+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Android 4.3 released for Google Nexus devices in Technical; Although this is "old" news, I thought it might be worth posting about since there are some nice new features ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts

Android 4.3 released for Google Nexus devices

Although this is "old" news, I thought it might be worth posting about since there are some nice new features in Android 4.3, in addition to lots of bug fixes (inc. some relating to proxy servers). Have any EduGeek's upgraded yet?

Download Links
    New features

• An in-depth look at the big (and small) additions to Android Jelly Bean 4.3
      Here's everything we could find that's new and notable in Android Jelly Bean 4.3. Most of it is for developers and gives the software a bit of spit and polish, and at least some of the new features require fancy new hardware. But if you want to get a quick overview of all the new stuff coming to a Nexus near you (and hopefully other devices) soon, this is it.
    • Android 4.3 Feature Focus: Multi-User with Restricted Profiles
      Android 4.2 introduced a major change for tablets: multi-user profiles. This allows each member of the family (or organization), to have their own profile, complete with app, homescreen, and setting independence. Today, with Android 4.3, Google has taken multi-user accounts to the next level with restricted profiles. Essentially, this allows the tablet owner to have granular control over the other user accounts on the device.
    • App Ops: Android 4.3's hidden app permission manager. Control permissions for individual apps!
      Android 4.3 has a hidden feature! It's called "App Ops" and it lets you selectively disable some permissions for your apps. Is some misbehaving app constantly pinging your location and draining your battery in a few hours? You can fix that now.
    • Android 4.3 update brings TRIM to all Nexus devices « AnandTech
      One of the common complaints late in the life of the original Nexus 7 was slow storage I/O performance, leading to an inconsistent user experience. After a fresh flash, the Nexus 7 was speedy and performant, but after months of installing applications and using the tablet, things began slowing down. This was a friction point that many hoped would be fixed in the new Nexus 7 (2013) model, which it was. There’s even more to the story though, it turns out Google has fixed that storage I/O aging problem on all Nexus devices with the Android 4.3 update.

Bugs Fixed

Guides

Thank Post
    Some people are reporting that the random reboot issue affecting the Nexus 10 has been fixed in Android 4.3, while others are saying it is worse after upgrading.

Thank Post
    Just updated my nexus 7 - runs like a dream. Even now I have quite a few apps

Thank Post
    upgraded the n4 on friday through adb, non rooted stock. edge of screen tap annoyance seems to be fixed. permission manager is very good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    permission manager is very good.
    Agreed

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mine arrived on my Nexus 4 last night. Not had chance to dig around on it yet, but the phone is running fine.

Thank Post
    Can they just get around with Key Lime Pie already?

Also on another related note to N4 users; how much on screen time do you get out of yours? I can get 2hrs, 3 at the biggest of pushes. I've all the big syncs off, the most basic push notifcations as you would for any phone. Brightness down, blahblahblah. Frusatrates the hell out of m

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got it on my n7, seems to work but I do only use it about once a week so anything non-glaring I have probably missed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post

Also on another related note to N4 users; how much on screen time do you get out of yours? I can get 2hrs, 3 at the biggest of pushes. I've all the big syncs off, the most basic push notifcations as you would for any phone. Brightness down, blahblahblah. Frusatrates the hell out of m
    Are you rooted? If so have you used better battery stats to see what keeps you phone awake etc? I would have thought about 2-3 hours would be about right though to be honest.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post

Depends on my signal. Poor signal area I'll get 2hrs screen time max. Good signal area/wifi I can get about 4. The Qualcomm Snapdragon BatteryGuru app works quite well at improving batter stats if you are not rooted.

Edit; Updated my Nexus 4 last night to 4.3. Running noticeably quicker. And seems to run cooler under heavy load than it used too.
    Last edited by arwen; 31st July 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Thank Post
    It looks like Google have finally added Miracast support to the devices listed below in Android 4.3.

However they have removed the code that enabled you to Miracast stuff to your Android device.

Last edited by Arthur; 31st July 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Thank Post
    I just tried that on the Netgear thing we got this morning, works really well compared to this Apple TV I've spent so long fannying around with.

And no, I'm not rooted but BetterBatteryStats doesn't show any bizarre wakelocks or anything. And since I've updated my phone has shut down numerous times on it's own. Eurgh.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread