+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Nokia lumia 925 in Technical; as my current phone is playing silly beggars (every now and again sometimes repeatedly sometimes not for ages you make ...

Thank Post

Nokia lumia 925

as my current phone is playing silly beggars (every now and again sometimes repeatedly sometimes not for ages you make or recieve a call and it reboots, keeps randomly turning off been doing that for a while and has now decided to keep unmounting the sd card) im looking at getting a new phone (current is a htc desire s and wouldnt have another htc and its put me off android as well) so has anyone got a 925/920 if so whats it like to live with and how bad is the app store? apps wise all i need really is a torch and something like wifianalyser. I think win8 phone does tethering which can be damned handy as my landline at home is p poor. Looking at getting it on 3 as at least at home i get a decent signal orange minimal signal o2 dead vodaphone sometimes no idea about ee/t mobile

Thank Post
    I have the Lumia 620 and am very happy with it. Tethering is super handy. also built in search can handle book covers, movie covers, barcodes, listen to music and voice commands. Free full offline SATNAV with Nokia. Nokia music is a really good app (no adverts!). Skydrive sync with all photos videos and docs. (if you want) app store isn't barren just not as full as the other 2. At least you can try full price apps before you purchase.

3. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

sted (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I have a 920 supplied as a work phone. It does do 'tethering' although that will drain the battery quite quickly. The app store is a bit thin but gradually improving, although my app needs are even less than yours! Generally I really like the phone, despite it's size. It is nice and responsive, has a very usable screen and 'feels' quality. I bought a wireless charging pad for it and while plugging it in isn't exactly a major chore, I really like that feature. The camera is supposedly good (esp low light) but zoom in and compression artifacts abound. I'm probably just too/very fussy about pictures though. I was a little disappointed that windows 8 behaves differently than on the RT, but I guess that's inevitable with the different format.

As a piece of hardware I prefer it to an iPhone but it's obviously far less mature on the app side.

5. Thanks to pcstru from:

sted (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Husband has the 925 - the one thing he hates about it is that you can unlock it without needing the PIN, eg/ you receive a phone call and answer it, the phone automatically unlocks when the call is ended. Poor security!

7. Thanks to Joanne from:

sted (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I have the Nokia 820 and my better half has the 925. I would go for the 925 every time now. Its light and slim, the screen is pretty good too. The apps coming slowly but surely. They have all the ones you need to get by. The battery can get battered if you are using a lot of GPS kind of stuff but the wireless charging is pretty cool.

I know the 925 is free on 3 on a £30pm contract with unlimited data, 500mins and 5000txt.
    Last edited by aleach2; 27th June 2013 at 03:11 PM.

9. Thanks to aleach2 from:

sted (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    no idea about ee/t mobile
    Same as orange I'd guess as they're all the same company?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Same as orange I'd guess as they're all the same company?

Ben
    Sure are.

Thank Post
    seriously is there a torch app to turn the flash on as thats the most useful app on my current phone

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    seriously is there a torch app to turn the flash on as thats the most useful app on my current phone
    yes there is.

14. Thanks to Joanne from:

sted (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    yeap, there is a free app for flashlight, it also does compass and SOS

Thank Post
    Can you run and install apps without going to the Windows app store, much like how you can with an Android by uploading the APK to a SD card or the phone's internal memory?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I personally have never had an issue with a HTC, my friend however, did have problems with his Desire S too. I think they might have been a rushed smaller version of the Desire HD (which I had and was beautiful). I now have a HTC One X, which I had an issue with the sim card constantly preparing, but I read that the sim tray was manufactured 0.2mm too deep. A piece of paper fixed that right up. I <3 android and HTC and would never deviate... the HTC One is meant to be the best phone out there right now. I'm not due an upgrade for 14 months yet, but if I were looking now, that's what I'd be getting!

Thank Post
    bought it now and playing so far apart from lousy text tone choice i like it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good choice sted, love my 920 and wireless charging and watch this space for a wp8 edugeek app 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Can you run and install apps without going to the Windows app store, much like how you can with an Android by uploading the APK to a SD card or the phone's internal memory?

Simply put, no you cant, you can get it unlocked though like ios and then you can deploy apps to it.

Thank Post
    935 dosent have built in wireless charging and the charger lead is damned tight but its a bit of a pointless gimmick imo and not something im prepared to buy an expensive cover for

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast