+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Avoid a password prompt? in Technical; If you're buying iPads really you should get a Mac with them! @Ticky_Dicky can you let me know how I ...

Thank Post
    If you're buying iPads really you should get a Mac with them! @Ticky_Dicky can you let me know how I enable this feature and I will test. If this is the case I will be overwhelmed with happiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    So, would any of you suggest for me to use Meraki for now, then when we need more control, look towards adopting Apple Configurator?

we currently dont have the money until April to Buy a Mac Mini or anything, the budget's being eaten by our pending iPad order.

Thank Post
    To me the only sensible way to push out apps is to Use a macOS device with Apple configurator on to download the apps and supervise the iPads. Use a Syncing charging trolley to charge and Sync them after each use or over night. You can get trolleys that take upto 32 iPads. This may be all you need. If you have 10 class sets then they would need to bring them in to get the new apps, or you could take your Macbook to their trolley to sync them. Alternatively each trolley could have a MacBook and the teachers could sync them themselves. This can all be done will VPP to purchase the apps and "gift" them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As i said, no money yet haha.

i fear i have hijacked this thread, but it's all kind of relevant.

What have you guys got to run apple configurator, we're looking at buying the lowest spec Mac Mini, then buying Mac Os Server ( i understand you can get it for a tenner)

also bare in mind we Don't currently have any Macs,and i am not familiar with them....
    Last edited by Tesla; 22nd January 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    I'm using MacBook Pro's we do have a Mac Server here but I wouldn't bother if you just have iPads and one mac to manage! The lowest spec mac mini will do fine for Apple configurator! Mac OSX is more simple than Windows in my opinion things are just in different places. Personally Apple kit is meant to be a personal device even networking a Mac causes problems as they're not as customisable as a Windows based computer! Stick with Windows have one mac mini to sync and you'll be fine! If you can afford it later on get an Apple Mac Air as it will annoy you having to fetch all the ipads it's handy to just take the mac to the trolley!

What have you guys got to run apple configurator, we're looking at buying the lowest spec Mac Mini, then buying Mac Os Server ( i understand you can get it for a tenner)

also bare in mind we Don't currently have any Macs,and i am not familiar with them....

Thank Post
    For instructions for Meraki try these:
    https://kb.meraki.com/knowledge_base...ribution-model

Like I said, you are deploying the Apps to the user account, not the device. In settings -> iTunes & App Store. Make sure automatic downloads is turned on for Apps and Updates.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So do you need to link each iPad invidiually when you do updates? :S since you said about taking mac to the trolley

Thank Post
    Tested doesn't work here still prompts for password! I've spoken to Meraki and they have said this is not the case I know this all Meraki does is send a request from it's servers with a download link to the app then the app starts downloading. It doesn't send them to your account only if it did do this the user would be forced to go into the app store look under purchased apps and click download. When you put something on Meraki such as an app Meraki then tells the iPad to download the app at that particular link from the app store! I know this for a fact as that is what Meraki said they do when I was setting up Smoothwall and this way it makes more sense then deploying it to your user account as you don't even have a place to input your user account information in Meraki so how would it know who you are!

Though when the ipad has downloaded the app it puts it into your account as it can see you have downloaded it.
    Last edited by abillybob; 22nd January 2014 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    No because you buy a sync trolley which allows you to connect multiple iPads to one USB port!
    So do you need to link each iPad invidiually when you do updates? :S since you said about taking mac to the trolley

Thank Post
    Fair enough, I stand corrected.

However, there is no reason this shouldn't work. It isn't Meraki that needs to know which accounts it needs deploying to, it's apple. When you setup apple VPP it will send an email to all the users that you invite asking them to enroll themselves on to the account. This way Apple knows who is linked to which account. Once this is done all Meraki needs to do assign the licence to the group you set, so students for example, it would then talk back to Apple and say assign X app to Y account. With automatic application download enabled the app would then download in the same way that if you had an iPhone and iPad the app will download to both when purchasing on one or the other.

Thank Post

I understand. I have been in your position. The first Mac was bought to manage the iPads. There are plenty of walk throughs on setting it up and it's not that hard. Regarding the money, just tell the leadership how it is. They can use the iPads as they are for the time being, but whoever bought them (I hope it's not you) didn't do their homework. To get them working how they want needs a Mac. Simple. Buy me the tools to do the job (Mac and a Sync trolley) and you'll get it working how you want. Until then you'll have to put up with it.

The trolleys come in two flavours remember, some just charge and some charge and sync. Make sure you get the right one.

Thank Post
    We've got 84 in school Ipads which we configured originally using apple configurator and an IPad dock, we've also got another 80 Ipads that go home and we use Meraki on top of the configurator to add additional items as required.

In an ideal world it would be great to silently push out apps but I've seen nothing yet that can do it, so we have to make a compromise. Staff seem happy with it so far but its not ideal.

All the Ipads are linked to the VPP account and the schools ipad account which has a single password, staff are told when a app is about to be deployed and given instructions along the line of
    - Switch Ipad on
    - Open Meraki MDM
    - Select the app from the available list
    - Wait for the ITunes server to request a password
    - Enter the password given in the email (This is then changed after the install to prevent misuse)
    - Follow on screen instructions to install app.
    - Meraki then reports if app has successfully installed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry if i'm misunderstanding, but why are they having to open the Meraki MDM? Does it not just get the updates automatically, prompting for the password?

Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    We've got 84 in school Ipads which we configured originally using apple configurator and an IPad dock, we've also got another 80 Ipads that go home and we use Meraki on top of the configurator to add additional items as required.

In an ideal world it would be great to silently push out apps but I've seen nothing yet that can do it, so we have to make a compromise. Staff seem happy with it so far but its not ideal.

All the Ipads are linked to the VPP account and the schools ipad account which has a single password, staff are told when a app is about to be deployed and given instructions along the line of
    - Switch Ipad on
    - Open Meraki MDM
    - Select the app from the available list
    - Wait for the ITunes server to request a password
    - Enter the password given in the email (This is then changed after the install to prevent misuse)
    - Follow on screen instructions to install app.
    - Meraki then reports if app has successfully installed.
    Last edited by Tesla; 6th February 2014 at 02:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Just to let all you folks know get profile manager set up properly (if you have a mac server) this will allow silent push of apps to all iPads and Books and Settings. Here's a small tutorial video sounds difficult but not really once you get your head around it good luck!

Last edited by abillybob; 6th February 2014 at 02:09 PM.

14. Thanks to abillybob from:

biz (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    cheers, will give that a look when i have more time, does this eliminate the need for an MDM such as Meraki, or are you still using it over the top?

Thank Post
    I no longer use Meraki. This is Apple's own MDM solution, it works on an internal network so no cloud based problems will be coming your way! You supervise a device using apple configurator and load up profile manager then enroll that device to specific users that is linked with an apple ID email address. You then tell profile manager what apps to deploy to that individual user. Well worth the look mate and a lot much simpler than it sounds may take you a week or two of playing with an test iPad to get it 100% though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast