+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Sorry - trying to get my head round VPP in Technical; Evening, A quickie question. Apologies if this has been answered hundreds of times but I am going round in circles. ...

Thank Post

Sorry - trying to get my head round VPP

Evening,

A quickie question.

Apologies if this has been answered hundreds of times but I am going round in circles.

I have created and been accepted as a Education account manager.

this is admin@

I have created an account inside called LSU_ipads@

I can log in at https://volume.itunes.apple.com using the LSU_ipads account.

What account do I set an ipad up with? I have another iTunes account for testing called iTunes@ which won't log onto the above address but I did link it to a iPad I bought.

Just trying to get my head round this as I am a late bloomer.

I only have 1 ipad now so have no MacBook to administer and will use Meraki for this one.

If I bought 4 more ipads would I use the same ITunes@ account on all 5 ipads.. how would I get the VPP apps onto it.

Thank Post
    VPP accounts created inside are only allowed to purchase apps.

A standard Apple ID account will be used with the redemption codes sent to the VPP email address that made the purchase.

If you have created a VPP apple ID then you cannot convert it to a standard iTunes account, I phoned Apple regarding this and they said they can't do anything in converting these over, I had created about 20 before I realised it wouldn't work.

Hope this helps!!

Thank Post
    Further to add, yes the same ID can be used on multiple devices.

So the same apps will appear on all devices if you have automatic downloads turned on.

The problem occurs if you intend to have different users for each iPad then you need an app redemption code per iPad.

In Meraki you add all 5 codes to the App you want to use and then distribute a single code to 1 iPad and it would install on all iPads, if they are logged in with the same iTunes account.

If you buy 5 codes and distribute just one, even if you have four spare, they would in theory be allocated to the remaining iPads, and thus fulfil the licensing from apple.

Meraki is great for distributing settings, apps via Tags.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this.

Do you trust staff with the secondary VPP accountsot purchase?

i have Meraki setup but not had chance to play with it yet so will give that a try. I get the impression the staff will want to buy stuff themselves. I take it they can do this with a voucher on a single machine or would that go to all the machines using that itunes account?

Thank Post
    Our accounts department but the apps and email me the codes, I then assign them in meraki and as if by magic staff get prompted to install the app

Thank Post
    If staff are using the same Apple ID then assuming automatic downloads are turned on each iPad they all will get a copy BUT this is against apple T&Cs so to cover yourself just buy as many app codes for one single app to cover all the iPads.

What you will tend to find is that staff will create there own Apple ID and buy their own apps if they are cheap enough.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread