+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Tablets in schools...which one and why? in Technical; Originally Posted by Little-Miss Primary/secondary? What are you guys using in your school? How are they used? Are they managed? ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Primary/secondary?
    What are you guys using in your school?
    How are they used?
    Are they managed?
    Why did you choose that particular device?
    Price? can be managed? SLT made me? other
    1. Secondary.
    2. Various. iPads, Android and a few RT's. All are either niche or were bought as trial devices.
    3. Badly.
    4. No.
    5. Mostly shiny baubles but some are driven by requirements, either mobility and ease of use or in the case of the site team, a particular application.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Primary/secondary?
    How are they used?
    Are they managed?
    1. Special
    2. iPad 2's and iPad Minis
    3. Mainly used as a reward for completing work and some used as communication aids. Bit of a push to use them more educationally now though, slowly but surely. No internet access on them at the moment which doesn't help.
    4. Had set them up through school itunes initially. Now using apple configurator on a mac mini .
    5. Principal likes apple stuff and at the time of purchase they seemed the best option due to range of apps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    1. secondary with 6thForm
    2. ipad mini, various androids, chromebooks (x2!)
    3. 99% of our apps are web based so in theory they can be used for anything the PC's do, in practice it is mostly registrations + email for staff and internet for students.
    4. apple configurator, google apps and (soon) lightspeed
    5. price and the apps they run.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Thanks for this, @Little-Miss Oddly enough I had a very similar conversation with the HT in my junior school this morning - we were discussing the ageing netbooks and what we should replace them with.
    Nothing seems to be leading the pack though, does it?
    I want to hear about a non-apple tablet that is easy to manage, can be integrated into a windows network but still runs like the clappers, and isnt too expensive..is that too much to ask

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    and isnt too expensive
    Define "expensive"... our Win8 Pro tablets are about 500 each. [Inc. VAT]

Thank Post
    Primary/secondary?

secondary

iPads and Androids

How are they used?

We have classes of iPads and Androids (Zoostorm Playtab)

Are they managed?

For the small class sets we have (15) we use Meraki to control the iPads, we found Apple Configurator a bit of a bind because you can only download stuff from the server that you assigned your iPad with, so we ended up using just iTunes instead. Android we use Meraki and a local app called Surelock to lock down settings and have a uniform home screen.

I have now bought a class set of Sumvision Voyager 2 tablets for a month trail where the year 7s take them as if it's 1:1, what we learnt from the others were Tablets are really designed for personal use and off multiple users it was a pain. These trial tablets will be able to login to our Windows 2012 R2 Remote Desktop with a touch optimised Metro interface, office 2013 and be able to print and save to home drives, an Office 365 account for email (still waiting for SkyDrive Pro to come out!) with local apps such as Photoshop Touch, a Groupboard and Lino.

Incidentally all these apps could be done on the iPad also, because we want to be platform agnostic.

iPad the SLT liked it, Android for cost and a bit more flexible (ie USB drives and keyboards)

Also Wireless and infrastructure is important, for example, teachers let kids bring their phones into class and we end up having 50 devices hanging off one UniFi!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Nothing seems to be leading the pack though, does it? I want to hear about a non-apple tablet that is easy to manage, can be integrated into a windows network but still runs like the clappers, and isnt too expensive.
    As NotSoFast pointed out, the Asus Transformer Book T100 got a very good review by PC Pro yesterday:

What's on this week's PC Pro podcast? | News | PC Pro

The link has both audio and video reviews. For under 400 you get a tablet and detachable keyboard, both with separate batteries - have a few spare keyboards ready and charging and you can swap round any tablets that need more battery power. Full Windows 8.1, latest Atom chip with out-of-order execution - they even had it running Crysis (3D first-person action game) at a reasonable frame rate.

8. Thanks to dhicks from:

witch (14th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Primary

We have around 100 Learnpads, Staff have a Nexus 7 each. The teachers took a while to get over the fact we didn't buy lots of iShiney devices. But the management side of the learnpads and the way they can be controlled and locked down for teaching has sold them to the staff. Class set (30) was about 5500 with a charging trolley

10. Thanks to pooley from:

delta7 (23rd November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    That's interesting. One of my suppliers has been pushing Learnpads at me - you rate them then, @pooley ?

Thank Post
    Primary/secondary?
    How are they used?
    Are they managed?

1. Secondary

2. iPad 4's
    3. Used a lot in DT for just browsing web, not sure about other departments
    4. Of course, using own tools and protocols
    5. 400ish? They can be managed, with a fist.

Thank Post
    @witch Yep. We bought our's direct from learnpad.co we have the octavo's (8") and they have been fine. You can put the learnpad software on any android device, I know Toshiba are pushing tablets bundled with learnpad. Learnpad are their own make.

14. Thanks to pooley from:

witch (15th November 2013)

Thank Post
    1, Secondary
    2, Trialing Ipads around 7 – one with blue tooth keyboard, 2 RT surfaces, 1 Windows Tablet Dell
    3, Mostly, internet, videoing, group work in class PP, and accessing Gateway for remote access to PC all software and systems quite a lot etc
    4, Meraki for Ipads but don’t connect to the network just use our remote Gateway?
    5, Trialing all three at the moment both the Surface RT and Ipad with keyboard looking good but we do use the Gateway to connect to a PC on the these a lot for extra functionality with portability.
    We brought one Ipad as a trial, 2 x surfaces for SLT but our recommendations and they seem pretty happy with these, but had 6 more purchased separate funding.
    Overall the Surface and the Ipad with the keyboard seem good but we aren’t managing these heavily only Internet connectivity Firewall\Filtering and Meraki for Ipad and if they want to connect to network connect to PC or Virtual PC through the Gateway just internally.

16. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

Zourous (15th November 2013)

Thank Post
    We are going with Learnpad Octavos (8") because the management software is so good.

I like the fact that we can use a webpage to build a profile that controls what the pupils can do with the tablet (ie not play with camera etc) and puts just the icons they need on the screen. All they have to do is scan a QR code and the tablet changes it's configuration. The codes also mean that confident teachers can create codes to setup the devices for less confident colleagues' classes

The tablets are pretty good too with more ports than my Nexus 7 (ie more than 1) including hdmi and the resolution although not up to Nexus standards is fine for school use. They are also supplied with a charging station and protective covers. They are also able to support Flash which is pretty important for the many online activity sites we use.

Thank Post
    Hi took a look at learnpad on a Toshiba tablet about 6 months ago and I wasn't too impressed. I liked the concept and the model works best for class sets rather than 1 to 1 but I just didn't find it reliable enough. When scanning the codes, the new profile didn't always apply properly especially when having to download apps from Learnpad.

I found it really difficult to get network drives to work. But the killer for me was just the limitation of Apps that was available in the Learnpad 'store'. Learnpad so say that you can ask the author's permission of an app found in the play store if you can use it on learnpad. So I asked two different authors for permission and didn't get a response so I was unable to use them through learnpad.

So if you are looking into this, check that you are happy with the availability of Apps through learnpad.

Thank Post
    But the killer for me was just the limitation of Apps that was available in the Learnpad 'store'. Learnpad so say that you can ask the author's permission of an app found in the play store if you can use it on learnpad. So I asked two different authors for permission and didn't get a response so I was unable to use them through learnpad.
    You do not need permission to use an app on learnPad you just need to get a site licence. It is just an android tablet with a different skin and also has access to Google Play Apps. Most schools I now love them.
    Last edited by edutech4schools; 19th November 2013 at 12:27 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast