+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iOS7.1 Released in Technical; For some information actually relevant to the title of this thread http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03...-review-early/...
  1. #16

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    For some information actually relevant to the title of this thread

    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03...-review-early/

  2. #17

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,970
    Thank Post
    673
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350

    There's no need to make personal attacks.
    Let's keep things civil please.

    Edit: Baaa (!) - too late.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 11th March 2014 at 01:08 PM.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,038
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 187 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    You could have both and install the iphone launcher on an android phone. YAY.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iphonelauncher

  4. #19
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,320
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 142 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Nothing new then hehe!

    Have been using this bluetooth pairing method on my Samsung GS4 in conjunction with my Yamaha YSP14 sound bar for the past 6 months..........Apple probably pinched part of the protocol from them hehe!
    Apple have a better system , AirPlay, which i believe Google are trying to mimic with Chromecast. I have 4 Apples TV's round the house at home, and i can beam BBC iPlayer, my iTunes library, YouTube, Netflix etc to any of them with a simple press off my iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. My Mac since 10.8 also supports AirPlay. No cables, no fuss, technology working as it should. It takes the Apples TVs out of standby and the TVs auto switch to the correct input all from pressing Airplay on device.

  5. Thanks to Quackers from:

    mac_shinobi (11th March 2014)

  6. #20

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,568
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 318 Times in 234 Posts
    Rep Power
    208
    What I'm trying to imply is a lot of people listen to these Apple "Talks" adverts where they say things like "We have made the phone 0.000001mm less thicker and that innovative!" slightly over exaggerated but you get my point. The comment is not directed to all iPhone users, believe it or not I have an iPhone now "gasp" it annoys me when people listen to what Apple say and believe it is all the truth, Apple like to state everything they come out with is innovative and new "added a 0.5" more display on a screen" that isn't new and innovative! But people look at it like it's pure gold then someone whips out a 6.3" Samsung Mega and say that's stupid, my question is why?

    Why do you think the 6.3" Mega is stupid but when Apple make their phone screens bigger its innovative and new, amazing etc... The sheep are those that believe everything Apple has to say and run behind following the people who say them. At the end of the day everyone has their preferences, I don't for 1 second think the 64bit processor will make a single bit of difference in daily performance really... but what hets to me is that if Apple say it's the next best thing everyone thinks that must be the case that's what I define as a "flock" of sheep!
    I think having a locked down eco system and more is actually a good thing especially from a users point of view what I don't like is if someone decides to buy a Mac it will only ever work with an Apple mobile product you can't plug an android device in for example that's the silly part that Apple actually lock down the consumer into their brand! Just thought i'd confirm what I was trying to say here!
    @ZeroHour, I'm sorry I shouldn't have responded the way I did, I just don't like being laughed at when I'm trying to put across my point.

  7. #21
    foofighterjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    400
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 72 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I think having a locked down eco system and more is actually a good thing especially from a users point of view what I don't like is if someone decides to buy a Mac it will only ever work with an Apple mobile product you can't plug an android device in for example that's the silly part that Apple actually lock down the consumer into their brand!
    Imagine the outcry if this was Microsoft taking this approach.

  8. #22

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrince View Post

    Incidentally, it's a flock of sheep, not herd...
    Like one Shepherd said to the other, let's get the flock outta here !!

    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Edit: Baaa (!) - too late.
    That's another Baaa'd Joke
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 11th March 2014 at 01:25 PM.

  9. #23

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Nothing new then hehe!

    Have been using this bluetooth pairing method on my Samsung GS4 in conjunction with my Yamaha YSP14 sound bar for the past 6 months..........Apple probably pinched part of the protocol from them hehe!
    I thought apple tv / airplay used bonjour, although not sure what they use to stream the audio / video as far as codec's, I presume h264 / mp4 or similar ?

  10. #24
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,320
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 295 Times in 231 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    What I'm trying to imply is a lot of people listen to these Apple "Talks" adverts where they say things like "We have made the phone 0.000001mm less thicker and that innovative!" slightly over exaggerated but you get my point. The comment is not directed to all iPhone users, believe it or not I have an iPhone now "gasp" it annoys me when people listen to what Apple say and believe it is all the truth, Apple like to state everything they come out with is innovative and new "added a 0.5" more display on a screen" that isn't new and innovative! But people look at it like it's pure gold then someone whips out a 6.3" Samsung Mega and say that's stupid, my question is why? Why do you think the 6.3" Mega is stupid but when Apple make their phone screens bigger its innovative and new, amazing etc... The sheep are those that believe everything Apple has to say and run behind following the people who say them. At the end of the day everyone has their preferences, I don't for 1 second think the 64bit processor will make a single bit of difference in daily performance really... but what hets to me is that if Apple say it's the next best thing everyone thinks that must be the case that's what I define as a "flock" of sheep!
    I don't think that anyone, not even Apple, has said that increasing the size of the iPhone was an innovation. An improvement, certainly but not an innovation. And speaking from a personal perspective, I think a 6.3" screen on a phone, any phone be it Apple, Samsung, Nokia, Huiwai, Lenovo or Crazy Joe's House of Phones is stupid because it's an excessively large screen size. Somewhere between 4" and 5" is big enough for a device that's being used in one hand in my opinion.

    What Apple have claimed as an innovation when it comes to screens is increasing the resolution. They were the first to offer >300dpi screens on phones and eventually all the other phone manufacturers followed. Not so say that they wouldn't have eventually but Apple were the first.

    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I think having a locked down eco system and more is actually a good thing especially from a users point of view what I don't like is if someone decides to buy a Mac it will only ever work with an Apple mobile product you can't plug an android device in for example that's the silly part that Apple actually lock down the consumer into their brand! Just thought i'd confirm what I was trying to say here!
    When have Apple done that? You can plug an Android phone into a Mac. You can plug a Windows phone into a Mac. Microsoft have even made a software connector for Microsoft phones for the Mac. The only thing Apple have stopped people (Palm) doing is pretending that their phones are iPhones to fool iTunes into syncing with them. I think that was petty on Apple's part but there you have it.

  11. #25

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,568
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 318 Times in 234 Posts
    Rep Power
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Imagine the outcry if this was Microsoft taking this approach.
    Exactly my point if all of a sudden Microsoft said we won't allow you to manage android or iOS devices using our major OS or if Linux based OS's only allowed Android, forcing people to have to abide by their rules is a con in my eyes, it's a selfish way of making more money out of the consumer and I don't think it's fair to do so. Apple are very lucky that even though the OS they have designed is locked down to Apple products other manufacturers such as Linux based OS or Microsoft based are still supporting their devices because if Microsoft turned round tomorrow and said we no longer support Apple products they would loose 2/3 of their customer base straight away unless people are going to shell out near to £1000 for a Mac.

    My point is being with either Linux or Windows gives the consumer more freedom in the products they want to use and how to use them and this is why I'd never recommend Apple products to anyone, I believe everyone has the right to use what they want, also when they buy hardware or software should have the right to do what they like with it whether thats add new things, edit files it's yours, you paid for it, do what you like. Though Apple don't take this approach, for example you think the Mac OS sitting on your MacBook Pro is your's right? Wrong! It's againsed Apple EULA to use that software that you have bought with the Mac with your own hard earned cash on any other machine and that's down right just being nasty!

  12. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Hague
    Posts
    14
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I thought apple tv / airplay used bonjour, although not sure what they use to stream the audio / video as far as codec's, I presume h264 / mp4 or similar ?
    You are correct. Bonjour is a broadcast protocol though which makes it very hard to route across VLANS / Subnets. For the codecs they support MPEG4 and H.264 codecs. You can test this by using something like Airserver or AirSquirrel, they require you to install aditional codecs on windows. Aerohive offers their Bonjour Gateway which listens to all subnets and rebroadcasts bonjour requests over different subnets, it works but if you have 80 AppleTV's in the same subnet you end up with 80 AppleTV's on your iPads.

    Now with the Bluetooth exchange of AirPlay information only the ip adresses are exchange. If your routing is correct they connect in an instant and you only see the AppleTV that is actually nearby your actual location. Works like a charm for classrooms.
    Last edited by Wiebbe; 11th March 2014 at 01:37 PM.

  13. #27

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,568
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 318 Times in 234 Posts
    Rep Power
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    When have Apple done that? You can plug an Android phone into a Mac. You can plug a Windows phone into a Mac. Microsoft have even made a software connector for Microsoft phones for the Mac. The only thing Apple have stopped people (Palm) doing is pretending that their phones are iPhones to fool iTunes into syncing with them. I think that was petty on Apple's part but there you have it.
    Try plugging a nexus 5 into a Mac and load music onto it then you'll understand.

  14. #28

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    The sheep are those that believe everything Apple has to say and run behind following the people who say them. At the end of the day everyone has their preferences, I don't for 1 second think the 64bit processor will make a single bit of difference in daily performance really... but what hets to me is that if Apple say it's the next best thing everyone thinks that must be the case that's what I define as a "flock" of sheep!
    It helps your case if you don't try to make a strong argument against cold, hard facts. The cold hard facts are that the A7 processor blew away every other smartphone CPU at the time of its release based on independent testing. No fairy dust or reality distortion field required.

    http://gizmodo.com/iphone-a7-chip-be...s-e-1350717023

    You will find my arguments to almost always be rational and based on logical analysis of available data. If that's being a sheep, then baah!

  15. #29
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,320
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 295 Times in 231 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Try plugging a nexus 5 into a Mac and load music onto it then you'll understand.
    According to Google, you need a transfer agent:

    https://support.google.com/nexus/s/answer/2840804?hl=en

    What's the problem?

  16. #30


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,899
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Rep Power
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Apple have a better system, AirPlay, which I believe Google are trying to mimic with Chromecast.
    My Nexus 5 supports AirPlay too. As Apple say, there's an app for that!

    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Try plugging a nexus 5 into a Mac and load music onto it then you'll understand.
    You don't even need to do that if your music has been uploaded to Google Play Music or can be accessed via DLNA.

    There are also lots of ways to transfer files wirelessly to an Android device e.g. AirDroid, DroidNAS etc.
    Last edited by Arthur; 11th March 2014 at 01:43 PM.

  17. Thanks to Arthur from:

    mac_shinobi (11th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 26th November 2010, 03:42 PM
  2. Newsforge release OO.org training videos for free
    By Geoff in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd November 2005, 03:44 PM
  3. Promethean Recent Releases
    By drjturner in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th July 2005, 12:04 PM
  4. Firefox 1.0.5 Released
    By Geoff in forum Downloads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th July 2005, 10:30 AM
  5. MS release update rollup for W2k SP4
    By Geoff in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th June 2005, 09:23 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •