+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, What IS the best handheld for KS3 classroom use? in Technical; Certain members of our 'management' seem desperately keen to let our Emotionally and Behaviourally Disturbed KS3 boys have iPads for ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What IS the best handheld for KS3 classroom use?

Certain members of our 'management' seem desperately keen to let our Emotionally and Behaviourally Disturbed KS3 boys have iPads for classroom use. Having seen how some teachers have managed to wreck iPads I'm not keen and ask for justification of the planned spend. Yet to thrash that one out. However, we are predominantly a MS domain with iPads for teachers (Airserver use in particular) and Macs for Art the latter running through a Mini Mac Server for AD integration.

If we do go the hand held route for the students I'm trying to get a 'feel' for what would [B]really[B] and offer best value.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is it the students will be doing on these devices?

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

speckytecky (23rd February 2014)

Thank Post
    How about a pen? SLT are always so quick to jump on the iDevice wagon, as if this is the answer to all their prayers.

We've recently been implementing these devices throughout our Academy, and rarely have I seen them put to any decent use.
    The problem is, while SLT love the idea of them, quite often the teachers aren't ready to truly introduce them into their lesson plans.
    This results in the devices being used predominately as a sedative for the somewhat more challenging students.

That being said, I've been tasked with purchasing another class set tomorrow...

iForgot

Thank Post
    Just get them their iPads. Nobody ever got fired for following the herd and buying iPads

In these days of BYOD I've given up trying to influence staff as to which device they should be using as everybody has their own personal preference when it comes to tablets/phones/laptops/etc. I think the key thing is to provide, as far as possible, a system behind the scenes that allows whichever device someone is using to access all of the required school resources.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 23rd February 2014 at 07:02 PM.

6. 2 Thanks to flyinghaggis:

DocHouse (23rd February 2014), speckytecky (23rd February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wish I knew @FN -GM ! It all seems to be on a bit of a whim at present. Other schools have it so we must as well; I have asked if it can be justified but go date no answer to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What is it the students will be doing on these devices?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Probably a good philosophy @flyinghaggis but I'm sticking out for the case to be justified - seen to many wild brained half cocked purchases in the past!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Just get them their iPads. Nobody ever got fired for following the herd and buying iPads

In these days of BYOD I've given up trying to influence staff as to which device they should be using as everybody has their own personal preference when it comes to tablets/phones/laptops/etc. I think the key thing is to provide, as far as possible, a system behind the scenes that allows whichever device someone is using to access all of the required school resources.

Thank Post
    If they want Ipads get the Ipad 2 16GB with a tough case, if they want an android device get something like the nexus 7, we've even used the HTC One S's as a replacement for cameras here and they worked really well. Wouldn't recommend RT tablets as they're limited, but it depends what the SLT want the children to get out of them and what they expect them to do. We sat down as a thinking party before hand and looked at the curriculum and saw where a tablet would work well, where laptops where better suited and where a PC or Mac could be used. This resulted in us getting 200 Ipads, 80 student laptops and a Mac suite with the option to run Win 7 to keep staff happy. Also worth going over the wifi with a fine tooth comb as IPads can use a lot of bandwidth.

Don't fall into the trap of they've got it there so we want it, what ever you choose has to work right for your school.

10. Thanks to DocHouse from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you're on the right track, but the question that should always be asked is not what is the best handheld device for ks3 but what do you want to achieve, and would a handheld device help this.

Once you know the precise goal, you can make sure you pick the right device.

12. Thanks to Marshall_IT from:

Thank Post
    The iPad 2 is coming to the end of production - Apple iPad 2 to face chop after three years of availability - Tablets - News - HEXUS.net

If I had the choice - Bay Trail powered Windows 8.1 Pro tablets. Similar money to iPad (or cheaper, depending on the model) but with AD/GP/etc. Battery life isn't even close to iPad, but still impressive.

14. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    I was pretty impressed with LearnPads especially from a management side of things....

Thank Post
    The iPad by far has the best content and experience for the students we have found, that after all is the important part.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think that you unfortunately seem to have hit the nail on the head there @boomish Most of the minuses are on the side of managing the flipping things. Has anyone written a definitive paper on how to set up and manage iPads in schools I wonder; it would be hugely useful.

Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
    The iPad by far has the best content and experience for the students we have found, that after all is the important part.

18. Thanks to speckytecky from:

boomish (6th March 2014)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
    Your wish might have been granted -

If you're US based and bought your iPads from Apple in the US.

Thank Post
    lol did you expect anything else it's a start at least..devices are registered differently in the US.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast