+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, You don't get fired for buying IBM in Technical; This is used to be a common refrain when the myriad of cheap and cheerful compatible machines started to hit ...

Thank Post

You don't get fired for buying IBM

This is used to be a common refrain when the myriad of cheap and cheerful compatible machines started to hit the market. I have been tasked to come up with a tablet recommendation by the beginning of next week. I've no idea what the budget is or how they will be used. I've just bought myself a Hudl fro Tesco and I'm really impressed with it. With the Tesco rubbish taken off, I'm sure it could be a contender but I'm hearing stories about teething problems. So, I'm think I'll adopt the same strategy and say "You don't get fired for buying iPads".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    This is used to be a common refrain when the myriad of cheap and cheerful compatible machines started to hit the market. I have been tasked to come up with a tablet recommendation by the beginning of next week. I've no idea what the budget is or how they will be used. I've just bought myself a Hudl fro Tesco and I'm really impressed with it. With the Tesco rubbish taken off, I'm sure it could be a contender but I'm hearing stories about teething problems. So, I'm think I'll adopt the same strategy and say "You don't get fired for buying iPads".
    Until they only want to use them for using flash based websites - but then thats the same for most tablets these days (bar M$ ones)

3. Thanks to glennda from:

laserblazer (7th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As much as I'd love to be an Apple fanboy (iPhone due an upgrade in 6 months ) - I don't think it's right to single out iPads per se, which honestly have just as meny teething problems.

I think the "no one gets sacked for buying IBM" refers more to the back up and support rather than the build quility of the devices. You can just as easily say "no one gets sacked for buying Dell/HP/etc".

Point being you'd get better help/support/warranty buying an Android tablet from Dell than buying a Hudl from Tesco.

5. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    Lots of pro and conns for Andriod /Window8 / IPad

Most schools go for IPads (for apps /everyone else is) and then live with the management and storage "alterations" you'll have to make. You can kind of apply that IBM thing as a lot of Education Advisers are pushing Ipads.

This could be worth a look as well.
    LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education

7. Thanks to CamelMan from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    Lots of pro and conns for Andriod /Window8 / IPad

Most schools go for IPads (for apps /everyone else is) and then live with the management and storage "alterations" you'll have to make. You can kind of apply that IBM thing as a lot of Education Advisers are pushing Ipads.

This could be worth a look as well.
    LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education
    That looks interesting, have you first hand experience of them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try these, we've been incredibly impressed thus far.

EXCITE AT10-A-104

• Android™ 4.2, Jelly Bean
    • NVIDIAŽ TegraŽ 3 mobile processor
    • Super 4-PLUS-1™ quad-core with 5th battery-saver core
    • High-performance 12-core NVIDIAŽ GPU
    • Toshiba AutoBrite™ WXGA high brightness touch display with Wide View Angle, 16:10 aspect ratio and LED side lighting
    • 16 GB
    • silver finish with textured dot pattern
    • 1 GB (onboard)
    • DDR3L RAM (1333 MHz)
    • weight : starting at 0.630 kg
    • W x D x H : 261 x 179 x 10.5 mm

For full spec sheet, further questions and orders please feel free to PM us

Joe

Thank Post
    iOS still seems to be ahead of Android in volume licencing, deployment, and apps suitable for secondary school age students.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The ipukes do disturbingly have in in management simply from being around longer and our junior area uses them successfully in the place of crayons and pastels but the W8 tabs really come into their own if you want to do a crossover between cutesy little apps and doing something useful, flash is massive if looking at free resources you have already found and built lessons around, you can also take the stuff you have done from tabletland and leverage it in a full bit of software if you want seamlessly on the same device. Management is a female dog at the moment but for raw possibilities the W8 tabs rule.

Android also has stacks of possibilities but I can't help feeling that unfinished beta, we don't care attitude towards security and management that Google proposes as best practice, drop it into the bootloader and its owned on startup. Ironically a 30 sec search on Google away.

Thank Post
    Have a look at Learnpad

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs View Post
    Have a look at Learnpad
    Someone else suggested it, have you used them?

Thank Post
    +1 for Learnpad, we resell them here and they're up to the job, stable price and supply, good amount of options, decent bespoke Learnpad software and UK in the field support. However... Windows all the way!

Thank Post
    When it comes to flash-based websites the first question we ask is "What are you trying to accomplish?" and in every single case so far we find that they're stuck in TTWWADI (That's The Way We've Always Done It). If the staff are used to and comfortable with a windows-based environment they are going to get testy as they are shoved outside their comfort zone with an iPad.

BUT, by the same token, I've shut down 3 application servers that have gone obsolete because they've been replaced by apps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    That looks interesting, have you first hand experience of them.
    Sorry only just seen this - no, I havent had personal experience - it was just something I came across when looking into the tablet suitability for schools.

My personal feeling is that there is no current "perfect" solution, however Win8 is the best fit* for an easy to manage and easy to use mobile device for IT Staff and users.

However the Head went iPad. I am only just starting to roll these out and finding out about their quirks and limitations

EDIT: *Assuming you are running a Windows Domain!

Thank Post
    What's the situation with Windows RT 8.1 and domains?

Can we have some tablets? -- what for? -- reel off list of things that can be done better on laptops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    What's the situation with Windows RT 8.1 and domains?
    Rubbish, you still need intune or the latest sccm but its better with the Intel based ones, you can now push start screens (read only not template) and control a bunch of stuff through gp, metro apps are still a nightmare though, they have put less than zero thought into making those useful in a domain environment despite forcing their UI on everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I like Windows 8 and use it daily, its fast stable and clean for me plus the UI does make sense on a tablet, I shelved an android one when I got mine, thought they could coexist but the W8 one was just so much better for my usage that the android has not been charged in several months even as a curiosity, even flash works really well so you get apps and older web resources. When they finally clean up the rough edges with regard to management they will be great. We use some now in some schools which do their jobs well for the users but from a management side they really could do better.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th November 2013 at 04:25 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast