+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPads for Staff, how have you configured them? in Technical; All our staff are getting ipads. they are sat in nice shiny boxes under my desk at the moment. I've ...
    Bev

Thank Post

iPads for Staff, how have you configured them?

All our staff are getting ipads. they are sat in nice shiny boxes under my desk at the moment.

I've got lightspeed on the students ipads, but not sure if it's offering me anything more than Meraki, so may/may not increase it to cover the staff ones.

The plan is for each iPad to be personal to a staff member, but ultimately belong to school.

They are to have school email on them, and also be linked to the school calendar. (We use a corporate gmail)

We will buy some apps for all the staff (if I can ever get a VPP agreement set up).

My first question:

Do I put them all on the school's Apple-Id, or set up an Apple-ID for their school email address, or let each staff member create their own personal apple-id? I was leaning towards setting up AppleIds for the school email address, but I can't set them up without a credit card.

2nd Question:

How on earth do you get the Volume Purchasing Agreement set up? I've filled in the online form a number of times, I get one initial email and then nothing.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We let staff create their own IDs.

They are effecivly personal devices to them

We supply them with gift vouchers and instructions on how to setup email, calendars and emerge.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    They are effecivly personal devices to them
    Does that not make it a taxable perk?

Thank Post
    How are you addressing DPA issues with these?

We are starting to introduce iPads in the classroom but our Infosec Officer is keen that they are encrypted and restriction policies applied via some sort of MDM solution (our ICT department have committed to having an MDM solution in place fairly soon). I think they're going to be looking at staff devices having a complex password policy applied and therefore encrypted. This should keep the ICO happy!

We are also labelling them as being for "Staff use only - not to be used by pupils". Likewise, we are labelling pupil devices as "Pupil use only - Do not remove from school". This should be a sufficient "procedural measure" (to use ICO speak) to ensure that personal sensitive data is kept safe.

We're keen that schools are able to manage their app purchases locally, but think the LA might want to keep control for audit purposes.

I'd be interested what others are doing to ensure they comply with the Information Commissioners Office and the like....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Does that not make it a taxable perk?
    Correct just like Laptops are, smart phones etc... but only if they take them home and use them for personal use

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Correct just like Laptops are, smart phones etc... but only if they take them home and use them for personal use
    But how do you prove "personal use"?

I used to work in a school where some would give them to their offspring who took them off to University.
    Cheaper than buying your own!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I was leaning towards setting up AppleIds for the school email address, but I can't set them up without a credit card.
    You can but it's a bit of a pain.
    Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    But how do you prove "personal use"?

I used to work in a school where some would give them to their offspring who took them off to University.
    Cheaper than buying your own!!!
    How did you prove it / disprove it for laptops? (not an answer more a question back) its that same magic pot like the other devices. I guess you could look at apps and when you see the HSBC Banking app go personal use? or when they have gmail setup on it and its there personal that would be personal use?

We just made them sign a disclaimer that said no personal use unless you tell the bursar who will then tell the LA to garnish your celery for taxable benefit, apparently no-one used the laptop for personal use yet amazing how many came in with itunes, malware etc....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread