+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Chromebook - Opinions ? in Technical; Hello Fellow Geeks, I am after opinions on these devices for a possible personal device for me, my aged laptop ...
    Thank Post

Chromebook - Opinions ?

Hello Fellow Geeks,

I am after opinions on these devices for a possible personal device for me, my aged laptop has given up the ghost with a disk dying, my wifes laptop was an awful advent 9415 which shes blown the speakers on and mangled the power connector on the back of, so I am looking at possible replacements, I trialled a Samsung celeron based one of these for work in the summer term for a fortnight and was very impressed by the device, especially when I looked at the spec first off and thought it would be crap without actually diving in to try it.

In terms of my day to day, I generally only use chrome to browse the web and I can live with not being able to play WoW on a laptop if its something fast, light with good battery life.

I use google+, gmail, google drive and the usual on-demands from sky, bbc, itv, ch4/5 and netflix with a couple of other websites.

I would like opinions off someone who owns them or uses them in their school, on a more regular basis than I do.

I am looking at possibly the Toshiba/Samsung Models (I won't touch Acer or HP because of my own "quality" issues with acer and I have yet to see a HP laptop not want to spontaneously combust or burn up in some way) I would prefer an intel/AMD based processor rather than ARM with the exonyx.

Thanks,

Richard

Thank Post
    I would say you need to think about how good your internet connection is when considering a Chromebook.

I was at a seminar before Christmas with a hands-on with various devices. The hotel it was in seemed to have very dodgy wifi internet and the Chromebooks were almost impossible to get to do anything. I think they have a reasonable offline mode if you have no connection, but with a poor connection, they were very frustrating.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    In terms of my day to day, I generally only use chrome to browse the web and I can live with not being able to play WoW on a laptop if its something fast, light with good battery life.

I use google+, gmail, google drive and the usual on-demands from sky, bbc, itv, ch4/5 and netflix with a couple of other websites.

I would like opinions off someone who owns them or uses them in their school, on a more regular basis than I do.
    We use them in classes and I've made some use of one. I think if your use is as stated, restricted to web apps and you have a reasonable expectation of internet connectivity most of the time, then it could be a good solution.

You might try the USB Chromium OS build on your laptop. It shouldn't matter that there is no HD.

Thank Post
    Sky Go needs silverlight. I don't think this is available for chromebooks as of yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_G View Post
    Sky Go needs silverlight. I don't think this is available for chromebooks as of yet.
    Silverlight will never be available for ChromeOS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    You might try the USB Chromium OS build on your laptop.
    FWIW, Hexxeh no longer maintains his Chromium OS builds - the last update was April 2013!

Arnold The Bat's website would be a far better place to download Chromium OS since he updates it daily, includes additional wireless/graphics drivers and you can update the operating system via his dev server.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

pcstru (10th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys ill give it a try I think, I liked the light feel of using it when I had the trial samsung one, I had a feeling silverlight would be a minor issue, similar to me having with Linux on my desktop machine, can get around that though on the wifes ipad if need be.

Dont think it would be a massive problem, at home we are 120mb VM and all family have decent internet thankfully, just wait on the toshiba chromebooks to make an appearance I think, as all Samsungs on offer now seem to be that exonyx processor which I find offputting.

Thank Post
    Netflix website also requires Silverlight, this is what has stopped me from going down this route.

Thank Post
    People report it working though on there, so it makes for confusing reading on that, I get silverlight is an issue there, It does do the majority of stuff I want though looking at it, the chrome plugin which I use to watch american shows on fox/cbs and the american networks all works like a charm

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    People report it working though on there, so it makes for confusing reading on that
    NetFlix uses the Widevine plugin on ChromeOS now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread