Nothing new then hehe!

Have been using this bluetooth pairing method on my Samsung GS4 in conjunction with my Yamaha YSP14 sound bar for the past 6 months..........Apple probably pinched part of the protocol from them hehe!
    You can send sound from your phone to a speaker over Bluetooth! Wow, how does that work?

Sorry, but the absurdity of these comparisons just does my head in. It's like saying "Oh, yeah, well my horse and carriage had wheels long before your Tesla had them."

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Nothing new then hehe!

That's not what this is doing though. Apple aren't using Bluetooth to transfer the data, they're just using it for discovery. Considering that Airplay usually uses Bonjour for discovery and that doesn't work over subnets without considerable buggering about I can see the utility in this.

He didn't say that, did he? He said that the A8 is the most powerful and efficient 64 bit mobile processor which is true. It's also the only one as well which makes the first point a little less impressive.

This isn't much of a selling point at the moment but the 64 bit transition in the mobile space is going to come eventually. Qualcomm and the like have already jumped on this bandwagon and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Android phones will start trumpeting this in the next year or two as well.
    Last edited by witch; 11th March 2014 at 02:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The 64-bit part isn't what makes the A7 processor so much faster or efficient - right now. It's just an ace up the sleeve that no one expected and has now laid the foundation for something game changing in the near future. Other companies are now scrambling to catch up with the company that can't innovate its way out of a paperbag according to many of you. We shall see...

http://bgr.com/2013/12/17/iphone-5s-...r-competition/
    Last edited by witch; 11th March 2014 at 02:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread is rapidly derailing, person attacks will lead to temporary bans! This is the only warning.

On an iOS 7.1 note, it has improved performance quite a bit on my test kit (esp iPhone 4) here but I have not used it in anger yet as I dont use iOS as daily driver.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 11th March 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Ugh I cba to debate this anymore even though I quoted him saying that! Sometimes there's no way of bringing a sheep out from it's herd!
    Actually, as someone else pointed out, you quoted him as saying "the most powerful and efficient 64-bit mobile processor available", which isn't quite the same thing as you then argued against.

I'm always slightly bewildered by this "sheeple" and "herd" argument. Are the "sheep" in this case Apple iPhone users? Because there are more Android users, suggesting they're the bigger 'herd'. Or are you referring to mobile phone users in general? Are they the 'herd'? Or oxygen-breathing bipedals in general?

Incidentally, it's a flock of sheep, not herd...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast