+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad Lockdown in Technical; Hi there I work for a school and we currently have iPads that we are managing with Apple Configurator, it ...

Thank Post

iPad Lockdown

Hi there

I work for a school and we currently have iPads that we are managing with Apple Configurator, it works well and everything and is a dream. Just one slight issue, the lovely kids have figured out that they can wipe the iPads from the settings, so they are taking great delight in doing this to get out off work. What I am wondering is if there is anyone to set a password on the settings app so as they can't access it, or anyway to block certain settings from being available, I have looked through Apple Configurator and so far no luck, hope someone has come across this and worked out a solution.

Thanks

Thank Post
    We have the same problem here, I can't find a way to block access to the iPad's settings. At the minute I lock them down so only Safari can be used, it works well but is a huge waste of an iPad.

We recently trialed a Learnpad tablet, works really well and has a lot more options when it comes to locking down. Going to buy a class set now and give them a proper whirl!

Thank Post
    Try under general / security with authentication ?

Thank Post
    From Lightspeed's website:

"Are students able to remove the Lightspeed profile?

The answer to this requires a little bit of explanation. When you enroll in MDM your device will receive two profiles. One is the enrollment profile and it is considered the parent profile. The second is the device profile and it is the child. This child profiles can be protected, however, the parent profiles cannot. This is an Apple restriction. Unfortunately, when a parent profile is removed all associated child profiles are removed regardless of their security settings. So the end result is yes, a student can remove the profile. This is true of all MDM solutions for iOS. Our unique management structure allows us to quickly notify the correct person when this happens. If a student removes the profile, then the classroom teacher can be notified and with a simple URL they can re-enroll the student device immediately."

I have seen similar on other vendors' websites - it does seem to be an Apple restriction. The best you can do is have a notification system that lets you know if the profile is removed. Obviously once the profile is removed, all of the restrictions are lifted. Only other thought is that it might have changed in iOS 7 - I haven't played with that yet.

Thank Post
    You cannot lock down the settings menu, you can not stop them from wiping the devices.

It comes down to a classroom control issue, if you press that button you will be in detention etc

Thank Post
    We recently trialed a Learnpad tablet, works really well and has a lot more options when it comes to locking down. Going to buy a class set now and give them a proper whirl!
    agree

Thank Post
    I think you can pin code it cant you?

Although I am slightly worried as I asked our Apple Seller specifically about hiding away the Settings to prevent changes - and he said that they could do that.

They are being installed Monday so will let you know if I've been fobbed off or how to do it!

Thank Post
    You can pin code it, once they enter the pin code though they can then change it.

Thank Post
    Hi scotyboy56,

I had a bit of play with my kit's settings over time and came this current working set. I don't have many problems with this as this negates requiring a dedicated Mobile Device Management system [other than Apple Configurator or Apple Profile Management in OSX Server], if your school's IT budget won't stretch to it.
    So you could try this, before pursuing other means.

You can set both the Passcode Lock and Restriction Lock, but set the 'passcode lock requirement after sleep timeframe' [sorry ] to 4 hours instead of immediately.
    Then you have an iPad that only requests a passcode after it has been asleep for more than four hours - during its recharge cycle, in ITs charging trolley or cupboard overnight. As you get in early the next morning, you wake up the lab trolley, punch in the passcode lock for each iPad[I know, just another thing to add to the daily chores - ahem...] and the iPads are ready to use.
    During the day, the iPad remains accessible [as during lesson time no iPad is ever going to sleep for 4 hours], except for the restrictions you have set, and the reset / wipe iPad option is locked out.

This I've tested in both iOS6 and iOS7. iOS7 goes one step further during the 'reset and wipe iPad' function, of requesting the AppleID of the main user who set the device up - that would be your school IT directors AppleID account [you *have* set up one of these, haven't you??? ]

To set up:
    Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Turn Passcode On and enter PIN twice [8 digits or more]
    Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Require Passcode > change whatever set to "After 4 hours"
    Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Simple Passcode > Off
    Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Erase Data > Off

Then:
    Settings > General > Restrictions > Turn Restrictions On and enter PIN twice [4 digits]
    Go through your restrictions set, no doubt you'll have your own policy, but I'm assuming the following [change as you see fit]:

Allow:
    -------------------------
    iTunes: Off
    installing apps: Off
    deleting apps: Off

Allowed Content:
    Ratings for: United Kingdom
    Music & Podcasts Explicit: Off
    Films rated: 12 [or whatever keystage your school teaches upto]
    TV Programs: Caution
    Books rated explicit: Off
    Apps rated: 12+ [or whatever keystage your school teaches upto]
    In-App purchases: Off
    Require Password for Purchases: Immediately

Privacy:
    I'll leave this upto you

Allow Changes:
    Accounts: On
    Find my Friends: Off
    Volume Limit: On

Game Center:
    Multiplayer Games: Off
    Adding Friends: Off

Return to the Main screen.

You will now find that in:
    Settings > General > Reset

The only setting that won't require a passcode will be Reset Home Screen Layout, which is no big deal as students are always rejigging the apps order of layout screens to suit them.

And the reason why 8 digits or more for a general passcode lock? Because the little darlings will expect you to have entered a short PIN [if at all]. Doubling up with a different PIN for the restriction lock keeps things tight.

Regards

Oddbod

Thank Post
    Just an update as promised - they cannot hide the settings like they said and are just saying to reimage if students mess them up

Thank Post
    "Muppets". I think your service provider needs to join you for a shadowing session before they recommend anything else.
    Last edited by Oddbod; 22nd October 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Coo! Sig works..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread