+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Connecting to projector... in Technical; Hi All, My Head has just asked me to purchase a cable that will connect her shiny to an old ...
    Thank Post

Connecting to projector...

Hi All,

My Head has just asked me to purchase a cable that will connect her shiny to an old vga projector in our assembly hall...

I have just read some comments on the official Apple 30-pin to VGA Adapter that says it will not show some content.

It also looks very short!

Anybody have a solution?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Assuming there's a PC connected anyway, look at Reflector. Cheap, works.

Thank Post
    The VGA adapter isn't great, sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it stops when it has been working and plus you can barely move the iPad as the cable comes out the dock connector far too easily. Do what @synaesthesia said or invest in some Apple TV's with mirroring!

Thank Post
    @alexbillbridgnorth - I doubt the investment in even more shiny for the limited amount of use it will get is worth it.
    @synaesthesia - This part also gives me a headache as they are not on the same VLAN.

Many corporate and educational networks are split into segments called subnets. Reflector must run on a computer in the same subnet as the desired connecting device. Bonjour and mDNS multicast traffic must also be enabled.

As the PC is on curriculum VLAN and the ipad obviously connects to the wireless VLAN.

Kol.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, bum. Similar issue here (not got it yet but investigating). Assumed routing would take care of that, and as broadcast packets are forwarded didn't think it'd be an issue. Maybe something they'll look at in future. It works lovely on one of my primary's flat networks, naturally!

edit: Odd that AirParrot isn't similarly afflicted, unless their documentation is a bit squiffy. May be worth contacting them.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 27th January 2014 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    True, not all content will work on the VGA connector and other that a long VGA extension cable it may be a little short. The bug Bear I have with the VGA cable is that it's impossible to tell what will work without trying it. Some media playback apps don't allow it for the same reasons that Apple have hacked bluetooth, USB wired connections and won't give you a flash card slot. Apple say what you will do with THEIR equipement, not you. Others just haven;t thought about it. It seems that it has to be catered for programatically in the app. If you buy one Test before use every time. Even if it worked before. We found that SplashTop updated and never worked again. Granted, due to the complexity of the network, wireless on a separate vlan and all.

With all that said I have mayde 12 teachers who do use it frequently as most things do indeed work ok.

One thing I did see that made me chuckle, one teacher had her iPad on a visualiser attached to the projector!

Thank Post
    We have 1 teacher here that uses reflector, There's also a demo version of reflector which I think allows 20 minutes of use, a good way to check out to see if its a workable solution.

We flattened out our vlans during last summer network re-address.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    One thing I did see that made me chuckle, one teacher had her iPad on a visualiser attached to the projector!
    Ha ha! Nice one! A bit like the photo of an ipad on a photocopier (solving the ipad's printing problem)...

It just really hammers home the fact that as it was designed as an individual personal resource (read toy) not a business or educational device, Apple really missed the educational boat and I think certainly underestimated the market they could have captured. Strange they seem to have captured a lot of it regardless...

Still, that doesn't solve my problem, do I buy it and tell the Head 'it might not work' doesn't sound very IT competent does it...?

On that note 25 for what is essentially a VGA cable!? Anyone know if a 'pukka' one can be had cheaper (not fleabay china knock-offs if poss).

Kol.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    NM just said that's probably the first time a visualiser's seen some proper use! Webcam on a stick!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use AirServer and according to its support page, its works over VLANs and multiple subnets.
    Quote: AirServer - Support

Q. Does AirServer work with VLANs or multi-subnet environments?

Yes, AirServer will work in this configuration as long as the iOS device and computer are connected to the same network. Bonjour must also be accessible across the network.
    In most cases Bonjour will not be accessible across the network as it's blocked by default. However, here is a guide you can look over, or send to your networking Administrator to look over, regarding Bonjour across Layer 3 Networks and Multiple Subnets:Wireless LAN Apple Bonjour Deployment Guide - Cisco Systems
    Also, ask your administrator to ensure that multi-casting is enabled on the network and make sure your firewall is configured to allow AirServer to receive incoming networking traffic.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can apparently use a fair few systems to span vlans, couled Bonjour Gateways (this comes from Reflector support) Aerohive being one.

Thank Post
    I may well have the option to use a 'Composite AV Cable' instead as I believe this is hooked up.

Does anybody have any experience with this cable?

Kol.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread