+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Pros & Cons list for tablets or hybrids in a primary school environment. (v2) in Technical; I am trying to create a pros / cons list for tablets and hybrids being used in primary schools, taking ...

Thank Post

Smile Pros & Cons list for tablets or hybrids in a primary school environment. (v2)

I am trying to create a pros / cons list for tablets and hybrids being used in primary schools, taking into account the fact they have limited funding and already have a Microsoft server and Microsoft curriculum software on site.

I have decided to keep this thread just on tablets or windows hybrid laptops as this is the information I am being asked about in the primary schools I work in. If a section is not listed on my pros / cons list it is probably because that information is not relevant to me or my schools.

You can find my pros / cons list at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.ch0fp3dd1wad

Please use this thread to help me update and edit the list with any relevant information or ideas as I do not have access to some of the items listed.

NB. This thread follows on from another thread found at Help me create the ultimate Pros / Cons list for I-Pad, Android, Win8.1 and Learnpad

2. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

laserblazer (3rd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Nice work mate.

Thank Post
    The head here had an Acer W510 tablet a few months ago because he saw another head with one and liked it. Based on this limited experience I would say that a negative for Windows tablets is the size that Windows takes up on the drive. His tablet came with a 32GB SSD and after owning it for 2 weeks and putting about 2-3 GB of data on there the device started complaining it was full and running really slowly. This means you need a much larger SSD for a Windows device than Apple or Android which will increase the price further.

Another downside is that although Windows 8 devices will run most exiting Windows software, most of these older programs have been designed and written for faster machines where dirve space has not been an issue. Therefore I would expect that some software would run frustratingly slowly on a Windows tablet as opposed to Apps which have been deisigned especially for use on mobile devices, making the limited offering of the Windows App store more of an issue.

Thank Post
    The head here had an Acer W510 tablet a few months ago because he saw another head with one and liked it. Based on this limited experience I would say that a negative for Windows tablets is the size that Windows takes up on the drive. His tablet came with a 32GB SSD and after owning it for 2 weeks and putting about 2-3 GB of data on there the device started complaining it was full and running really slowly. This means you need a much larger SSD for a Windows device than Apple or Android which will increase the price further.

Another downside is that although Windows 8 devices will run most exiting Windows software, most of these older programs have been designed and written for faster machines where dirve space has not been an issue. Therefore I would expect that some software would run frustratingly slowly on a Windows tablet as opposed to Apps which have been deisigned especially for use on mobile devices, making the limited offering of the Windows App store more of an issue.
    Thanks for the info. I have updated the windows section to reflect the storage size issue but the slow running software issue is not something I have added. Not only can you buy a hybrid with an i7 intel chip but you can get them with ssd sata combos etc. Even the Asus book T100 which only comes with the Atom processor can still run Dirt 3 ASUS Transformer Book T100 (Baytrail) - Dirt 3 - Game Benchmark - YouTube

I have just ordered myself a Windows Hybrid with an i3 chip + 128gb ssd. It is not a beast of a machine but I will only be using word and a few internet sites.

Thank Post
    Thanks, you've just saved me a shed-load of work.

A possible Con for the Learnpad is what happens if they go bust.

Thank Post
    Very interesting thread. We will be moving to a one-to-one device scenario with a planned implementation date for Year 7 (we're secondary) of September 2014 so timescales are tight!

This type of information is exactly what we need and will be evaluating.

Thank Post
    A possible Con for the Learnpad is what happens if they go bust.
    Not going to put that in the list as any company could go down the pan. I suppose worst case would be to uninstall the LearnPad software and use them as an Android Device.

Thank Post
    We will be moving to a one-to-one device scenario
    That is the biggest issue with a primary school. They do not normally have the funding to get enough units for 1-2-1 so they become a shared device, which add to the choice complexity.

Thank Post
    Next year the primary school curriculum will need to include coding. For KS1 & KS2 this is partially based around 'if' 'or' and 'variables' etc. Android has lots of apps such as the famous Tasker App http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...ndroid.taskerm that can be used to create event sequences with commands. The best thing about using an app like this is it's also used by lots of people in the real world, myself included.

Can anyone think of any iPad apps or windows apps that would also cover the same curriculum area?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Not going to put that in the list as any company could go down the pan. I suppose worst case would be to uninstall the LearnPad software and use them as an Android Device.
    Agreed, but it has been levelled at me by competitors and governors. The former, I have crossed off my xmas card list, the latter I have pointed towards some of the youtube videos that show that Learnpad isn't a "Fred-in-a-shed" operation.

Thank Post
    Just realized that the length of time a product can be looked after from a warranty angle would be very important in a Primary school.

I can get 5 year next day fix onsite for a hybrid Windows laptop from Stone for only a few quid. The most they will give for ipad and most Android units would be 3 years on a return to company basis. They will do onsite next day fix for Samsung Galaxy and Toshiba tablets but that will cost a lot.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread