+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, I actually feel like going into the corner and crying, these iPads are ridiculous! in Technical; Hey Guys I'm really hoping some of you can help me with this, I'm not even going to rant, I'm ...

Thank Post

I actually feel like going into the corner and crying, these iPads are ridiculous!

Hey Guys

I'm really hoping some of you can help me with this, I'm not even going to rant, I'm at this stage where I couldn't be less bothered anymore there is that many issues. Ok so basically I tried using Meraki to deploy apps to the iPads but then there was too much faffing when trying to get Smoothwall and county to sort this out so I gave up on it as I was having more and more teachers come up to me each day with more apps to put onto the iPads.

I though I'm just going to stick with configurator and do it this way even though 60 of our iPads don't have any sync trolley (Thankyou Mr Line Manager). So I set up an iPad to test and loaded up the MacBook, went to the VPP store and downloaded all the codes then grabbed the first code, went onto itunes store, redeemed the app (which it didn't automatically download for some reason) so downloaded it manually, went to apple configurator imported the codes from the spreadsheet, came up saying 20 available great so far!

Plugged in the iPad and tried to deploy the app and I get this error "Can't retrieve code for "Times Table Pro", so as soon as it gets to this point the iPad stop configuring and nothing gets installed, profiles etc... nothing.

Does anyone know why this stuff is happening, I'm just at wits end I spoke to Apple support in Ireland one bloke "Eamon" said I was doing it wrong and that I should use 1 Apple ID for both buying the app and codes then I got transferred to the VPP team who confirmed he was wrong. The only response I got from the VPP team was we don't know why we will look into it, this was 2 weeks ago, I have emailed and tried contacting me back but they never replied once.

I'm frustrated with the whole thing and I'm sick of these iPads and I'm sick of the staff who decided to buy them in the first place. I'm getting really upset and about to give up if anyone could give me a hand I'd really appreciate it.

Thankyou!

Thank Post
    Anyone?

Thank Post
    Your VPP account must be separate to the account trying to redeem the apps, also the Mac you are using must be an authorised PC in iTunes

E.g here we have

it@schoolname as the Apple ID signed into all the iPads (55 of them)
    vpp@schoolname as the VPP Manager's account which you sign into VPP with to make the transactions

When you try and push the apps in Configurator, it will ask for credentials - you must not use the VPP Manager's account.

For it to work properly, you must sign into iTunes on that Mac using the Apple ID you use for your iPads, and then authorise the Mac on that Apple ID - The Apple ID must also be the same one you enter into Configurator when prompted to install apps.
    Last edited by SovietRussia; 31st January 2014 at 12:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Cheers mate, but that's exactly how we have it set up so I'm not doing anything wrong there??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Cheers mate, but that's exactly how we have it set up so I'm not doing anything wrong there??
    Nope, all seems fine. Seriously though, to get all ours working was practically witchcraft - I don't think I could recreate how I did it as you try so many things!

Thank Post
    Fully agree with you there it's all such a mess, I'm doing everything by the book yet Apple Configurator still has bloody problems grrrr!

Thank Post
    I find I have to close out of configurator and then opening it again it will ask for the apple id and then it will work. Seems to lose it if you have configurator open for any length of time. I also re authorize in itunes after closing down configurator.

Thank Post
    Hi is it trying to assign the redeemed code that you used earlier? I think if you go back to the VPP site and re-download the codes the firs one will have gone (been redeemed) and you can then assign the remainder through configurator.

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds to me like your firewall or web filter may be blocking you. Some of the Servers used by Apple for installing iOS updates, and VPP app redemption can be blocked by app blocker or web filtering settings. I have gotten 3004 errors before because of this and it took me a few hours to figure out what was causing it.

Thank Post
    I found the same as Yugo. Configurator has refused to install apps a few times. I just close it down, reopen and deploy, and then it prompts for the ID and password again. The apps install fine then.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Keep apple devices to 1:1 and let the user install apps. This is the only proper way to use them.

Thank Post
    Just restarted the Mac and I'm now trying to install the apps onto an iPad and so far so good let's see if it completes. If that is the case then what a ridiculous piece of buggy, rubbish and stupidly made piece of software!
    @zag, I would although we don't have enough iPads for 1:1!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    what a ridiculous piece of buggy, rubbish and stupidly made piece of software!
    It does have its quirks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    It does have its quirks!
    Ha "quirks" isn't the word!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread