+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad as a 1:1 device with School Owned VPP codes in Technical; I'm looking for some feedback from schools that are using the iPad as a 1:1 device and not as part ...

Thank Post

iPad as a 1:1 device with School Owned VPP codes

I'm looking for some feedback from schools that are using the iPad as a 1:1 device and not as part of a class set.

We are just starting to rollout iPads to staff and in the next 12 months plan to start rolling them out to pupils. I'm looking to find out how other schools are managing paid apps onto individual's devices.

We have our first set of VPP codes distributed through Meraki which have worked without issue and then discovered the issue with these codes now being assigned to the iTunes/Apple account that redeemed them. I now realise that this isn't possible without using the Apple Configurator.

I can see how the Apple Configurator works very nicely for class sets that are being returned to a charging trolly each evening but not for a 1:1 device scheme where your trying to update 1,500 iPads.

So I'm looking to find out how other schools have approached this issue. From what I can see there are the following options:
    1. Manage all of the iPads using Apple Configurator and collect them all in once a periodically to be updated.
    2. Use a cloud based MDM solution and the school takes the hit on purchasing the apps.
    3. Use a cloud based MDM solution and pass the cost of purchasing the apps to the parents.
    4. The students are given a list of apps that they are expected to purchased outside of Apple's VPP scheme.

As well as the above questions how are schools dealing with the pupils 13 years old and younger who can't sign up for an account?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    We here are not doing 1:1, but the most sensible solution would be to create a Apple ID for all the students, then give them the VPP Codes to redeem themselves? We use configurator for initial deployment but then we use Profile Manager for MDM.

We use Configurator to install the paid apps using the VPP codes that are imported. But we found, if you purchase 30 copies of Keynote. You will only have 29 codes left for redeem as you have to redeem one to get the IPA file to import into configurator. CRAZY?!

So we ended up going into the App Store on the one device that did not get it, signing into App Store and just re-downloading the app.

But in response to your actual question, I would say that most people do it like so...

• School purchases school specific applications like Keynote and Pages
    • The students then are responsible for app purchases if they are personal ones
    • If the Maths department needs a specific paid app, they use their capitation to purchase it and then get the students to redeem the codes?

But Meraki is the only MDM I have found that can do VPP well, Profile Manager certainly cant, and its Apple's own product.

On a personal opinion though; You are going the right way with 1:1, we have not here and it has been challenging, they are just not designed for a multi-user deployment.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply.

How have you found Profile Manager? - I hear that it starts to have issues with anything over 200 devices.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post

We use Configurator to install the paid apps using the VPP codes that are imported. But we found, if you purchase 30 copies of Keynote. You will only have 29 codes left for redeem as you have to redeem one to get the IPA file to import into configurator. CRAZY?!

The official way is to redeem in iTunes using one code, then go back to the VPP and re-download the spreadsheet to regain the code.

5. Thanks to j224 from:

SovietRussia (24th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibrows View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

How have you found Profile Manager? - I hear that it starts to have issues with anything over 200 devices.
    Well we don't have 200 devices (yet :P) - It is troublesome sometimes, you really have to wait ages and I get impatient and just break it more, but if you enrol them then just leave the devices it seems to work fine

Pushing settings and apps is the best thing I have found, much quicker than Meraki or other solutions and App Pushes don't require a end password

Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    The official way is to redeem in iTunes using one code, then go back to the VPP and re-download the spreadsheet to regain the code.
    Ah cheers, Ill give that a try next time :P

Thank Post
    Well we don't have 200 devices (yet :P) - It is troublesome sometimes, you really have to wait ages and I get impatient and just break it more, but if you enrol them then just leave the devices it seems to work fine
    Do you mind me asking how many devices you are using?

Pushing settings and apps is the best thing I have found, much quicker than Meraki or other solutions and App Pushes don't require a end password
    The new Mac Mini Server with SL arrived today so I'll be setting it up to have a play with Profile Manager.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread