+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Connecting MS Surface's to a Projector? in Technical; Hi Everyone My Academy is toying with whether or not to buy IPad's or Surface's for teaching staff next year. ...

Thank Post

Connecting MS Surface's to a Projector?

Hi Everyone

My Academy is toying with whether or not to buy IPad's or Surface's for teaching staff next year. Possibly roll out 1:1 for students in the next academic year. For Months we were set on the IPads but then Microsoft released the new pricing so itís making us think. I personally love the Surface. I have one myself and use it every day at work. Having Office pre installed and a Windows OS is makes my life a lot easier. I did own an IPad beforehand but never used it practically for work. I mainly used it to play Star Wars Angry Birds and surf the web.

The question I have is; How would I connect the Surface to a projector in each classroom? Weíre undergoing a complete IT refurbishment and will be buying Smart Projectors in every classroom. Each classroom will also have a Standard desktop connected to the projector. At the moment all staff have laptops which they carry everywhere. Iím going to be ditching these completely though. Instead we were looking at IPads for the staff to use in the classroom as well as home use. Still got questions marks on them. Whether or not to use Diplay Note or such programs, or just use Apple TV. With the Surfaces though I donít have a clue where to start so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    The Surface (RT) has a micro HDMI connector, and leads & adaptors are available to connect this to full-size HDMI, DVI, or VGA (at varying prices).

For some reason the Surface Pro has a Mini DisplayPort connector instead, but again, the same range of adaptors are available.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that AngryTech.
    Is there away to wirlessly connect it to a projector though? Sorry should have said that. The idea is that the teacher can walk around the classroom and use it interactively instead of sitting at the front of the classroom. Hence why I said I'd looked at Display Note for the Ipad?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know of any 'simple' way to do this. Microsoft, in their wisdom, chose a Marvell chip and didn't include Miracast. If they'd included it, or used an Intel chip with WiDi then it'd be fine.

The closest I can think of is SmartGlass via Xbox 360...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread