+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Apple Configurator Issues (ios7, passcode, iphoto) in Technical; Hi I'm currently working through a series ofissues updating a cart of iPads to iOS7 which are connected to a ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    34
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Apple Configurator Issues (ios7, passcode, iphoto)

    Hi

    I'm currently working through a series ofissues updating a cart of iPads to iOS7 which are connected to a mac minirunning Apple Configurator. Below are the issues i am having if case anyone has come across them already pls. If i fix them i'll add to this to help anyone else with thesame problems....

    Just to mention the Mac, iTunes and AC are allup to date.

    There's 32 iPads, on around half of them someof the kids have already updated the iOS over the wireless which means some ofthe apps now don't work until they are updated to new versions via AC.

    So problems so far:

    1. When the new versions of apps were importedinto AC they were all showing as free inc paid apps so the codes couldn't be assigned.
    FIX: Delete the apps from AC first before you re-import them


    2. Since the latest updates when the cart isplugged into the Mac iPhoto launches to view the photos on them and i get 30+boxes telling me "Photos in camera roll of iPad 'name' cannot be importedbecause the device is locked with a passcode. You must unlock the device toimport them" A suggested fix is to open Image Capture and set it to notlaunch any app when the ipads are connected but it doesn't make a differenceiPhoto still opens and this message appears every time.

    3. When I plugged one iPad into the macdirectly with a usb it updated to iOS7 ok, but when i plugged the trolley innone of them would check in to AC and i got 30+ boxes saying "AppleConfigurator could not connect to this device" The problem seems to bethat the iPads have a passcode on them...

    For the iPads still on iOS6 if the passcode isentered and then plugged in (either via usb directly or in the trolley) it thenappears in AC ok. Having a passcode on them didn't stop them checking in beforethe update?.

    For the iPads that have been updated over thewireless (now on iOS7), the problem seems to be when the passcode is enteredand then connected a message appears on ipad screen saying "Trust ThisComputer?"
    This is a new message? It's annoying as thecable in the trolley isn't long enough to work on the ipad while plugged and itwill be a pain to have to plug them in to usb one by one to turn passcodes offand click this message.

    4. Another issue with passcodes is onceupdated, the user is prompted to enter a passcode as it does but each time theiPad is refreshed it wipes the passcode and prompts for it to be set again.

    It's annoying that before all this i was just starting to get to grips with it all argh! lol, anyway if anyone has come across these issues and hasa fix please comment

  2. #2
    Abaddon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    600
    Thank Post
    72
    Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    I have issue no.1 - the fix does NOT work for me.. still trying to figure that out before the end of the week.
    I have issue no.2 - will try your suggestion shortly!

    Remember though - Apple is absolutely right for schools! (Ha!)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    34
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi, for number 2 it actually worked for me but for some I had to do a couple of times but it did stop opening iPhoto. My biggest problem at the moment is for a set of ipads that had updated themselves to ios7 over wireless, configurator doesn't want to know about them now!

  4. #4

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,157
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Are you running the latest AC?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    34
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    The issues i was having were after the 1.4 update but havent tested again since 1.4.2, is it any more stable as i've heard mixed reports?

  6. #6
    Bev
    Bev is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    158
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    I've taken the passcode off mine. I think I had to agree about 3 times that I didn't want a passcode, on each individual ipad, but they no longer have passcodes whcih means when I hook up my trolley all 16 ipads are appearing in Apple Configurator, or iTunes, and I can work on them all at once

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    83
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I've taken the passcode off mine. I think I had to agree about 3 times that I didn't want a passcode, on each individual ipad, but they no longer have passcodes whcih means when I hook up my trolley all 16 ipads are appearing in Apple Configurator, or iTunes, and I can work on them all at once
    Probably a bit late now, but I think that when supervising the iPads you can choose what part of the startup screens they display (or perhaps more aptly, which screens to skip) via the Setup tab.

    Quote Originally Posted by KTECH View Post

    1. When the new versions of apps were importedinto AC they were all showing as free inc paid apps so the codes couldn't be assigned.
    FIX: Delete the apps from AC first before you re-import them



    Haven't seen this, but have been stung by free apps moving to being paid. There's no warning of this anywhere along the line when you upgrade, but suddenly one of my apps was displaying -20 codes. Ugh. Configurator didn't remove the apps, but once they were unsupervised/resupervised, removed etc, the apps were gone. Now I'll have to search for the old version in Time machine I guess. Be warned.

    Quote Originally Posted by KTECH View Post
    2. Since the latest updates when the cart isplugged into the Mac iPhoto launches to view the photos on them and i get 30+boxes telling me "Photos in camera roll of iPad 'name' cannot be importedbecause the device is locked with a passcode. You must unlock the device toimport them" A suggested fix is to open Image Capture and set it to notlaunch any app when the ipads are connected but it doesn't make a differenceiPhoto still opens and this message appears every time.


    Is there no option in iPhoto preferences? I would have guessed at the Image Capture fix too, but if it's not using that, maybe there's a setting built in? I don't have the latest iPhoto, but if you're not using it, just trash it or back it up somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by KTECH View Post
    3. When I plugged one iPad into the macdirectly with a usb it updated to iOS7 ok, but when i plugged the trolley innone of them would check in to AC and i got 30+ boxes saying "AppleConfigurator could not connect to this device" The problem seems to bethat the iPads have a passcode on them...


    Not having this issue, though we use cheapie USB hubs. Any clues in the console?


    Quote Originally Posted by KTECH View Post
    4. Another issue with passcodes is onceupdated, the user is prompted to enter a passcode as it does but each time theiPad is refreshed it wipes the passcode and prompts for it to be set again.


    Make a backup of a device after setting no passcode, and restore every iPad to that backup. It'll still appear after updates, but then just make one new backup, and use that. There's a setting to turn it off when supervising, but you probably don't want to have to redo everything. At least, I wouldn't!
    Last edited by Driftingashore; 26th November 2013 at 01:13 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [iPad] Apple Configurator - iOS7 Help!
    By KTECH in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th October 2013, 10:46 PM
  2. iPad IOS7 and Apple Configurator update help ?!
    By gream0604 in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27th September 2013, 08:29 PM
  3. [iPad] Apple Configurator Issues
    By KTECH in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st September 2013, 11:07 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th June 2013, 01:57 PM
  5. [iPad] Apple Configurator
    By GrumbleDook in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17th March 2012, 07:22 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •