+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Is this a good buy? in Technical; I'm looking for a half decent tablet to take to Portugal. Mainly as a lightweight device for accessing the internet ...

Thank Post

Is this a good buy?

I'm looking for a half decent tablet to take to Portugal. Mainly as a lightweight device for accessing the internet and checking emails but I also wanted hdmi to connect to the TV to watch videos and also watching them on the plane. I've got over half the cost sitting in my Paypal account. I was tempted by the Hudl but wouldn't get it in time.

32GB ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 TABLET 1GB RAM NVIDIA TERGA 3 1.6GHZ ANDROID 4.1 WIFI 4716659345152 | eBay

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its not too bad a price for last gen but tbh the improvements in gen2 would mean I wouldnt buy it.
    I cant see mention of a warranty?

3. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

laserblazer (19th October 2013)

Thank Post
    I've asked for info on the warranty and also clarification if it really has an hdmi port. It does pretty much all I would expect of it. I don't really want 3g/4g.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't want to rely on a first gen Nexus 7, I have one and the best word I can use to describe it is junk, having used many tablets I would suggest anything else. I'm sure someone will be along to defend it shortly but in my experience they are just not good. I do hear the second gen ones are much better though. If you do end up with one make sure you know how to hard reset it for when it hard crashes and won't charge and make sure you keep and use the original charger and cable so that it charges faster than it discharges and does not end up in a hard crash, also never let it go completely flat otherwise you may need the original charger and another hard reset..

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

laserblazer (19th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I never tried wiring my gen1 to a tv, I presume you use a special cable in the usb port?
    Really it would have to be a bit cheaper to hit the sweet spot especially if the 3g part is of little value to you.
    I didnt have quite such a bad experience as @SYNACK but yeah gen1 had some pretty annoying issues such as a massive slow down in performance if you have < 1gb of free space. I had the 16GB and I stopped using it for a month as it was too slow before I found that little snippet out. The battery flat issue happened to me as well (while it was plugged into pc charging... or so I thought) but luckily it came back to life after a few hours using a realy charger.
    Not sure how 1080 would be via gen1 to tv as well, there could be big performance issues but I have not tested it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    I never had any build quality or battery issues with my N7, but the slow-down was incredibly annoying (even with over ~3GB free). Android 4.3 improved the situation somewhat, but Google took so long releasing it - a whole year after the release of the Nexus 7!!! - that I lost interest in using the tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I never tried wiring my gen1 to a tv, I presume you use a special cable in the usb port?
    The 2012 Nexus 7 doesn't have any kind of wired or wireless display output. No MHL, HDMI, SlimPort or MiraCast (although there is unofficial support for the latter)!

The 2013 Nexus 7 on-the-other-hand supports both SlimPort (Micro USB to HDMI) and MiraCast. The SlimPort adapter will cost between £18-£30. For MiraCast wireless display you will need an adapter such as the Netgear PTV3000 and this costs £60.

9. Thanks to Arthur from:

laserblazer (20th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread