+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, VPP - in app purchases GarageBand in Technical; Hi Guys Some apps such as Garageband, are paid for through VPP but then require a further in app purchase ...

Thank Post

VPP - in app purchases GarageBand

Hi Guys

Some apps such as Garageband, are paid for through VPP but then require a further in app purchase to unlock the full functionality, is this possible using VPP? or is there another way round it?

Thanks and hope any one reading this has a great Christmas

Thank Post
    we have the same issue at one of our schools. they have 32 ipads and we are still no wiser in how to do in app purchases. did you manage to resolve this issue?

thanks

Andy

Thank Post
    The last I heard (from Apple support) was that it's not possible to do in-app purchases through VPP. Their advice was to contact the app developer to ask them to make a full version of the app that can be bought outright, rather than having to buy from within the app which doesn't work for schools, as we know.

Thank Post
    Not yet i'm afraid :/ as mentioned above it doesn't seem possible which is ridiculous

Thank Post
    hi
    I am in the same position, the head of music wants the full version of garage band and is willing to pay but it just doesn't seem to be possible. How mad is that?

Thank Post
    It is crazy that even Apple-made apps are not compatible with their own volume license system.

Thank Post
    Maybe Apple need a new "CEO"
    Apple did confirm to that in app isn't possible and will probably not happen

Thank Post
    Hi

Garageband deployed by the managed distribution has been the 'full' version for us. Don't know if is different via codes or individual download.

I spoke to app regarding this issue and her response believe it or not was to have a separate apple id per ipad and buy the in app purchase on each ipad.

Dear Tom,

That's correct. In-app purchases have to be done individually, per device, with an end-user iTunes account. There is currently not a way to buy in-app purchases in volume.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Sarah
     Volume Purchase Program & iTunes U Support Team

Thank Post
    We purchased Garage Band before Apple made some features IAPs, and I was quite sad that when I upgraded the app, I lost the features. However, I was able to use the Apple ID that redeemed the original codes to enable the feature, then make a backup to image to the other devices via Configurator.. I have a feeling that you could purchase the IAP now and image it in the same way, but don't quote me on that!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Was just about to start to use VPP for this very purpose, and I'm glad I found this thread before I did!

So what's the consensus?

1, You have to setup each iPad with it's own Apple ID and make the in App purchase with that ID? The only way I can see that as being viable is to buy a £5 iTunes giftcard for each iPad, and then you'll be left with £2.01 on each account, which is less than ideal.
    2, Buy the App on one iPad and copy that configuration across the other iPads? Sounds easy, and also illegal!

It beggars belief that Apple have done this to one of their flagship apps that an awful lot of schools are going to want to use!

Thank Post
    From what I gather, non consumable IAPs are transferrable between devices and are bound only to Apple IDs, meaning there are no limitations on the number of devices the IAP is used on. That means that technically you wouldn't need to copy the configuration between devices (like option 2), just use the Apple ID credentials to "restore previous IAPs" or whatever it's called in the app. The copying isn't skirting rules as far as I'm aware, it just saves entering credentials on every iPad you own.

There's more info here: iTunes Store: About In-App Purchases and the way I read it, Garageband is a non-consumable IAP (unlocking features) so can be redownloaded and transferred between devices.

Also, be warned that after buying / restoring the IAP, you'll want to make sure it's logged out of the Apple Store in Settings to get a nice clean slate. Of course, you'll want to do your own research as I'm no licensing expert, but I'm quite happy with my interpretation.

12. Thanks to Driftingashore from:

simpsonj (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks @Driftingashore "bought" garageband when the full version was made free over the Christmas holidays. I just entered the school apple ID on the off chance it would allow me to make a one off payment, and it fully enabled garageband. Not going to worry about it for the time being, unless the Music teacher expands her iPad requirements.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread