+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Can You Recommend an MDM Solution for iPads and Surface RTs? in Technical; One of our schools has around 60 iPads that we now need to support and at the moment they are ...
  1. #1
    Fazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    206
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Question Can You Recommend an MDM Solution for iPads and Surface RTs?

    One of our schools has around 60 iPads that we now need to support and at the moment they are unmanaged so we're looking for a Mobile Device Manager solution so we can easily look after their devices for them.

    Are you using an MDM solution that you're happy/unhappy with and care to share your experience? Then please let me know roughly how many devices you use it with and an approx costing as I have no idea at this stage how much this is going to cost us?

    We've also got a few Surface RTs that I'd like to use with MDM too.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,785
    Thank Post
    541
    Thanked 237 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    58
    Not sure where you are but we have just signed up for a MDM through the County IT support company,

    I'm in Kent and this is it http://www.eiskent.co.uk/default.cfm...uct%20Overview

    seemed cheap and easy to use, only had them set up for about a week.

    EDIT: If you're not in Kent then im not sure they would do it.

  3. #3
    Frut02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    126
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Have you looked into meraki? It's free! Not sure how much you can do with it though!

  4. #4
    SovietRussia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Powys, Wales
    Posts
    607
    Thank Post
    67
    Thanked 131 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    If you also have Surface RTs, you might want to look at Windows InTune - Its pricey from what I can remember, but you get an integrated MDM solution that supports Win RT + iOS, Android, the usual etc

    Windows Intune | Microsoft

  5. #5
    Fazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    206
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Frut02 View Post
    Have you looked into meraki? It's free! Not sure how much you can do with it though!
    From what I understand it's a pain to set up but once done it's OK but doesnt handle Surface RT's. And the person who told me this is interested in whatever MDM solution we go for as they want a proper one themselves!

  6. #6
    Fazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    206
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Not sure where you are but we have just signed up for a MDM through the County IT support company,

    I'm in Kent and this is it http://www.eiskent.co.uk/default.cfm...uct%20Overview

    seemed cheap and easy to use, only had them set up for about a week.

    EDIT: If you're not in Kent then im not sure they would do it.
    They're using lightspeed which is normally sourced through your ISP as it may replace your existing firewall, it's something we've discussed with our ISP and they are a reseller so it all depends on what other MDM solutions you guys can tell us about so we can get quotes and work out the most cost effective solution that meets our needs.

    I'm guessing from the lack of replies, schools that have purchased iPads are not managing with an MDM solution and have just handed them out to people.

  7. #7
    GeekyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In a cold dark server room.
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Apple configurator for iPads. It easy to use if all you want to do is what your overlords at Apple deem acceptable. Personally I find anything Apple frustrating and annoying. (for F-Annoy than Fan-boi).

    Still to tackle Droids and we have no plans to go Win Surface. Especially not RT.

  8. #8
    SovietRussia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Powys, Wales
    Posts
    607
    Thank Post
    67
    Thanked 131 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazza View Post
    They're using lightspeed which is normally sourced through your ISP as it may replace your existing firewall, it's something we've discussed with our ISP and they are a reseller so it all depends on what other MDM solutions you guys can tell us about so we can get quotes and work out the most cost effective solution that meets our needs.

    I'm guessing from the lack of replies, schools that have purchased iPads are not managing with an MDM solution and have just handed them out to people.
    For RTs, the best solution is InTune, as I posted above.

  9. #9
    Fazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    206
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Apple Configurator is exactly that a configuration tool, it doesn't manage your iPads - at the moment for our own (very) small batch of iPads we use configurator to basically wipe the iPads after each use and put them back to our Golden Image but this is not Mobile Device Management.

    I appreciate the best solution is InTune but at around 10 per device, per month it is way out of our price range.

    So far I have found at least 8 MDM solutions but so far on EduGeek people are only using a couple of them, I was hoping to get some proper feedback from Schools rather than listening to a salesperson of each company telling me there's is the better solution!!!

  10. #10
    SovietRussia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Powys, Wales
    Posts
    607
    Thank Post
    67
    Thanked 131 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazza View Post
    Apple Configurator is exactly that a configuration tool, it doesn't manage your iPads - at the moment for our own (very) small batch of iPads we use configurator to basically wipe the iPads after each use and put them back to our Golden Image but this is not Mobile Device Management.

    I appreciate the best solution is InTune but at around 10 per device, per month it is way out of our price range.

    So far I have found at least 8 MDM solutions but so far on EduGeek people are only using a couple of them, I was hoping to get some proper feedback from Schools rather than listening to a salesperson of each company telling me there's is the better solution!!!
    If I were you, try and go for Meraki, I know it won't support RT, but how many RT devices do you have? Can you manage them locally? (I know its a pain!)

    (Also, I don't see any sales people here...)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Can anyone recommend an armoured mobile touch screen display for PE?
    By Iosoma in forum AV and Multimedia Related
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th March 2013, 04:41 PM
  2. Can you install an msi from a gpo on CC3?
    By reggiep in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd February 2009, 09:57 AM
  3. Can you use an R1 key with R2 media (CD1)
    By adamscybot in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th February 2009, 05:56 PM
  4. Can you have an OU in an OU?
    By TechSupp in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th April 2008, 11:33 AM
  5. Can anyone recommend an AV/Multimedia Supplier???
    By secman in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 3rd May 2006, 07:42 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •