+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Help me create the ultimate Pros / Cons list for I-Pad, Android, Win8.1 and Learnpad in Technical; Thanks for you post. "-Not very upgradable from a hardware angle." Nor are any of the others, Microsoft tablets included. ...

Thank Post
    Thanks for you post.

"-Not very upgradable from a hardware angle."
    Nor are any of the others, Microsoft tablets included.
    I can choose a hybrid laptop that comes with the option to change the SSD drive or add memory although I agree that lots do not allow this. I will leave the I-Pad info but update the other sections

Thank Post
    "-Non user replaceable battery"
    The amount of tablets where you can replace the battery can be counted on a blind butchers hand.
    Again the buyer can choose to buy one that does allow the battery to be replaced. I chose my last phone based on being able to change the memory and battery.

Thank Post
    "-Apple is quick to abandon technology that hinders the evolution of Apple products."
    At least with Apple tablets, you can be reasonably sure that they'll run the latest version of the OS for at least a couple of years down the line. Not so with all Android tablets. We have a Galaxy Note which is stuck on 4.1 for example.
    The reason I put that was I read the following which swayed my thinking. I this not correct? Should I remove that info from my post?

In the 90s Apple switched from the 68k cpu to the powerPC , making all 68k only software obsolete. That was a time when "FAT Binaries" where introduced, programs capable to install on both, Nevertheless a lot of software had to be purchased new ..

When the transition from OS9 to OSX was on the horizon in 99/2000 most people felt betrayed that not only powerpc was the way to go, but that a G3 cpu was needed and no G3 cpu upgrade cards ( very popular back then ) were supported.

Apple shipped a OS9 emulator inside OSX, but with Leopard suddenly it was gone :
    Again all software from classic OS needed to be exchanged to pure OSX ones

When OSX Leopard came out, many people felt also betrayed that it would only run on selected G4 cpus, leaving the G3s behind.

Then Snow only for Intels.

Then Lion only for 64bit dualcore Intels, leaving early Intels in the dust.

So, Can you see a pattern here ?

Apple for a business to plan years ahead .. Not really if you consider this history.

One day they might decide to switch from Intel to AMD or to ARm or whatever. All over again. It would be no shock for me, knowing Apples "strategy" since 95 :-)

Thank Post
    "-Almost impossible to fully lock down and secure. I know of some schools via a forum on edugeek that they are having to fully re-install the I-Pad at the end of every day due to children messing with the settings."
    From what I've seen, Android tablets aren't that hot in that regard either
    Good point. Does anyone know if I was to install a different launcher from the play store would that class as locking it down. Until I get an answer I will update the Android section.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, Pros under Windows devices:

"-Best of both Worlds, can be used as a tablet or can be used as a laptop"

That can be as much of a disadvantage as well as an advantage. Going by my experience with the Surface RT, it is incredibly jarring to have to go into Desktop mode when you're trying to do something with the Modern interface which isn't supported and the desktop isn't finger friendly when you do. The opposite is also true, how many people hate Metro on their desktops for example? And if you're buying a tablet on the basis that it comes with a keyboard and mouse, well why not buy a laptop to begin with?

"-Very long product support cycle (XP was supported under its extended scheme for 10 Years)"

That was a freak occurrence, it happened because Vista was so late. Microsoft aren't above dropping support for products which don't sell. See Zune, PlaysForSure, Kin. They also aren't above dropping product lines for no obvious reason such as the ForeFront line.

"Again the buyer can choose to buy one that does allow the battery to be replaced. I chose my last phone based on being able to change the memory and battery."

We're not talking about phones though, are we? How many tablets have user replaceable batteries? The Asus T100 which you advocated has its battery built into it. I've not seen any Android tabs which have user replaceable batteries. The Microsoft surfaces don't. The Lenovo Yogas don't. It doesn't look like any of the Dell Latitude tablets do.

"The reason I put that was I read the following which swayed my thinking. I this not correct? Should I remove that info from my post?"

It's correct but I'm not exactly sure that it's relevant. None of those things happened overnight and there was a transition period between them all. For example, the last OS9 release was in December 2001. Leopard was released in 2007. Do you really need six years to transition from OS 9 software? The last G3 computer was released in 2003. Running a new OS on four year old hardware is rarely a good idea. Last PowerMac was released in 2006, Snow Leopard in 2009. And so on. Yes, it's a pain in the bum but things become obsolete eventually. It's also worth pointing out that the latest iOS devices come with a new CPU with a new instruction set and for now at least, Apple are supporting both. I'm sure that they will obsolete the old line eventually but not until the current line has been unavailable for a couple of years.

One of the Pros under Android could be considered a con:

"-OS software is very customizable (You can choose to have icons or widgets on the desktops etc or completely change the look and feel of the device, You can even make an android device look like an I-Pad)"

This also means that unless you get a Nexus device, an Android device from one vendor may end up being operationally very different to one from another. HTC Sense is very different to TouchWiz on Samsung devices for instance. Amazon have forked Android and have come up with something completely different. At least with iOS and Windows devices, the UX is consistent across all devices. And that is extremely important when you're trying to support hundreds of the things.
    Last edited by Norphy; 28th November 2013 at 01:03 PM.

Thank Post

That can be as much of a disadvantage as well as an advantage. Going by my experience with the Surface RT, it is incredibly jarring to have to go into Desktop mode when you're trying to do something with the Modern interface which isn't supported and the desktop isn't finger friendly when you do. The opposite is also true, how many people hate Metro on their desktops for example? And if you're buying a tablet on the basis that it comes with a keyboard and mouse, well why not buy a laptop to begin with?
    I am going to create separate lists RT, Standard and pro

"-Very long product support cycle (XP was supported under its extended scheme for 10 Years)"

That was a freak occurrence, it happened because Vista was so late. Microsoft aren't above dropping support for products which don't sell. See Zune, PlaysForSure, Kin. They also aren't above dropping product lines for no obvious reason such as the ForeFront line.
    I will remove that info but not 100% sure I agree from an OS point of view.

We're not talking about phones though, are we? How many tablets have user replaceable batteries? The Asus T100 which you advocated has its battery built into it. I've not seen any Android tabs which have user replaceable batteries. The Microsoft surfaces don't. The Lenovo Yogas don't. It doesn't look like any of the Dell Latitude tablets do.
    Battery bit removed but will leave memory upgradable.

"The reason I put that was I read the following which swayed my thinking. I this not correct? Should I remove that info from my post?"

It's correct but I'm not exactly sure that it's relevant. None of those things happened overnight and there was a transition period between them all. For example, the last OS9 release was in December 2001. Leopard was released in 2007. Do you really need six years to transition from OS 9 software? The last G3 computer was released in 2003. Running a new OS on four year old hardware is rarely a good idea. Last PowerMac was released in 2006, Snow Leopard in 2009. And so on. Yes, it's a pain in the bum but things become obsolete eventually. It's also worth pointing out that the latest iOS devices come with a new CPU with a new instruction set and for now at least, Apple are supporting both. I'm sure that they will obsolete the old line eventually but not until the current line has been unavailable for a couple of years.
    Thank you. I have removed the info.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Whichever way it goes RT will not exist
    By the time Microsoft stop supporting the Surface RT/Surface 2, it will be time to replace the tablet anyway.

Microsoft will support its Surface RT tablet with updates, including security patches, until April 2017, or nearly four-and-a-half years after its launch.

The support lifecycle for the Surface with Windows RT tablet is less than half the usual 10 years Microsoft allots its software products -- including Windows 8 -- but is considerably longer than what Apple has given the first-generation iPad, which has already dropped off the Cupertino, Calif. company's list. (Source)
    Normally, Microsoft supports consumer and business versions of Windows for five years (the so-called mainstream support phase) with business versions getting an additional five years of extended support.

Because Surface with Windows RT is a hardware-software combo, it plays by a different set of rules. Microsoft has decreed that its Mainstream Support End Date will be April 11, 2017, which is nearly 4-1/2 years after the product's initial release date. Because this device is considered a consumer device, there's no Extended Support End Date. (Source)

Thank Post

Should have properly looked at your reply.
    I am coming at this from a primary school point of view and think most of the basic stuff they will need can be accessed just from the Modern interface.

Thank Post
    "-Designed for single user usage (Pupils can’t log in as themselves)"
    Although Android and Windows RT devices have the ability to have multiple users, they still don't give you the ability to log in "as yourself" on them.
    But the other devices in the list do so I will update the android and rt section

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Windows 8 standard
    There isn't much point in having a section for Windows 8.0 considering its support period. Staying on 8.0, also means you won't be able to install IE11 (and future versions of IE).

"Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under Windows 8 lifecycle. (Source)
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I-Pads
    A minor nitpick, but would it be possible to change I-Pads to iPads.
    Last edited by Arthur; 28th November 2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Thanks Norphy. :-)

Thank Post
    "-You need to buy in to the Apple ecosystem."
    You need to buy into the Google ecosystem with an Android device. You need to buy into the Windows eco-system with a Windows RT device.
    removed from post. thanks

Thank Post
    "-Not Easily integrated with current systems or software"
    Neither are Androids particularly. Can you manually set a proxy on an Android device without hacking it yet?

Not an issue with the LearnPads or Windows systems. I will update the Android section.

Can you manually set a proxy on an Android device without hacking it yet
    yes, have been able to for ages.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I think you need to decide the criteria first and then decide whether the device fits it, like this:
    Comparison of mobile operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    I'm all for making lists like this but I can't help but feel you're falling for the anti-Apple FUD that goes around.
    No, I am not lucky enough to have the cash to buy all the different types of tech and simply asking for your help. I took info from other forum posters to get started.

Thank Post
    [QUOTEThere isn't much point in having a section for Windows 8.0 considering its support period. Staying on 8.0, also means you won't be able to install IE11 (and future versions of IE).][/QUOTE]

Been a bit rushed. updating post.

A minor nitpick, but would it be possible to change I-Pads to iPad's.
    Feel free to nitpick. Updated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast