+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad 2 - Mass App Delivery Problems - Primary School Use - HELP in Technical; Hi Guys, I work in a primary school, and we have just had in some iPad 2's. I've found a ...

Thank Post

iPad 2 - Mass App Delivery Problems - Primary School Use - HELP

Hi Guys,I work in a primary school, and we have just had in some iPad 2's. I've found a great bit of software called: Apple Configurator. It's great for supervision on the iPads, as ive been able to block a lot of features that can change things on them.But when i try get apps on all of them. I'm pretty puzzled.The method im doing now:- I'm connecting one of the iPads into itunes without the others being connected, and download the app i want to push out to all of them. (eventually)It syncs to the connected iPad... Fine. But now i have that app on the computer. I then plug all the ipads in to send that app out to them. But i need redemption codes? I dont know how to get these, and are they free?Can someone please explain to me how to this process at a more simpler level that works. Or just a way that works. And can you please explain what these redemption codes are.Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I hope you can help.Thank you.-Kris

Thank Post
    I think Meraki will do what you need

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/systems-manager

It's free

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As above, ditch Configurator and use Meraki instead. It'll make life infinitely easier for you.

Thank Post
    Ive seen and heard of Meraki. But its blocked on our suppliers ports. So we cant use this. We need another way. Thank you for your help though.

Thank Post
    I use Lightspeed's MDM, just because we get a great deal through our LEA, the other option could be to run your own MDM server through Profile Manager on OSX server but you will need an OSX device with the server utils :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So speak to your supplier! You can't be held to ransom for things like that otherwise you would be massively held back. If not, I'd be shouting at them like crazy telling them to buck their ideas up or get out of the business. It's a 5 minute change for them regardless of who they are and what system they use.

Thank Post
    Yes but they are saying that it would be threatening to open up those ports. Pretty silly if you ask me, but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    So speak to your supplier! You can't be held to ransom for things like that otherwise you would be massively held back. If not, I'd be shouting at them like crazy telling them to buck their ideas up or get out of the business. It's a 5 minute change for them regardless of who they are and what system they use.

Thank Post
    Basically, redemption codes are used when you're trying to install paid apps. You can install as many free apps as you like and Configurator will install them without the need for any codes. Paid apps are purchased through the online Volume License store- Apple (United Kingdom) - iPad in Education - IT - Volume Purchase Programme

You specify how many copies of that app you need and then pay. A few minutes later it generates a spreadsheet containing the codes. Use one code to 'Redeem' the app in iTunes, go back to your VPP account and re-download the spreadsheet to regain that code back. Go to Configurator and when it asks for those codes, you simply import the spreadsheet.

9. Thanks to j224 from:

KrisTech (9th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @KrisTech: be more insistent, they should be there to help you and your school, not hold it back. It's not threatening; no more than anything else on the planet. It's Cisco, so it's probably using the same kit your provider is using.

Thank Post
    I am trying free apps but this still seems to be the problem.

Thank Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sounds to me like you're using Configurator all wrong. To install Apps with Configurator, you do not touch the iPads (aside from connecting them to the mac running Configurator). You need to download the app via iTunes on a mac, then drag the app from ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/ into Configurator's Apps pane. However, this will only work for free apps, and if you're going to use Configurator, do not buy apps via iTunes. You'll need to set up an account at the volume purchase portal, where you can buy redemption codes for paid apps. You then download the spreadsheet of redemption codes, and redeem the first code in iTunes to download / import the app into Configurator. After that, you have to re-download the codes, which will be updated to show the redeemed code. You then import the app, then the codes for the app into Configurator. You have to go through a bit of a process, and I may have missed something, so I really recommend that you read the support docs before you jump in.
    Last edited by Driftingashore; 9th January 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Apple updated its VPP Program in November so you now just directly buy the Apps and they import into your MDM and don't bother with Spreadsheets and codes.

Apple (United Kingdom) - iPad in Education - IT - Volume Purchase Programme

So now there is 2 options for VPP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread