+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Handheld devices - what's the best option moving forward? in Technical; Mods please forgive me I have already asked a similar question but after talking to the SMT member who is ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Handheld devices - what's the best option moving forward?

Mods please forgive me I have already asked a similar question but after talking to the SMT member who is trying to drive this one I have a better idea now of what he has in mind.

We are predominantly a Windows establishment Server 2008 with Windows 7 clients. We have circa 150 workstations / laptops and rarely have more than 50 online at any one time. We currently have 70 students - EDB KS3 school.

What he wants:

Students to be able to work on something like the App Pages where they can quickly integrate work take pictures of the science project they are doing for example and combine it in a document which they can then printout at the end of the lesson.

Practicalities:

Storage / charging of devices when not in use.

Storage of back up of work.

Practicalities we have School Agreements with both Adobe and Microsoft based on FTE.

Licencing of Apps or whatever on devices.

Wireless network. with Ruckus Zone Director and 5 points.

Anything else I need to consider?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Umh - no one got any thoughts on this one it seems? What are you folk using in your schools please and what works good and bad?

Thank Post
    hi mate, we have nothing handheld in school right now simply don't know how or what to implement...if I was forced to purchase tablets I would be looking at Samsung Galaxy tab 8" maybe mine was 150 and I use it around school but no idea about the practicalities of putting this into an educational establishment. In terms of charging/storage I would be looking at something similar to this LapCabby Tablet Computer Trolley | Innovative laptop & tablet trolleys | New Thinking in ICT Storage

You would also need to consider some decent cases for any tablet device you get tough them up a bit.

4. Thanks to Griff from:

speckytecky (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Just got some Samsung Galaxy tabs 3 8" version for the staff to play with. If they like them will get some for the pupils. Another option would be touch windows devices.

6. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

Thank Post
    After looking at windows surface, Android and Apple, we're doing the Apple route. Some hate them, some love them, but from a management perspective, and a teaching and learning one too, its just far simpler. There are loads more apps, all tested to see if they work on the device, VPP is ready for UK (Not us in CH yet) and a training program which is led by teachers in schools already using them.

8. Thanks to jallsop from:

Thank Post
    Would also look at LearnPads as they have multi user support and can map to network drives on server.
    LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My personal view is that as we currently have 20 iPads and as the staff have managed to borf three of em then there is no way I'd let Emotionally and Behaviourally Disturbed teenagers anywhere near them - especially as the current intake seem hell bent on making work for me at every opportunity (iMac plus a Win7 client today failed to start in a timely fashion so both have had to be wiped and restored.

My KS3 daughter would love access to some of the quality kit our boys have, the system does seem very skewed!

However, I can see the logic behind giving the lads something that they can use that will enable them to easily integrate pictures and all in a project. This is something I need to explore and I don't want to go off half cocked when it comes to making a purchasing recommendation. Your replies are gretly appreciated - thanks very much.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Would also look at LearnPads as they have multi user support and can map to network drives on server.
    LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education
    We've got 15 of these and I've found them to be rubbish. Everything has to be pre-planned and authenticated, so for example you can't let your kids 'loose' researching via google. They rarely seem to check in with the server, so updating whats on them can take several attempts, and when using Education City, they are painfully slow, sometimes don't load, don't play...don't bother!

12. Thanks to quietriot1983 from:

speckytecky (28th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Really? researching is a doddle using the tool menu and web browser. Surely most things need to be pre-planned and authenticated to give you control over content. we had a small problem with some of our dual core tablets dumping the wireless, however a firmware fix seems to have fixed that and you sure the problem with speed isn't your network. have you raised your concerns with Learnpad?

14. Thanks to Chrisd342 from:

quietriot1983 (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisd342 View Post
    Really? researching is a doddle using the tool menu and web browser.

It's not though,is it? I can't use the browser to go to google, type in a search query and read on a site that comes up in the results.

Thank Post
    we adapted the tools default setup and added a shortcut to Google ..

17. Thanks to Chrisd342 from:

quietriot1983 (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    we adapted the tools default setup and added a shortcut to Google ..
    is that easy?

Thank Post
    As far as I can see, a shortcut to Google is easy to set up, it's what happens when the children find & click a result - you'd have to also have 'allowed' any websites they click in advance.

Thank Post
    We recently got 40 Surface RTs for exclusive use by kids, we are still in process of what apps will be installed, but we are moving to web based learning material so only really need a browser.

From a management POV it is a nightmare, we are going to look at possible management apps (MS Intune), when time permits.

Pros:
    - heavy discounts (whether is good value im not sure right now)
    - comes with office

cons:
    - RT (not compatible with some of our software)
    - management (hopefully Intune will help with that)

21. Thanks to mikeyd101 from:

speckytecky (3rd March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread