+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, IOS 7!!!!! It's out so now what? WIRELESS! in Technical; Hey Guys As I'm sure you're all aware iOS 7 came out yesterday. As usual Apple's Servers got overloaded and ...

Thank Post

IOS 7!!!!! It's out so now what? WIRELESS!

Hey Guys

As I'm sure you're all aware iOS 7 came out yesterday. As usual Apple's Servers got overloaded and people where having 12-24 Hours wait while downloading it to their iDevice. Now personally I don't really care iOS 7 is just another spruced up version with a few more added features to make more people buy these IDevice's that seem to make my job a lot more difficult than it has to be although that is opinion!

Now there was certain websites going around saying that iOS7 with a new version of Apple Configurator will allow all iPads to have apps transferred to them wirelessly from a central location on an internal network! Anyone know where to start with this? Is anyone playing about with this today?

Please post your news here

Thank Post
    I will be exploring all the documentation for the new MDM features, Ill let you know If i find anything about wireless apps!

On a side note; Profile Manager received an update yesterday, not sure what it contains yet

Thank Post
    So all our 80 of our iPads decided to download the iOS7 image completely unprompted, hammering the network connection in the process. Any ideas how we could turn this 'feature' off? I'm sure previous versions asked before download, and again before install.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's nasty considering some of the failures with ios7 - currently I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole until some of the glaring issues are fixed!

Thank Post
    Thankfully not installing automatically, just downloading hundreds of Mb and then prompting for the install. We'll tell people to not install just yet, but there doesn't seem to be anyway of stopping the download. It apparently happens if the wifi is switched on and it is left on charge,

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Now there was certain websites going around saying that iOS7 with a new version of Apple Configurator will allow all iPads to have apps transferred to them wirelessly from a central location on an internal network!
    That sounds a bit like the new version of Profile Manager in OS X 10.9 Server.

Edt. You can also use an existing MDM solution to deploy apps wirelessly.

www.apple.com/ios/business/

Last edited by Arthur; 20th September 2013 at 08:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some things currently not playing ball from my experience:

Meraki
    Impero app
    Multiple games (reported by a friend obviously using his for personal things)
    the Collins set of English program apps

Didn't play with too much else but, goes without saying, test on a "disposable" unit before deploying to avoid upset whilst you wait for updates.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    It also breaks Emerge - we have been warned not to install it until a new Emerge release is made available

Thank Post
    Just blocked mesu.apple.com on our firewall, to try and prevent every iPad and iPhone in school from updating at the same time.

iOS 7: Block iOS updates on your office network, avoid first-day upgrade overload | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Thank Post
    To date, AirWatch is the only MDM capable of supporting new iOS 7 features, as mentioned above, the new version of Profile Manager (Profile Manager 3) will be supported in OS X Mavericks. This is to include new features for supporting the new licensing model as parts of VPP have been removed/deprecated, new MDM iOS 7 commands like locking wallpaper change and better web UI. Apple has also changed the Apple ID Terms and Conditions to support under 13 year olds, as this was an issue in Education.

So far, there has not been an update for Apple Configurator, but we are expecting one soon.

Thank Post
    parts of VPP have been removed/deprecated
    This is news to me - have you got any more info about this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    To date, AirWatch is the only MDM capable of supporting new iOS 7 features
    What rubbish! I'm sorry but with a bit of tweaking I've got Meraki working like a dream has taken me from yesterday till now to get it all working and a bit of fiddling! Though all pays off can now push apps from Meraki to all iOS 7 devices without them prompting to install all the time they just do it automatically just save the iTunes password it's awesome. Yes there will be some fault like any new OS, my girlfriend is having major problems on it with her iPhone but on the iPad 2 it's working a treat haven't come across any problems. For this silent app push alone I reckon it's worth you guys at least trialing it on 1 iPad and see how it goes. I've made up my mind will be installing this throughout our school!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    What rubbish! I'm sorry but with a bit of tweaking I've got Meraki working like a dream has taken me from yesterday till now to get it all working and a bit of fiddling! Though all pays off can now push apps from Meraki to all iOS 7 devices without them prompting to install all the time they just do it automatically just save the iTunes password it's awesome. Yes there will be some fault like any new OS, my girlfriend is having major problems on it with her iPhone but on the iPad 2 it's working a treat haven't come across any problems. For this silent app push alone I reckon it's worth you guys at least trialing it on 1 iPad and see how it goes. I've made up my mind will be installing this throughout our school!
    Comparison of MDM Providers | Enterprise iOS

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    That table is for the most part worthless.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast