+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Configurator 1.2.1 Crash in Technical; Hello, There's quite a few threads popping up about Configurator and iOS7 but I've decided to stick with iOS6 for ...

Thank Post

Configurator 1.2.1 Crash

Hello,

There's quite a few threads popping up about Configurator and iOS7 but I've decided to stick with iOS6 for a bit longer.

We have a cart of 16 iPads and I use Configurator to manage them. I'm running OSX 10.7.5 on the iMac so we can't upgrade to the latest version of Configurator.

I haven't updated the iPads for a while and there's a few apps I want to add so I plug in the cart as normal and after a few seconds, Configurator crashes. First it says it's retrieving iOS info from Apple, then it starts decompressing the iOS and then it crashes.

I assume it's trying to download iOS7 automatically and then realises that it can't because I'm on an old version of Configurator. My question is- how do I stop it downloading iOS7 and simply let me add a few apps to the iPads?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I thought disconnecting from the Wifi might help, but it still seems to attempt to download the iOS update and begin to decompress it.

Maybe I will have to upgrade afterall...

Thank Post
    I got something similar this morning after an OS X update. It looks like we're going to have to update Configurator at least, if not iOS.

Thank Post
    There must be a simple way to stop Configurator trying to download the latest iOS version.

According to the documentation, if you want to upgrade the iOS, you have to press the 'Check for Update' button in the 'Supervise' section. But it seems, even if we don't press that button, it still checks for the latest version and automatically tries to install it. So annoying!

Thank Post
    This is a typical appleism , they give you the choice to upgrade but it's not really a choice at all. Their documentation says a supervised devices must run the latest available version of the operating system hence it forcing you to do it when this option is checked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdell View Post
    This is a typical appleism , they give you the choice to upgrade but it's not really a choice at all. Their documentation says a supervised devices must run the latest available version of the operating system hence it forcing you to do it when this option is checked.
    Yes, appleism indeed. I'm now downloading Mountain Lion, which will then allow me to install Configurator 1.4, which might allow me to keep using iOS6? Or will it still automatically update to iOS7 the second I connect an iPad to the Mac?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    Yes, appleism indeed. I'm now downloading Mountain Lion, which will then allow me to install Configurator 1.4, which might allow me to keep using iOS6? Or will it still automatically update to iOS7 the second I connect an iPad to the Mac?
    That's the path I've followed today. It is possible to keep iOS6 but configurator will keep trying to upgrade it. There is no way to go back to iOS6 once iOS7 has been installed on a device. Not even a restore from backup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iom100 View Post
    That's the path I've followed today. It is possible to keep iOS6 but configurator will keep trying to upgrade it. There is no way to go back to iOS6 once iOS7 has been installed on a device. Not even a restore from backup.
    Thanks for the heads up. iOS 7 seems to be getting mixed reviews. Not sure whether to upgrade or not.

Even Mountain Lion had a lot of bad reviews on the App Store but we don't seem to have a choice if we want to use Configurator!

Thank Post
    It will force you to upgrade to iOS 7

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    It will force you to upgrade to iOS 7
    So one person is saying it's possible to keep iOS6 and someone else is saying the opposite?

Thank Post
    So one person is saying it's possible to keep iOS6 and someone else is saying the opposite?
    For supervised devices, it will automatically try and refresh the iPads to the latest version of iOS - Apple built that to make sure that Supervised devices are always kept up to date with software... Its nothing new due to iOS 7, its been there for years!

Thank Post
    15 mins left on the Mountain Lion install...my next problem is that iOS 7 apparently needs at least 2.9GB free space to install. All of our iPads have about 1.7GB free. That's without having any photos/videos stored on them. Guess I'll have to get rid of some apps!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    For supervised devices, it will automatically try and refresh the iPads to the latest version of iOS - Apple built that to make sure that Supervised devices are always kept up to date with software... Its nothing new due to iOS 7, its been there for years!
    Just finished installing Mountain Lion and Configurator 1.4.

If I go to the Config. preferences, there's an option saying 'When a supervised device is connected: Automatically refresh'. If I uncheck this, will it then allow me to add new apps without having to update to iOS 7?

Thank Post
    Actually, I'm answering my own question- you can keep iOS 6 if you select 'Never update device' from the drop down list which is found next to 'Update iOS:' in the Supervise section of Configurator.

Thank Post
    I am liking the new features of Configurator 1.4. It's nice to see an itemised list of the updates as they are being carried out. So far, so good...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread