+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Apple App Store and Downloading Apps in Technical; Hi Wondering if anyones got any ideas, we have numerous io 7 devices and we can't seem to download apps ...

Thank Post

Apple App Store and Downloading Apps

Hi Wondering if anyones got any ideas, we have numerous io 7 devices and we can't seem to download apps in school anymore. We can search the store, find the app, sign in and click install. The app then shoots the the main screen as expected but then hangs on the downloading icon, this also happens when trying to re download apps in school. Has anyone got any ideas? I wasn't sure if it was a port issue or something? We do use a proxy server though RM's broadband I've contacted them but they don't seem sure.

Thanks

Steve

Thank Post
    Hi

There is a similar thread here:
    IPad App Download Issue

We had the same issue and our internet filter provider (LEA) said that apple had changed the server configuration or something so they had to alter their filter settings. Can't really expand on that sorry but it's definitely a change on your filter needed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Hi

There is a similar thread here:
    IPad App Download Issue

We had the same issue and our internet filter provider (LEA) said that apple had changed the server configuration or something so they had to alter their filter settings. Can't really expand on that sorry but it's definitely a change on your filter needed.
    It typical of your LEA or ISP to blame Apple for this issue, it got nothing to do with Apple it is all because schools are now buying Caching Servers (part of Mac OS X Server)

Caching server lets you cache copies of both Mac OS and iOS updates locally on your own network to save on bandwidth, the server sends a push notification to the App to announce itself and then sits behind your Firewall in the school. However most LA's have been using the same public I.P. address for all their schools (to save money) so when you as a user tries to download an update from the App store, Apple thinks this is another schools caching server and points your device to this server in a different school.

LA's will have to change their infrastructure soon otherwise I can see them getting stressed...

Thank Post
    Or ypu buy a mac server. If you can update it. Glad to have a public ip. Must be a pain sharing one with multiple schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Or ypu buy a mac server. If you can update it. Glad to have a public ip. Must be a pain sharing one with multiple schools.
    You misunderstand me.....

Because the LA is using the same public I.P. for all of their schools, if one school buys via the Mac App Store and configures caching server 2 on a Mac OS X Server, then other schools that use the same public I.D. in the LA will redirect updates and apps to that caching server without them even knowing.

LA's need to change the way they give out I.P. Addresses to school and will need to invest in more than just one for every school otherwise caching systems will fail, this does not apply to just iOS devices.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread