+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Help me solve these issues... in Technical; Right I've got a few problems at the moment, i'll put the most important issue at the top and work ...
    Thank Post

Help me solve these issues...

Right I've got a few problems at the moment, i'll put the most important issue at the top and work to the least..

1. At the moment students take pictures of themselves, make themselves the default background, leave pictures and videos all over them and the only sure fire way of clearing them off is to unsupervise and resupervise them. Upon doing this the first user is then asked to select the language settings, accept the terms and conditions etc which is a pain in the rear.

2. I'm awaiting a trial of Foldr but are there any other suggestions for easy network folder access? Our PE department seem to take huge videos then attempt to upload them, which is slow on wireless and too big to upload via HAP. At the moment we're just telling people to email themselves any work they do on them but we disallow emails greater than 10mb.

3. Printing....not sure if many of you have run into problems here but personally all our printers are on a separate vlan and the iPads can't see them unless they're on the same vlan. Also we only have one airprint compatible printer (copier) in the whole school. I've found an app that seems to be able to broadcast all the printers but i've not really looked into it in detail yet, any suggestions here?

4. This one isn't a problem, more a request for information...what exactly do most MDM solutions offer over the basic apple configurator settings? Specifically if anyone here has used it the lightspeed MDM solution?

we've only had these a few weeks and I'm sick to death of them already, got more than enough to do without these damn things....

Thank Post
    I feel your pain I had to setup and manage our 4 crates and know exactly what your doing.

1. After installing all your apps, organise the apps in to folders and get it to an nice image state. (initial setup, restrictions, pin code, layout etc) once in that position take a backup via configurator and restore to the other ipads. When they come back in with all the photos etc just restore the backup, it's loads quicker.

2. If you set up webdav on a server (you'll need a Pac file with proxy exceptions for it to work in school) and use over the air, it's a webdav app that allows uploading unlike some apps that allow download only. Not too slow either but we have ruckus across the site. Then just share wedav share in my computer.

3. Printing I haven't looked at but I've heard the new version of paper cut comes with an app that mimics a printer in other apps and sends it to the paper cut app which then pushes it out to any printer in its database. Allows active directory and print quotas. (or so I understand)

4. Haven't used that one but tried meraki and found it a little flaky if I'm honest (ymmv - proxy issues when using configurator to enrol to it) the 3 main plus points are over the air app pushing (warning I don't think it gives you as much control for paid apps in the sense of removing and reusing the code but I could be wrong.) Find your iPad and general location and finally remote wipe and lock. Meraki is free but I only had a quick play on it.

Apologies if anything may be wrong or spelling mistakes I'm on my phone. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TechieWils; 9th May 2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: prematurly clicked enter

3. Thanks to TechieWils from:

mrbios (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks TechiWils, will have a good look into your suggestion for point 1 tomorrow, sounds like the sort of thing I'm after

Thank Post
    @TechieWils could you give me a few screenshots of your apple configurator so i can get a good idea of what you've got set?

I just tried to test this but i must have done something wrong because they all started telling me i didn't have permission...out of the 30 only 2 started installing things properly, very strange.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Right I've got a few problems at the moment, i'll put the most important issue at the top and work to the least..

1. At the moment students take pictures of themselves, make themselves the default background, leave pictures and videos all over them and the only sure fire way of clearing them off is to unsupervise and resupervise them. Upon doing this the first user is then asked to select the language settings, accept the terms and conditions etc which is a pain in the rear.

2. I'm awaiting a trial of Foldr but are there any other suggestions for easy network folder access? Our PE department seem to take huge videos then attempt to upload them, which is slow on wireless and too big to upload via HAP. At the moment we're just telling people to email themselves any work they do on them but we disallow emails greater than 10mb.

3. Printing....not sure if many of you have run into problems here but personally all our printers are on a separate vlan and the iPads can't see them unless they're on the same vlan. Also we only have one airprint compatible printer (copier) in the whole school. I've found an app that seems to be able to broadcast all the printers but i've not really looked into it in detail yet, any suggestions here?

4. This one isn't a problem, more a request for information...what exactly do most MDM solutions offer over the basic apple configurator settings? Specifically if anyone here has used it the lightspeed MDM solution?

we've only had these a few weeks and I'm sick to death of them already, got more than enough to do without these damn things....
    1.Unfortunately there are no iOS payloads to control the background image
    2. If you have access to MyBigCampus and install the free iOS app it will allow you to upload images and videos plus other App content directly to the MBC personal storage area (unlimited). WebDav support will be here soon also.
    3.Cant help here sorry
    4.MDM features on iOS is limited to what Apple support (payloads). Lightspeed MDM supports all of the payloads, App VPP deployment, and the ability to use the hierarchical model to split devices or users into classes or carts for granular control. Delegated administration is also useful if you want to give your teachers some administrative access to their class or cart, so that they can disable things like the Camera for a certain time period, lock the device to a single App, or just push a new App they have found to their class set.

MDM is all about the ongoing management of your devices, but you still might want to use Configurator to initially provision your devices and put them into supervised mode etc.

Hope that helps
    Simon

7. Thanks to Eappariello from:

mrbios (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Simon, wonderful to hear that webdav support is coming to MBC, and i think i'm starting to get more of a grasp on what MDM can do now Can't wait to get our lightspeed setup in place, just going through the various phases of the setup with @SchoolsBroadband at the moment, fingers crossed we'll have it all available to us within the next 2 months.

9. Thanks to mrbios from:

Eappariello (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply it's being one of those days. I'll get some screen shots over in the morning for you but to let you know. If you set a profile to limit the installing and uninstalling of apps it will actually stop apple configurator from installing apps as well (stupid I know). The trick is to do a triple sync.

1. With no apps selected (or just the apps that did install correctly) with the profile limiting installing. Refresh the ipads with this profile deselected.
    2. Select the apps you wish to install and then refresh again.
    3. Select the original profile with the installation restriction in and refresh a third and final time.

That should get you round the permission issue (if I fixed the wrong issue let me know, my brain isn't in gear)

As for the background image in configurator in the preferences across the top you can set a background lock screenand I think a background image as well as default. When you refresh the ipads this over rides their custom background. I will double check this and send screenshots first thing.

Let me know how you get on.

Thank Post
    Well...what a day, the macbook i use apple configurator with died. Had to take it home in order to reinstall OSX because it simply wouldn't accept any proxy settings i gave the recovery console...managed to briefly get it to work via 3G but that would have taken forever.

Currently sat here at 8:40pm with it infront of me redownloading all the apps and setting up the profile again, so next questions:
    1. I've imported the xls sheets that had the VPP codes on, but now thye only have one code on, and I'm fairly certain that the iPads don't have the apps on at present becuase i was in the process of wiping them back to fresh. I'll find out tomorrow but if i can't get the codes do i just need to call apple to sort that?
    2. why does itunes insist on trying to download 45 copies of pages for example when we've bought 45 codes for it?! I ONLY WANT IT ONCE! Can i stop it doing this?
    3. What steps can i take to ensure i don't have to do this all again in the future? Is there any easy backup solution to a mac that i can do?

@TechieWils We have some strange timing, the post you've just submitted has appeared just as i've got to the end of this one, and last night i came on here 2 minutes after you'd posted at silly o'clock Will give it a read now and edit this post below this line with any questions or comments

EDIT: Cheers, will try that tomorrow then. Really frustrating as it COULD be sooo much more straight forward but apple seem to have designed this in such a backward fashion.
    Last edited by mrbios; 9th May 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Haha strange is a nice way of putting it, retarded is another I just checked what time I posted the first response. It was a school night why were we still awake? It is an absolute pain I know. But right to business:

1. When you supervised the ipads originally they may have installed the paid apps on to them using up your vpp code, the only way I know of retrieving that code for reuse is to uninstall the app from the iPad using apple configurator. Any other method of removal risks losing that code permanently. Same goes for using the code on a non supervised device. Also the way I read your post you may have an issue connecting to your ipads on a newly built mac book as they will be looking for a certificate on the original build . Ipads can only be managed from one mac at a time and I am unsure of acway round this. A direct call to apple may help but I Fo know it says back up your database.

2. It's thick and annoying and apart from cancelling any extra downloads I have no way of stopping this sorry.

3. You can use time machine which works like a backup/imaging service. You point it towards a compatible NAS box or Usb hard drive and tell it to backup everything. This will let you restore the image of your mac safe with the configurator database intact as well.

Sorry this isn't better news.

13. Thanks to TechieWils from:

mrbios (9th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread