+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Setting up a few Android Tablets in a primary school. User account and apps question. in Technical; The primary school are a Google Apps for Education school and all staff do have a Google email account. When ...

Thank Post

Setting up a few Android Tablets in a primary school. User account and apps question.

The primary school are a Google Apps for Education school and all staff do have a Google email account.

When setting up an ipad, I was told that it is best to use a single account on all tablets, is this the same for Android or can all the staff simply use their own GAPPS accounts.

What is the best way to legally get and purchase apps on all Android tablets. Can we use gift cards or something like that.

What is everyone else doing?

Thank Post
    I'm interested to hear how you get on with this. I keep being badgered to buy iPads but simply can't justify the cost per unit of functionality.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    I can't base this on use in school, only on my own ownership of an android tablet and it is one account per tablet. Trying to switch between accounts woukd be cumbersome.

Thank Post
    Take a look at Learnpad...app deployment is done from their website and there is a library of apps there already...

You can buy their tablets or use their software on your own...

5. Thanks to CESIL from:

will_ (2nd February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks, CESIL. I've been looking at LearnPad - probably their software on third party hardware. I'll start my own thread for other questions as I'm at risk of hijacking this one.

Edutech, does your school have a debit / credit card? I would imagine your bursar would not want it linked to any account permanently but perhaps it could be used as required. Vouchers do sound like quite a tidy (if a little cumbersome) solution, though.

Thank Post
    Apple have adu volume licence scheme. Google do as well play education but you need google apps setup.

Thank Post
    Google do as well play education but you need google apps setup.
    We do have Google apps for education setup but never seen anything about play education. How does that work? where do I look to setup?

Take a look at Learnpad
    Was something I was looking into already.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    where do I look to setup?
    Google Play for Education is still US-only.

www.edugeek.net/forums/netbooks-pda-phones/113352-google-play-education.html#post1086379

It appears that Google is only interested in selling Chromebooks to UK schools for some reason?

Google for Education goes to BETT Official Enterprise Blog
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd February 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Thank Post
    I would be getting them if they were out in the UK. Any news on UK release?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Any news on UK release?
    Not heard anything myself. Even when it is available in the UK, I think GPfE will probably be restricted to tablets purchased through Google themselves (based on the description for the Google Edu Device Setup app).

NOTE: This app requires a Google Play for Education administrative account and will only set up Nexus tablets purchased through Google Education
    Google's setup app makes bulk Play for Education tablet activations a breeze Engadget

Once the app is downloaded from the regular Play Store and the slates are activated, age appropriate settings -- like disabling location sharing -- can be configured and when complete, only the Education Store can be accessed. As you might expect, this tool only works with Nexus tablets procured through the proper scholastic portion of Google's online shop.

Thank Post
    In terms of management. Does it uae activ sync?

Thank Post
    OK, one of the issues I have been trying to get my head round is the accounts side of things. All staff have a Gmail account but none of the pupils do as they are very young. I was not really sure how we could set a few android tablets up to be shared by the pupils even if they will have the learnpad software installed over the top as they do not have accounts.
    The only way I can think of getting round this issue is to create each of the tablets an account in Google Apps rather than creating an account for a user, a bit like all desktops and laptops have a windows account. So I will create a OU in GAPPS called Tablets and then create all the tablet accounts in this.

How does that sound?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread