+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, VPP, licensing for one account but mountains of iPads? in Technical; Hi, Our school has a load of iPads that are for general use. These do not belong to one person. ...

Thank Post

VPP, licensing for one account but mountains of iPads?

Hi,

Our school has a load of iPads that are for general use. These do not belong to one person.

I have setup a VPP account and brought 30 licenses thinking one for each iPad.

I used Meraki to deploy but it looks like MDM's licence to a user rather than a iPad.

The school has one user which is used on all iPads. What is the correct way of doing this? They all belong to the school so would 1 licence cover all of them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Hold on to your hat.

First off: 1 licence does not cover all your iPads on one Apple ID. This is allowed for consumer use but is specifically not permitted for everyone else (schools included). So you've done the right thing by buying 30 licences.

There are two ways of buying and deploying app licences with VPP.

First method

The first is the original method (which I think is what you've done) where you buy 30 licences and get 30 claim codes in return. You paste those codes into your MDM and instruct your iPads to claim them.

As you've spotted, when the iPad claims the code, it assigns the app to the Apple ID in use on the device, not the device itself. This means if you have the same ID on 30 devices, it will usually only claim 1 code the first time, but install on all the other iPads anyway because the App store is set to auto-download any apps on that Apple ID. On the other hand, if you have a different Apple ID on each device, all 30 codes will be claimed.

In both cases, once the codes are claimed by the Apple ID they are permanently associated with that ID and cannot be transferred to another Apple ID in future. Legally it also doesn't really matter whether all the codes are claimed or not, just that you have purchased the right number of codes to fulfil your device numbers.

Second method

The second, much newer method is what's called Managed Distribution. In this scenario you link your MDM directly to VPP, so you never see any claim codes. You buy app licences in VPP and they show up automatically in your MDM, where you assign them directly to specific named Apple IDs. The device that has this Apple ID associated with it then receives the app automatically. I'm 99% sure you have to use one user per device for this (someone please correct me if this isn't the case). The advantage to this system is that you can reclaim the licence from the Apple ID and use it on a different Apple ID in future. In most cases you also won't have to confirm the app install on the device like you do with the first method: it just installs via push (so long as you have automatic install turned on in the App Store settings).

Lastly, it's worth noting that the type of licence you buy is an either/or deal: you either get a claim code OR a managed distribution licence. You pick which you want when you buy, and you can't swap from one to the other after purchase.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 8th January 2014 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    I've just had to setup 32 ipads with method 2 with the apple configurator/profile manager combination.

A few points:

Method one didn't exist for *new* VPP accounts when I tried it. The option was simply not there.

For two you need to create one Apple ID *per ipad* and enroll them all, with profile manager I was able to install apps silently without passwords (at last!)
    You need iOS 7 (and 10.9 if using profile manager).

FYI you can only create a few Apple IDs per IP per day. You need to contact your "Apple representative" to have it temporarily increased (whoever that is!)

Thank Post

VPP, licensing for one account but mountains of iPads?

Thanks both.

I ticked the managed distribution option and posted the role into the MDM.

This seems to go by user yeah as Dmccoy mentioned. Luckily I only brought the cheapest app for £20 total.

After more research the redeemable code (first option) can apparently be used with apple configurator and as long as it's removed using the same mac and configurator the redeemable code becomes active again to install on another iPad from that mac.

Going to try that tomorrow as it seems easier than having multiple management program's and sounds one code per device rather than per user.
    Although the managed distribution sounded like that too.

I can't see me string down and creating email and apple Id after email and apple Id. If that's what they want then they can do it for me .
    Last edited by dany2010; 8th January 2014 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I've just had to setup 32 ipads with method 2 with the apple configurator/profile manager combination.

A few points:

Method one didn't exist for *new* VPP accounts when I tried it. The option was simply not there.

For two you need to create one Apple ID *per ipad* and enroll them all, with profile manager I was able to install apps silently without passwords (at last!)
    You need iOS 7 (and 10.9 if using profile manager).

FYI you can only create a few Apple IDs per IP per day. You need to contact your "Apple representative" to have it temporarily increased (whoever that is!)
    You don't need a Apple ID per device, it depends on your deployment model. It doesn't actually matter what Apple ID "redeems" the VPP code.

Thank Post
    This is apple response so far to my question. It recommends using apple configurator.

Not sure if this is possible with managed distribution apps. They might be thinking of the individual codes.

"With the usage of some MDM options it is required that each user have an Apple Id. I know that many third party companies work in this way. With Apples Apple Configurator you are able to assign all apps out to the same Apple ID.

It is required that you purchase as many copies of an app as you have devices in use with that app. This will ensure that you meet our requirements if audited. That being said, if you have 24 copies of an app in use by students you must own that many copies."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    You don't need a Apple ID per device, it depends on your deployment model. It doesn't actually matter what Apple ID "redeems" the VPP code.
    When I tried the same ID on multiple devices it only used one license and prompted for installation username/password. I was unable to try the previous method with multiple codes, as I said before, it was AWOL from Apples VPP page.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post
    After more research the redeemable code (first option) can apparently be used with apple configurator and as long as it's removed using the same mac and configurator the redeemable code becomes active again to install on another iPad from that mac.
    You;re quite right, how I had forgotten about this is beyond me. If the iPad is put into Supervised mode using Apple Configurator, you can reclaim the code. (We don't use Configurator so apparently I had blotted this from my mind!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post
    "With the usage of some MDM options it is required that each user have an Apple Id. I know that many third party companies work in this way. With Apples Apple Configurator you are able to assign all apps out to the same Apple ID.
    It is required that you purchase as many copies of an app as you have devices in use with that app. This will ensure that you meet our requirements if audited. That being said, if you have 24 copies of an app in use by students you must own that many copies."
    We are using an Apple ID per 10 devices at present - I really couldn't face creating 100+ Apple IDs which is what it will entail using MDM.
    I read this as meaning you must purchase a licence for each device you have deployed it to - whether it actually gets redeemed is another matter depending on deployment method.

Did you submit your query to the Apple VPP support? I think I may contact them to clarify.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread