+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Help me create the ultimate Pros / Cons list for I-Pad, Android, Win8.1 and Learnpad in Technical; I would like to create a pros / cons list that will help me decide a product type for each ...

Thank Post

Help me create the ultimate Pros / Cons list for I-Pad, Android, Win8.1 and Learnpad

I would like to create a pros / cons list that will help me decide a product type for each of my primary schools, taking in to account the fact they have limited funding and already have a MS servers and system in place. This is not a bashing post so please keep information on topic and to the point as I do not want this post to get locked.

Anyway, I have made a start and pulled some info from other posts. I will edit and add to this top post any relevant info I find in the following posts.

I also understand that this is a subjective subject (As you will see I am not an Apple fan but willing to be enlightened), what I might love someone else will hate but between the mighty herd of edugeekers I am sure we could come up with a handy list that is not too biased.

iPads

Pros
    Lots of Apps (1 Million apps)
    ??????

Cons
    -Expensive (400 - 500) although the iPad Mini starts from 250.
    -Not very upgradable from a hardware angle.
    -Non user replaceable battery
    -Almost impossible to fully lock down and secure. I know of some schools via a forum on edugeek that they are having to fully re-install the I-Pad at the end of every day due to children messing with the settings.
    -Probably requires other systems to work properly in a school environment such as an Apple server or Mac Book.
    -Designed for single user usage (Pupils can’t log in as themselves)
    -Only has single Profile
    -Not Easily integrated with current systems or software
    -More people are buying and using Android for example, 65% of all tablets expected to ship in 2014 will be Android, 30% will be I-Pads and for the phone OS (which is important) By the end of this current year, 798 million of them will run Android, 294 million will run Apple’s iOS (Canalys: Half Of All PCs Shipped in 2014 Will Be Tablets; Android 65%, Apple 30% | TechCrunch)

MS Windows 8.1 Pro (I was thinking of something like the ASUS Transformer Book T100, which is cheap 350 and both a laptop and a tablet) ASUS Transformer Book T100 Convertible Notebook Tablet, Specs & More. If the ASUS is not powerful enough something like the Surface Pro would be a good choice but you will need to factor in the extra cost.

Pros
    -Best of both Worlds, can be used as a tablet or can be used as a laptop
    -Compatibility – Will work with all current software purchased in the school including Sims and Smartboard software.
    -Depending on the make memory can be upgraded.
    -Very secure
    -Works with existing network including printers
    -(Not a shared user profile) Each user logs in and get their own profile, software, network drives, and security.
    -Windows is used in the workplace
    -Although the Windows App store is new and small you still have access to all the normal windows software which I would imagine is too many to count and way more than I-pad or Android have.
    -Works with current Office software
    -Very easy to manage MS devises on the network.
    -No additional hardware or software will be required to run this type of system in the school.
    -No additional time will be required to add users as they are already setup

Cons

Windows 8.1 standard

Pros
    ???????

Cons
    ???????

Windows RT

Pros
    Has ability to have multiple users, but does not give you the ability to log in "as yourself" on them

Cons
    Has ability to have multiple users, but does not give you the ability to log in "as yourself" on them

Android

Pros
    -Lots of apps (1 Million apps)
    -Depending on the make memory can be upgraded
    -OS software is very customizable (You can choose to have icons or widgets on the desktops etc or completely change the look and feel of the device, You can even make an android device look like an I-Pad)
    -Integrates with Google Apps for Education
    -Has ability to have multiple users, but don't give you the ability to log in "as yourself" on them

Cons
    -Almost impossible to fully lock down and secure.
    -Has ability to have multiple users, but don't give you the ability to log in "as yourself" on them
    -Not Easily integrated with current systems or software

LearnPad - LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education

Pros
    -Has its own Educational App store in addition to the Android app store - Store - LearnPad
    -Different user profiles. Users can log in and get a different desktop profile and apps. For example you can login as a senco and get a nice senco orientated device. SEN Profile - Store - LearnPad
    -Can connect to a users home drive
    -Very secure can be locked down to prevent access to settings.
    -Can be set up to change profile and apps simply by scanning a bar code (Pupils love this)
    -Entire sets of tablets can be controlled by the teacher from a very easy web system. You can also display a single tablet display on the smartboard to help a pupil or show the class something someone is doing.

Cons
    ????
    Last edited by edutech4schools; 28th November 2013 at 02:09 PM.

2. 2 Thanks to edutech4schools:

fiza (28th November 2013), VeryPC_Colin_M (28th November 2013)

Thank Post
    For Windows, are you thinking the RT or Pro route? Or do you need another section so you have a pro/con list for each?

Thank Post
    Very useful exercise as I am looking at the same thing but at Secondary School level.
    Ours want access to windows shares and similar applications so we are leaning towards windows 8.1 devices but not sure which device would be best.

Thank Post
    This is a great idea @edutech4schools

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    For Windows, are you thinking the RT or Pro route? Or do you need another section so you have a pro/con list for each?
    No point for RT as they have practically said they will be dropping it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    No point for RT as they have practically said they will be dropping it.
    No they haven't. They've said they likely won't be having 3 OS's in the future. That doesn't mean one is being dropped, it means they may merge 2 of them or something different.

Thank Post
    Only the full OS not the RT

Thank Post
    Ours want access to windows shares and similar applications so we are leaning towards windows 8.1 devices but not sure which device would be best.
    If it was down to me I would be getting Windows 8.1 as everything is in place for them to work, but I have decided to let the schools decide the course they take.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The comparison is somewhat difficult to make, due to the volume of different tablets. The Surface Pro 2 for example has an i5 processor in it, and as such battery life is lower than, say, an Asus Atom based device. However, the i5 model will run Photoshop with ease but the Atom based one will be sluggish with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No they haven't. They've said they likely won't be having 3 OS's in the future. That doesn't mean one is being dropped, it means they may merge 2 of them or something different.
    Whichever way it goes RT will not exist. Merge with another OS but i bet they wont callthe result RT

Thank Post
    The comparison is somewhat difficult to make, due to the volume of different tablets. The Surface Pro 2 for example has an i5 processor in it, and as such battery life is lower than, say, an Asus Atom based device. However, the i5 model will run Photoshop with ease but the Atom based one will be sluggish with it.
    You are correct but none of my primary schools will be using heavy software like Photoshop but I will update my top post to reflect the choice.

Thank Post
    You are correct but none of my primary schools will be using heavy software like Photoshop but I will update my top post to reflect the choice.
    Rather than creating a new pros / cons list for the Surface Pro, I have added some info to the Windows 8 section. If I get a few more differences I will create a seperate list.

Thank Post
    Just realised the transformer T100 is Windows 8 and not Windows 8 pro.

Am I right in thinking Windows RT is different from Windows 8 which I know is different from Windows 8 pro.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A lot of the cons you list for iOS there are applicable to other tablets as well. For example:

"-Not very upgradable from a hardware angle."
    Nor are any of the others, Microsoft tablets included.

"-Non user replaceable battery"
    The amount of tablets where you can replace the battery can be counted on a blind butchers hand.

"-Apple is quick to abandon technology that hinders the evolution of Apple products."
    At least with Apple tablets, you can be reasonably sure that they'll run the latest version of the OS for at least a couple of years down the line. Not so with all Android tablets. We have a Galaxy Note which is stuck on 4.1 for example.

"-Almost impossible to fully lock down and secure. I know of some schools via a forum on edugeek that they are having to fully re-install the I-Pad at the end of every day due to children messing with the settings."
    From what I've seen, Android tablets aren't that hot in that regard either.

"-Probably requires other systems to work properly in a school environment such as an Apple server or Mac Book."
    Not so. You need an MDM to manage them en-masse, it doesn't have to be another Apple system. And if you have any sense, you'd be managing Androids and Windows RT devices with MDMs too, whether it be Meraki, Intune or whatever.

"-Designed for single user usage (Pupils can’t log in as themselves)"
    Although Android and Windows RT devices have the ability to have multiple users, they still don't give you the ability to log in "as yourself" on them.

"-You need to buy in to the Apple ecosystem."
    You need to buy into the Google ecosystem with an Android device. You need to buy into the Windows eco-system with a Windows RT device.

"-Not Easily integrated with current systems or software"
    Neither are Androids particularly. Can you manually set a proxy on an Android device without hacking it yet?

"-Apple is a locked in ecosystem."
    Whichever system you go for, you're "locked into" their ecosystem. You can't buy an Android app and expect the license to carry over to a Windows device. The only disadvantage here is that Apple are your only source for hardware and software whereas at least with the other big two you have a choice of hardware vendor and with Google you can install apps from third party sources.

I'm all for making lists like this but I can't help but feel you're falling for the anti-Apple FUD that goes around.
    Last edited by Norphy; 28th November 2013 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Just realised the transformer T100 is Windows 8 and not Windows 8 pro.

Am I right in thinking Windows RT is different from Windows 8 which I know is different from Windows 8 pro.
    The T100 is still an Intel device, it doesn't come with Windows RT. RT is ARM only. You'd be able to install 8.1 Pro on there. It'd just cost more for the license. The difference between Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro is like the difference between Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Pro.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast