+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Putting tablets on a domain in Technical; Hello. I hope someone can help me with what is possibly a naive question but I've not found a satisfactory ...

Thank Post

Putting tablets on a domain

Hello. I hope someone can help me with what is possibly a naive question but I've not found a satisfactory answer on google.

Our new HT has decided we need tablets but is very unclear about why and how we would use them. We haven't got wireless and I think he imagines we can simply plug an access point into whatever classroom they will be used in. Something I'm against if only that it will be a pain setting it all up each time. Are there any security issues I can use to dissuade this course of action?

I know little about tablets and assume, if we want them to be able to securely join the domain (server 2013), then they will need to be running Windows 8?

Could anyone enlighten me please. Any suggestions on suitable tablets would be appreciated and also things to avoid.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pleasesir View Post
    Hello. I hope someone can help me with what is possibly a naive question but I've not found a satisfactory answer on google.

Our new HT has decided we need tablets but is very unclear about why and how we would use them. We haven't got wireless and I think he imagines we can simply plug an access point into whatever classroom they will be used in. Something I'm against if only that it will be a pain setting it all up each time. Are there any security issues I can use to dissuade this course of action?

I know little about tablets and assume, if we want them to be able to securely join the domain (server 2013), then they will need to be running Windows 8?

Could anyone enlighten me please. Any suggestions on suitable tablets would be appreciated and also things to avoid.

Many thanks in anticipation.
    Not really sure the benefit of a tablet without wireless, you will have to get a lot of Ethernet cables, but okay.

We have looked into some Dell Latitude 8 tablets for two faculty and went ahead and got them. They have to be Windows 8 Professional in order to join your domain. The other editions will not join domains. Dell had a fairly good deal where you got $200 off the tablet with purchase of a PC which we did. We do all our computer purchases through them anyway.

I look forward to them coming and more testing to be done, but it should work fairly simple. Obviously check the tablets you are purchasing have an Ethernet port, otherwise you will be getting adapters for the tablets. Just strange your HT would want them, but not look into wireless first.

3. Thanks to SpacePsych from:

pleasesir (12th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Sorry, I should have been more concise. We appreciate that wireless will be required but what worries me is that the HT will consider a basic access point that is plugged in where needed will suffice. I will be pushing for properly installed system such as Ruckus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to correct forum.

Thank Post
    Server 2013 does it have the start menu?

Thank Post

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Oops! I was using the Julian calendar. :red face:

Thank Post
    I would deffo push for a proper wireless system in place before getting tablets, as I doubt they will stay in range of the 1 AP plugged into the wall all the time so decent site wide coverage is essential.

Sounds more like your head teacher wants tablets for tablets sake rather than to achieve a specific goal with them. With the exception of the Windows 8 Pro based tablets the rest ie Apple iPads , Samsung Galaxy Tabs are designed for the new cloud world not the traditional client/server system we have been use to for years. But you can run your own private cloud that are all based around your active directory / windows server world such as using System centre 2012 to manage ipads as a MDM, share point 2013 with office web apps and exchange server for mail.

Tablets are a can of worms best kept sealed until you know exactly what the tablets are going to be used for.

9. Thanks to Quackers from:

pleasesir (13th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    no windows 8/8.1/2012/2012r2 have no start menu its tifkam or third party stuff. tbh i dont miss the start menu esp on a tablet

Thank Post
    You also have the fun when apps dont like proxies and/or authentication.

12. Thanks to free780 from:

pleasesir (13th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread