+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Detecting jailbroken devices in Meraki in Technical; Hi All We've had a small issue with Students jail breaking their iPads. While this has been dealt with from ...

Thank Post

Detecting jailbroken devices in Meraki

Hi All

We've had a small issue with Students jail breaking their iPads. While this has been dealt with from a discipline point-of-view I'm trying to find someway to keep half an eye on whether the little darlings have jail broken their iPads or not. Hopefully within our MDM (Meraki).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Not sure its possible. To be honest if they have jailbroken their iPad they could have easily removed Meraki. We use Meraki and it will inform us if someone has removed it by going into settings profiles but if you do a wipe then jailbrake I don't think it can pick up the fact Meraki is no longer on the said device. One of the many joys of iPads i'm afraid o I love ipads.

Thank Post
    We use meraki for our mdm and it sends me a weekly report that includes whether the ipad is jailbroken or not ....
    Not sure how accurate it is :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lmgtfy View Post
    Not sure its possible. To be honest if they have jailbroken their iPad they could have easily removed Meraki. We use Meraki and it will inform us if someone has removed it by going into settings profiles but if you do a wipe then jailbrake I don't think it can pick up the fact Meraki is no longer on the said device. One of the many joys of iPads i'm afraid o I love ipads.
    Here's a little trick we use to stop that. All student iPads have a WiFi profile that is installed after they are enrolled. If the MDM profile is removed, WiFi goes bye-bye as well. So, if we have a student come to us saying "my WiFi is gone" etc. we know straight away that they have deleted their profiles and then we start investigating what they have done to it that would convince them to do something so stupid (after we've drilled into them what will happen if they do).

Sometimes, it's just something innocuous and they just have decided to wipe the iPad or they got a new iPad and restored a backup, but this doesn't include the profiles and we fix those straight away. Other times, we find they've removed the profiles to install apps that are banned or to jailbreak. And then we promptly inform them that their iPad is banned from the school, or if the violation wasn't too severe we might just make them suffer with no WiFi for a month or so. Wireless Broadband is nearly useless here for students as there is almost no reception (1 bar) so banning them from WiFi leaves them with little recourse other than to suffer the consequences of their bad choices.

5. Thanks to seawolf from:

lmgtfy (26th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread