+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Help me, please drag me from this pit of despair in Technical; ooooo AirGroup for AirPrint and AirPlay | Aruba Networks Mission Impossible: Enabling AirPlay on the Guest Wireless LAN | Aruba ...
    Thank Post
    ooooo
    AirGroup for AirPrint and AirPlay | Aruba Networks
    Mission Impossible: Enabling AirPlay on the Guest Wireless LAN | Aruba Networks

I'm actually starting to quite like aruba after all

EDIT: sorry double post, not sure what happened there.

Thank Post
    As a school trying to work out how to enable staff to use their own ipads in the classroom this thread is a LIFESAVER! Can I recommend AirServer Ė 30 Apple TVs for the price of One (and instant sharing and engagement in the Classroom) and its threads as very useful and something we are going to try to emulate as a quick-fix low cost option.

How about staff with Google based tablets. Can anyone point me to some advice on how to let staff with their own Nexus tablet connect to the data projector in the room. Is there some bridging software we can deploy like the Apple AirServer?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
    Can anyone point me to some advice on how to let staff with their own Nexus tablet connect to the data projector in the room. Is there some bridging software we can deploy like the Apple AirServer?
    Not quite the same thing, but you can install a VNC server on the teacher workstation and let the teacher use an app on their phone or tablet to control the cursor through that, effectivly turning their device into a touchpad for their display. VNC servers are free to instll, and I'm sure the associated apps aren't expensive, although it can be a bit of a palavar setting up VNC servers on each machine with separate, configurable passwords (because otherwise children can bring in a phone, connect to VNC on the teacher's computer and start controlling the cursor and keyboard...).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    @mrbios:

Feel your pain, I had 3 weeks to cost, install and connect 30 IPads for an LA consultant (Glorified science teacher) who knew absolutely nothing about how to conect the devices or get an Apple TV connected and working and she had been doing this for a couple of years, took 2 days to install and configure Aerohive wireless then 10 mins to connect the IPads, what really made it worse was the fact that we got a message 2 days before this consultant was to come in to our school asking us to install 25 apps of which 9 were paid.

It was a very steep learning curve as you well know and now they are asking about printing off these totally inept devices and what has my line manager done behind my back? Tried to get some firm in to sort the printing and control of the devices as she has been to an LA network meeting and they introduced another salesman who is probably a friend of the guy at the LA who told them this software was what they required to deliver and manage any wireless device guess what they told her to invest in? Impero!

I didn't know it could control and deliver apps to IOS and Android wireless devices as well as control which apps the students used? If anyone can enlighten me further I would appreciate it very much.

Anyway @mrbios: I do hope you have a better experience of the Apple devices as you go forward............me personally..........I think Apple will eventually be superceded by Windows as it seems the latest IOS 7 is very much like the Microsoft offering, it seems they have a similar target me thinks.

Anyway all the best in your quest to tame the elusive IOS device.

P.S. don't get me wrong I think the IPad is a truly remarkable personal device on a 1:1 basis but as a device for sharing it is not!!!

5. 2 Thanks to bossman:

mrbios (16th June 2013), russdev (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    To help your pain with printing have a look at EveryonePrint, would recommend it to anyone. Install on your windows print server with any network printer attached to it and it will publish these to the iPad via the free app and you can print. It will also integrate with PCounter and PaperCut, not sure what the integration gives you apart from accounting but if all your want to do is print I would recommend it.

If you want any help on it PM me.

7. Thanks to MatthewL from:

mrbios (16th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Some fantastic advice so far, thank you all

I think my next step then is to get Aruba AirGroup setup, get foldr setup and also the various programs such as AirServer/Reflector and whichever printing program i go for to publish those to the devices, and finally an MDM solution. Once I'm at that point I'll have hopefully ticked most of the boxes for my issues and then i'll be back on to the tedious task of configuring the devices and setting up apps. Last time i did it the macbook i was using died in the middle of configuring them, this time though i've got a portable HDD that I'm going to periodically backup the configurator database to (as well as the network)....not falling over that hurdle again!

Thank Post
    regarding impero this was the last reply I got from impero:
    Ipads are sandboxed so we are restricted at the moment. However, we are working closely with Apple and they basically tell us what we can and canít do. Unfortunately we have no permissions yet, but thatís not saying we will never get the go ahead.

So it seems unlikely we can control ipads via impero which is a shame because it does a good job on keeping students on task.

10. Thanks to maark from:

russdev (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    regarding impero this was the last reply I got from impero:
    Ipads are sandboxed so we are restricted at the moment. However, we are working closely with Apple and they basically tell us what we can and can’t do. Unfortunately we have no permissions yet, but that’s not saying we will never get the go ahead.

So it seems unlikely we can control ipads via impero which is a shame because it does a good job on keeping students on task.
    Currently Impero has IOS app that has two modes mode one is a teacher console i.e control other machines etc (windows/osx) and then student mode so teachers can send broadcasts, exams, message, chat windows etc to the student. We do not currently manage the IOS device.

Russell

12. Thanks to russdev from:

mrbios (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Looks like you are getting some good advice on here but PM me if you need any further advice or help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Let me give you the straight scoop on doing this as simply and troublefree as possible.

First, the fact that you have eight WiFi VLANs isn't really a problem. You don't need MDM for a trolley full of iPads, in fact I'd recommend against it as it doesn't give you any advantages only more work. In a 1:1 or BYOD environment MDM is a necessity. So, here's what I would do if I were you:

1. Use Apple Configurator and a VPP account to manage them and install apps. You can create an SOE image and load that on all the iPads. If you have a charge and sync cart, you can do them all at once including installing apps. Anything you can manage with MDM you can do with Configurator. With MDM you'd have to manually enroll each iPad and install each app anyway so Configurator is actually quicker. You have to use Configurator to place the iPads in supervised mode for MDM to be able to use some features. So, again there is no reason at all to use MDM in your circumstances. I wouldn't.

2. Use Printopia Pro to enable AirPrint across all of your VLANs. It works a charm and can also be used to setup printer access by VLANS. So, if you want some printers accessible only by teachers, but others accessible by everyone you can do that. The cost is VERY reasonable for Printopia Pro and its very easy to use.

3. The AirPlay issue is easily solved by placing the projector PCs on the same VLANS as the teacher iPads (yes, even a WiFi VLANS). I would not try the various tricks some vendors have tried to make it work across VLANs as you risk mDNS traffic swamping your network or have unreliable AirPlay coverage.

4. Enabling file access is the hardest bit, but can be achieved at a cost with MobilEcho installed on your Windows file server. It works brilliantly and can be used by multiple users - they just logon and off the app like they would a PC to access their files. You could also use Google Drive, OwnCloud, DropBox, or WebDav, but these require you to change how you do things whereas MobilEcho doesn't (and MobilEcho integrates with SharePoint). You said the Head had a magical pot of money for the campus WiFi, so tell him to do what he wants with the iPads he'll need to dip not it again for MobilEcho.

p.s. I haven't used Foldr, but it requires a separate VM server and charges a per user license fee. In a large environment that could easily be much more expensive than MobilEcho, which has an unlimited user and server license for Edu. MobilEcho might be more expensive for very small environments, but if you go over 500 students + staff Foldr will start to get very expensive. If you setup the management server component of MobilEcho you have easy setup for BYOD and can revoke access easily as well. The only advantage I see to Foldr is the web interface to provide kind of a Dropbox like experience for your file server. Whichever you go with, it will be worth the money if you want to get max benefit it of the iPads (or Android).

5. Web filtering can be done either by setting a default filter by VLAN or using a capture page to make the user login for filtering. We use a default VLAN here and this approach works well as it is the least disruptive and transparent.

That, in a nutshell is all that needs to be done to achieve what is wanted. It is a proven solution. Don't make it more complicated than it is.
    Last edited by seawolf; 4th August 2013 at 06:45 AM.

15. Thanks to seawolf from:

psydii (4th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    p.s. AirServer works better than Reflector in all of our testing. We are using Mac Minis on our IWBs though so I haven't done testing of each solutions Windows version, so if that's what you'll be using it on I would test both in YOUR environment before deciding.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12