+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Nexus 4? Or wait for Nexus 5? in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Nexus 4? Or wait for Nexus 5?

My HTC Desire HD is starting to show it's age. It's coming up towards three years old now and out of all the phones I've owned, it's been the best by far. I'm looking to buy a new, unlocked phone for my giffgaff SIM card. While I'd like a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an HTC One, I'm not willing to spend £500+ outright on a new phone no matter how awesome and shiny.

I've recently been pointed in the direction of the LG Nexus 4. It looks like a really affordable phone now the price has dropped to £159, and the spec is none too bad either. Rumour has it though is the price has dropped because the Nexus 5 is due out imminently with Android 5 on it, and the remaining Nexus 4 stock needs to be shifted. My question is, should I go for the 4, or wait for the 5? I'd be interested to know what kind of estimated price the Nexus 5 will go for new and what possible spec it may have? If it's priced with top end smart phones, I'll go for the Nexus 4, but if the spec is better and the price in a more affordable range, I'd be tempted with the 5. Is anyone aware of the suspected release date?

Also, does anyone know if the Nexus 4 is easy to root?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Most android phones are relatively easy to root by installing a custom rom on them, mainly buy coping to the memory and rebooting it (its slightly more complex but that's the jist).

Personally having held the S4 and Nexus 4 I would be S4 all the way, the screen is one of the best you will get out at the moment if not the best

3. Thanks to glennda from:

Rawns (2nd September 2013)

Thank Post
    Just go for an S3... That's what I did not so long ago. It's still an absolute monster of a phone. If I'm honest the S4 didn't have enough features on it that i'd personally use to make me spend the extra £200 for the S4. The screen and features is amazing on the S3 too. I'd personally recommend it to anyone

5. Thanks to L3OUGH from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by L3OUGH View Post
    Just go for an S3... That's what I did not so long ago. It's still an absolute monster of a phone. If I'm honest the S4 didn't have enough features on it that i'd personally use to make me spend the extra £200 for the S4. The screen and features is amazing on the S3 too. I'd personally recommend it to anyone
    The S3 does look good, but at £284 on Amazon, I'm thinking it's still a little pricey..

Thank Post
    I've just ordered a Nexus 4. The decider for me is the price point - I can't see anything near that spec for £159. S3 looks more like £250, which admittedly is still "mid-range", but it's almost half as much again! Only downsides I could see is that it doesn't support external memory and battery life is slightly down. But £159!

Bias disclosure: buying for my wife who has never had a smartphone before, so likely to be quite impressive. Me - I love my Nokia with proper keys for each number and battery life of over a week

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    The S3 does look good, but at £284 on Amazon, I'm thinking it's still a little pricey..
    Before my S3, I had the original Nexus, the Samsung one. I thought that device was mind blowing but the S3 just blew my mind even more. Well worth the money if you ask me, but that's just my opinion.

Thank Post
    The screen on an S4 outshines the S3 by far (I've had both). The S4 has some very nifty apps preinstalled which are good.

Thank Post
    Before my S3, I had the original Nexus, the Samsung one. I thought that device was mind blowing but the S3 just blew my mind even more. Well worth the money if you ask me, but that's just my opinion.
    Was that not the Nexus one by Samsung? As the orginal nexus was HTC.

Main reason I moved away was they kept jumping between suppliers to make the things.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Was that not the Nexus one by Samsung? As the orginal nexus was HTC.

Main reason I moved away was they kept jumping between suppliers to make the things.
    Noooo definitely a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the screen may be better on the S4 but the screen isn't bad on the S3 at all. Better than most devices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    should I go for the 4, or wait for the 5?
    I would get the Nexus 4 given your budget since it will almost certainly be updated to Android v5.0. I would however, get the 16GB model instead of the 8GB since you will run out of space quickly.

Do you need a phone with a removable battery and SD card slot?

I'd be interested to know what kind of estimated price the Nexus 5 will go for new and what possible spec it may have?
    The price will depend upon if Google decides to sell it at cost price or not. The specs are rumoured to be similar to (or the same as) the LG G2.

Is anyone aware of the suspected release date?
    It's out next month.

does anyone know if the Nexus 4 is easy to root?
    Nexus devices are extremely easy to root. It was one of the first things I did when I got mine (along with unlocking the bootloader since this wipes everything).
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd September 2013 at 03:13 PM.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Standard Google (on Nexus) hardly needs to be rooted. No extra manufacturer crap and no extra carrier crap, plus it can be updated from source a few days after it is out. Personally speaking there's nothing I need to root for.

S4>N4>S3

For the price the N4 destroys everything.

The only thing lacking on the N4 is a full HD screen. N5 should have that.

15. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I would get the Nexus 4 given your budget since it will almost certainly be updated to Android v5.0. I would however, get the 16GB model instead of the 8GB since you will run out of space quickly.

Do you need a phone with a removable battery and SD card slot?
    Not really. Removable battery is handy though if it starts to ware out. I have got a 8GB SD card in my current phone, but if I get a 16GB model, I doubt I'll have a need for it.

It's out next month.
    Maybe I'll hag fire until it's announced just to see the spec/price etc. Ican still get the 4 if necessary.

]Nexus devices are extremely easy to root. It was one of the first things I did when I got mine (along with unlocking the bootloader since this wipes everything).
    Nice. I'd want to get Ad Aware on there, Titanium Backup and a few other apps that require root access.

Thank Post
    Last edited by Arthur; 4th September 2013 at 08:01 AM.

18. Thanks to Arthur from:

Rawns (4th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd get the Nexus 4. It's a bargain at that price, and will get all the Android updates anyway. (Incidentally, I can't believe it will come with Android 5 given that they've just announced the name of 4.4... but the number doesn't really matter, as Chrome & Firefox have proven.)

No, the screen is not Full HD. But Full HD eats more battery and the 1280x768 display is ample and gorgeous and eminently readable. If I'm honest, the 4.7" screen is too big to be hand friendly - lovely for the eyes, but awkward to use, and I have giant piano-playing hands so if it's bad for me it must be painful for normal humans. If the Nexus 5 will be 5.2" like the G2 it's going to be impossible to use one handed; I can only just manage now on the N4.

And definitely get 16GB. It didn't take me long to go over the 8GB mark on mine. MicroSD support would be lovely, but you're paying double for a phone that's as good but with that capability. Google Play Music etc. works well enough for streaming your music (though it's a PITA when you live in the sticks, the last part of my lawn gets mowed very quickly so I don't stray out of WiFi signal too long).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I'd get the Nexus 4. It's a bargain at that price, and will get all the Android updates anyway.
    If the new Nexus smartphone is the same price as the Nexus 4 was, before it was recently discounted, then that will be a bargain too compared to phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One.

I can't believe it will come with Android 5 given that they've just announced the name of 4.4... but the number doesn't really matter, as Chrome & Firefox have proven.
    Given that the '5' refers to the screen size and not the version of Android installed, I reckon it will come with 4.4 too.

the 1280x768 display is ample and gorgeous and eminently readable.
    The colours could be a bit better on the Nexus 4's screen. Luckily there's an app to fix that...

www.xda-developers.com/android/revitalize-your-nexus-4s-display-with-nexus-4-display-control/

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast