+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Airwatch and Silent App Install in Technical; Hi All, We are in the early stages of testing Airwatch MDM with iOS. Our devices (iPads) have been upgraded ...

Thank Post

Airwatch and Silent App Install

Hi All,

We are in the early stages of testing Airwatch MDM with iOS. Our devices (iPads) have been upgraded to iOS 7.0.

This is the issue - we can't find a way to install free Apps silently, i.e without having to enter the central Apple ID password.

Is this even possible?

Help very gratefully received.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    As far as I am aware this is not possible, its a security measure put in place by Apple.

The only way we have got Apps to install silently was using Apple Configurator on our iMac.

Matt

3. Thanks to fairm010 from:

Stuarte (1st October 2013)

Thank Post
    Turns out this is indeed the case. Thanks for your reply, Matt.

Thank Post
    I read that with iOS7 you can silent install and upgrade Managed ipad apps. Airwatch said this is possible but i can only get the ones that are in my itunes account to silent install. All others are prompting for a itunes account?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuarte View Post
    Hi All,

We are in the early stages of testing Airwatch MDM with iOS. Our devices (iPads) have been upgraded to iOS 7.0.

This is the issue - we can't find a way to install free Apps silently, i.e without having to enter the central Apple ID password.

Is this even possible?

Help very gratefully received.

Cheers!
    iOS 7 brings this feature, you could do this previously on iOS 6 with a Mac Server running Profile Manager. But with iOS 7, you can push any app silently from a "Secured" location (The device needs to be remotely managed by the server sending the request)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    iOS 7 brings this feature, you could do this previously on iOS 6 with a Mac Server running Profile Manager. But with iOS 7, you can push any app silently from a "Secured" location (The device needs to be remotely managed by the server sending the request)
    Do you know how to actually set this up or have a guide any where? We have IOS 7 and OSX server 3 but i can't get them to silently install i have to login to the server via safari then the apps will deploy :S

Thank Post
    I'm struggling too on getting apps to silently install, on iOS7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I'm struggling too on getting apps to silently install, on iOS7.
    Glad it's not just me. We can do the silent installs but only if we log in via safari to macserver.local/mydevices. Which basically defeats the object :P

Thank Post
    I have been dealing with this for a few weeks! I get it working and then it stops working. I have airwatch and if its managed under apple configurator you are supposed to be able to silent install apps. It works on some devices and then I get a few that wont work on! Airwatch support has not been much help they just keep saying it works on there environment! Anyone else with airwatch trying to do this? How are you getting it to work?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmorris View Post
    I have been dealing with this for a few weeks! I get it working and then it stops working. I have airwatch and if its managed under apple configurator you are supposed to be able to silent install apps. It works on some devices and then I get a few that wont work on! Airwatch support has not been much help they just keep saying it works on there environment! Anyone else with airwatch trying to do this? How are you getting it to work?
    I think it's a problem across the board, not just with that provider. Have you tried to re-supervise your devices? I've just given that a go to see if it offers any improvement as it was suggested by a few people.

Thank Post
    So I have tested two different MDM products with a supervised iOS device and both keep prompting for the password to install apps. So if you push 15 apps, it wants the password 15 times. Has anyone got this to work or is it an Apple issue? Starting to drive me mad.

Thank Post
    So I have tested two different MDM products with a supervised iOS device and both keep prompting for the password to install apps. So if you push 15 apps, it wants the password 15 times. Has anyone got this to work or is it an Apple issue? Starting to drive me mad.

Can confirm this is the same with the setup we have here which is latest IOS7, latest Apple configurator using Meraki MDM. Although I have found information about IOS7 having this new feature (silent install) I can't find any information about how to implement it being MDM info or Apple info.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrowlands View Post
    Can confirm this is the same with the setup we have here which is latest IOS7, latest Apple configurator using Meraki MDM. Although I have found information about IOS7 having this new feature (silent install) I can't find any information about how to implement it being MDM info or Apple info.
    That is one I was trying with. I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work. I've spent a good few hours trying to figure and testing various combinations but nothing has any affect. So it's just broken!

Thank Post
    That is one I was trying with. I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work. I've spent a good few hours trying to figure and testing various combinations but nothing has any affect. So it's just broken!
    Yes I have tried a number of things too, got so angry I had a little rant on another thread Shared iPads using Apple Configurator 1.4 iOS7 Shortcomings LOL

Thank Post
    I think i have it. Seems to be working on my test iPad.

1. Supervise the iPad (If it was already supervised, update Apple Configurator to the latest version on OSX mavericks and plug it in and click refresh)
    2. Remove the current management profiles off the iPad.
    3. go to macserver.local/mydevices (What ever your mac server is called and /mydevices)
    4. Log in as the admin and install the enrolment profile.
    5. Install the trust profile. (on the second tab)
    6. Log out of the safari browser.
    7. Check on your OSX Server Profile Manager that it has picked up the iPad.
    8. Choose an app that you have uploaded to profile manager and add it to the device.
    9. Hit save and it should deploy without needing to login.

Ensure you are also logged in on the iTunes account on the iPad in the settings. I also removed any profiles i had added using configurator and am just using profiles delivered via Profile Manager.

Let me know if this works for anyone else. Going to try it on some more and i'll feedback.

17. Thanks to tj2419 from:

lmgtfy (31st October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast