+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, First roll out of iPads in small school in Technical; Hi Folks, Please forgive if this question has been asked to death, however I'm looking for some advice for our ...
    Thank Post

First roll out of iPads in small school

Hi Folks,

Please forgive if this question has been asked to death, however I'm looking for some advice for our small independent school.

We currently have 8 iPad's used by staff whilst tutoring ASD kids, one was recently stolen which has prompted the review of security around them. We do not allow staff to have mobile phones, yet obviously the iPad's have cameras on which is a cause for concern for me as our policy of non camera use in school has no management once the iPads are handed out. Whats the best / most cost effective way to manage 8 iPad's (potentially another 21 on the way in March)? We only have Windows PC's in the school, should we invest in a Mac and use the iOS for IT or is there a better way?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    For the number you have, I would recommend Meraki.

Meraki is a free online cloud based solution that allows you to manage them from your chair. You can push apps, settings and other content via the Dashboard interface. It used to be a single company but now owned by Cisco. https://meraki.cisco.com/products/systems-manager

In terms of the cameras, iOS Restriction Policies have a setting to disable the camera completely. Meraki also has this setting.

3. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

sparky2488 (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    I have been testing Meraki in readiness for our own iPad deployment, however I have not had to use yet as I found the latest Apple Configurator did all (so far) that I wanted.

However I dare say that once I complete all my testing I may need to use Meraki to fully lockdown / configure the devices and it does look very good.

5. Thanks to rickypike from:

Thank Post
    Thanks both, I have just downloaded Meraki onto my PC and am having a play with it now... certainly looks to be what we need, will grab a unit tonight when the kids have finished with them and have a proper play.

Thank Post
    It's worth checking out ClassThink, it has loads of advice about managing iPads with Apple Configurator and Meraki: You searched for meraki - ClassThink.com

8. Thanks to unmode from:

Thank Post
    An MDM solution is definitely what you should go for, but in terms of short term risk mitigation:

If you set a password on iOS devices they will be encrypted. Therefore if a device goes missing, confidential data such as photos would have a basic level of protection - albeit only as secure as the password. It's also worth enabling the "Find My iPhone" app, which will allow remote wipe of the data, should the device become lost or stolen. All MDM solutions can enforce both of these options, but you can go ahead with them immediately.

Thank Post
    iPads...... KILL IT KILL IT NOW BEFORE IT TAKES OVER YOUR WHOLE WORKING LIFE!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    THIS!

Ha, I've had a go with Meraki and the Apple configurator and both will do what you want. Meraki probably gets my vote for being online though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    SLT: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't kill the precious!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another +1 for Meraki. Free, easy and imo actually better all round than Configurator. Swapped over at one of mine recently, at least the ICT coordinator did. Did a great job of it too despite a lack of technical knowledge so it goes to show it's easily done. Plus of course the built in tracker thingy is useful for devices that do go walkies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Plus of course the built in tracker thingy is useful for devices that do go walkies.
    My tracker thing doesn't work very well. Says one's in Hampshire and the rest are in Essex, they're all sitting in my office (not in Hampshire or Essex) *facepalm*

Thank Post
    The Meraki tracker only gets correct information if you have the app installed, and the app has syncronized recently, giving you it's GPS location. Otherwise it gives you a location based on your Public IP address, which is almost always going to be wrong.

GPS is pretty good, we've had it down to a few meters, but the smallest on the Public IP was about 150 Miles away.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayki5 View Post
    The Meraki tracker only gets correct information if you have the app installed, and the app has syncronized recently, giving you it's GPS location. Otherwise it gives you a location based on your Public IP address, which is almost always going to be wrong.

GPS is pretty good, we've had it down to a few meters, but the smallest on the Public IP was about 150 Miles away.
    Our iPads took a lovely trip to London one day, or so they did according to Meraki...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread