+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Ipad rollout in Technical; Good Morning Ive been tasked with our schools ipad rollout only at present noone seems to know what they want ...

Thank Post

Ipad rollout

Good Morning

Ive been tasked with our schools ipad rollout only at present noone seems to know what they want to use them for? Our school is not a mainstream school but a school for pupils with Special Educational Behavioural Difficulties. So getting them in class is a challenge most days.

how do you guys setup your ipads? for instance are you bothered who you setup the ipad for? do you have seperate profiles for teacher and pupil? We have come across various issues we think could come up should some of our more savy notorious messers get on the ipad as a teacher.

Do you lockdown icloud with apple stating this is for personal use only? If teachers taking pictures of pupils do you then allow them to take the ipad off site/home?

Does anyone have basic do's or dont's for ipad use. We want to maximise the use of the ipads without the worry of what ifs.

TIA
    Steve

Thank Post
    Hi

we are a special school in the West Midlands, we have been using ipads in the classroom effectively since easter, we are just about to image the machines through Apple Congurator and add apps through the VPP. we have found that you can restrict a lot through the settings app. you can also set guided use that restricts pupils to the app you want them to use - simple pin to start stop.

I havent yet doen too much with the teachers ipads but they will be coming in and will be reimaged.

pm me if you would like to chat about what we do and how they are being used in classroom.

all of our ipads for puipil use have a griffin survivor case on them!

Steve

Thank Post
    Hi,

Setup for us is done via Apple Configurator + VPP to install paid apps, then we use Profile Manager (Included with OS X 10.7+ Server) to push updates and settings OTA. I assign devices into groups and apply settings for groups like global proxy and restrictions.

Teacher iPads are placed into a different group with less restrictions applied and webclips etc.

Tip: It is always best to supervise your devices, that way you can remove iMessage and lock stuff down even more. But the built-in settings app is really handy - It allows me to stop people creating email accounts on the devices - But its a pain that I have to do it manually on each device.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Thank Post
    thanks for very helpful replies

one of the biggest problems we've come up with is that with supervised mode you cant connect to any other machine. we want teachers to backup their own photos from the ipads.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by macboy81 View Post
    thanks for very helpful replies

one of the biggest problems we've come up with is that with supervised mode you cant connect to any other machine. we want teachers to backup their own photos from the ipads.
    I built a cloud based solution that they just upload them to using web browser.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    Tip: It is always best to supervise your devices, that way you can remove iMessage and lock stuff down even more. But the built-in settings app is really handy - It allows me to stop people creating email accounts on the devices - But its a pain that I have to do it manually on each device.
    Is it not possible to use the built-in settings app to setup your email restrictions then use apple configurator to backup the whole ipad. You could then restore this backup to any ipad you want rather than having to do it manually?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread