+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Avoid a password prompt? in Technical; Hi Guys! Ive been given the task of making 60 ipads operable within our Academy and feeder schools based on ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation Avoid a password prompt?

Hi Guys!

Ive been given the task of making 60 ipads operable within our Academy and feeder schools based on the users being the pupils and for obvious reasons NOT having access to the apple ID password that we will be using. I have looked at many different ways of setting up the ipads and I think I may have found an easy solution using the Meraki web based MDM. This seems to work fine when not used with the Apple Configurator (the ipads seem to keep forgetting the WiFi after some time when prepared with AC? But thats a whole different thing!)

The issue I am faced with at the moment, is that after a period of time, the iPads want to have the Apple ID password typed in again. The idea of these iPads are that they able to install apps wirelessly from my station. Does anyone know a way around avoiding the password prompt? Ive looked on the Meraki site and i cant seem to find the option to turn this off? I understand this is potentially a security risk but its the only way i know of (in the short time ive had to research this) to be able to deploy the apps quickly without having them all bought back into my office everytime I am asked for a new app to be installed.

I know this all sounds bitty but Im in a bit of a rush and would appreciate any advise or suggestions from those that have already done this sort of thing? Any questions to help just let me know.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    unfortunately not. This is a problem with Apples framework they need to verify the account holder as you are effectively downloading from the app store there is no work around for this! Welcome to the struggle that is Apple in Schools over time you will find a lot more problems with them

We have 100 iPads here so if you need any help I'll o my best to answer your questions!
    Last edited by abillybob; 22nd January 2014 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh iPads, we are about to order 6 of the blighters onto a Trolley, we currently have one per class ( about 20), aqnd we are looking to use Meraki too (it's trialled on a few), but as Alex said, it's an issue with Apple themselves rather than meraki, and any MDM software will have the same issue.

You were saying about the wifi/Apple configurator, does setting the wifi with meraki not work then???

Thank Post
    How we do it is apply most of the free apps, supervise the ipads and a wifi profile via Apple Configurator. Then use Meraki to push out Paid apps and the odd free app staff want to certain tagged iPads. I found the wifi issue was the same for me because the ipad can't connect to meraki via the internet to retrieve lockdown and settings if you don't have a separate profile for just Wifi configuration.

So bit of a mouthful you need to supervise all ipads and create a separate wifi Profile on Apple Configurator then download and install the meraki profile!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apple Configurator is the program you need a Mac OS for, right?

Thank Post
    Correct Apple's way of keeping you in their ecosystem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post

Thank Post
    As mentioned above, the way to do this is to use Apple VPP and then some sort of management program such as either Apples own server or Meraki and then it will allow you to silently push out Apps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    That's the one!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    As mentioned above, the way to do this is to use Apple VPP and then some sort of management program such as either Apples own server or Meraki and then it will allow you to silently push out Apps.
    Wait, so if you have Apple VPP, and you set it up via Meraki, you won't need the password every 15 minutes? (sorry noob here) need to get on some form of training!

Thank Post
    Wow! I didn't expect so many replies so quickly! :O

Originally, I started to use the Apple Configurator alone, creating a profile that stored the Academy's WiFi info and proxy settings. This deployed fine onto the ipads however I couldn't find a way of deploying free apps using the configurator as freebies can only be deployed via MDM and not a redeemable code (when purchasing from VPP). To get around this i looked into the MDM solutions and found Meraki! I thought "this is great, I'm going to be able to get these ipads off my desk at last!" But no. It turned out that when i tried to install the Meraki profile (after preparing the ipads with our settings) they kept failing. Eventually i decided to leave the Apple Configurator all together because when it was installing okay, the iPads were forgetting the WiFi info, thus needing to constantly typing in the password again!

Now I have only used the Meraki on a couple of ipads OOTB and the WiFi doesnt seem the be an issue (hoorah!) The issue now is all about the Apple ID prompt. Am i really going to have to have the ipads brought back into my office every term or time a teacher finds a new app that's resourceful?! I have questions regarding VPP too but Ill get to that once i know what my options are!!

Thanks for all the responses guys - i dont feel so alone!

Thank Post
    Tricky_Dicky is wrong there sorry but Meraki can't push apps out "Silently" only Apples stuff can via caching on a server (which has it's problems) or via Apple Configurator

Thank Post
    I found I had issues more when deploying the Meraki profile via Apple configurator. I set them up using Apple configurator first and install Wifi profile after that I then install Meraki management profiles manually by going to m.meraki.com I know it's a ballache but once setup it's done forever then if you do it this way you won't/shouldn't have any problems. My advice - chuck the iPads away if you can or stamp repeatedly on each one on purpose but "accidently" screaming I AM SPARTA! Otherwise you will have more problems to come across!

Edit: Free apps can be deployed using Apple Configurator, download the app via iTunes, import it to Apple configurator and Sync
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlInIT View Post
    Wow! I didn't expect so many replies so quickly! :O

Originally, I started to use the Apple Configurator alone, creating a profile that stored the Academy's WiFi info and proxy settings. This deployed fine onto the ipads however I couldn't find a way of deploying free apps using the configurator as freebies can only be deployed via MDM and not a redeemable code (when purchasing from VPP). To get around this i looked into the MDM solutions and found Meraki! I thought "this is great, I'm going to be able to get these ipads off my desk at last!" But no. It turned out that when i tried to install the Meraki profile (after preparing the ipads with our settings) they kept failing. Eventually i decided to leave the Apple Configurator all together because when it was installing okay, the iPads were forgetting the WiFi info, thus needing to constantly typing in the password again!

Now I have only used the Meraki on a couple of ipads OOTB and the WiFi doesnt seem the be an issue (hoorah!) The issue now is all about the Apple ID prompt. Am i really going to have to have the ipads brought back into my office every term or time a teacher finds a new app that's resourceful?! I have questions regarding VPP too but Ill get to that once i know what my options are!!

Thanks for all the responses guys - i dont feel so alone!

Last edited by abillybob; 22nd January 2014 at 11:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Tricky_Dicky is wrong there sorry but Meraki can't push apps out "Silently" only Apples stuff can via caching on a server (which has it's problems) or via Apple Configurator
    I don't think I am, but willing to stand corrected.

you aren't pushing the App out to the device, but rather the user account on that device. Thus you need to make sure the option of installing apps automatically is turned on on the iPad itself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm now more confused than when i started to read this thread!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So, would any of you suggest for me to use Meraki for now, then when we need more control, look towards adopting Apple Configurator?

we currently dont have the money until April to Buy a Mac Mini or anything, the budget's being eaten by our pending iPad order.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast