Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, JUSTOP K9B Android Mini PC - First Look in Technical; The JUSTOP K9B is one of the better devices that have emerged from China since late last year. Often advertised ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries

JUSTOP K9B Android Mini PC - First Look

The JUSTOP K9B is one of the better devices that have emerged from China since late last year. Often advertised under the category of an Android Mini-PC they are small (mine is 9x4 cm’s), cheap, self-contained units designed to connect to a TV or monitor via HDMI and powered by a 5V micro-USB socket.. They commonly come under a model type, the earlier ones are called MK 808’s and the newer ones are MK 809’s and MK 809 II.

If after reading this you decide to look for one be advised that there are plenty of 808’s still around for sale so be sure of what you are buying as at first glance they have similar specs.
    I brought this device as a way of turning my Samsung TV into a ‘smart’ TV without having to go out and buy a new one. Admittedly you have to buy a separate controller but I did get a very nice and small keyboard/touchpad combo for not a lot of money (more on this later).

jusmk8092.jpg

k9b.jpg

The first device I received was a generic MK 809II, which miffed me slightly as I ordered the JUSTOP. In use the generic device was flaky to say the least. Performance was poor and video playback awful – It wouldn’t even display in 1080p. The firmware on the device was unrecognised by any manufacture of these devices (and any Android forum I looked at too!). Even though the hardware was being reported as the same components as the JUSTOP it was simply awful. Needless to say I returned it ASAP.
    When the JUSTOP arrived a few days later it was like a breath of fresh air. It was fast, responsive and well worth the extra few pounds I spent on it. So even though I have not had as much use out of it (yet) as I’d like I shall list the specs and some points below.

Specs:

1. Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
    2. Cortex A9 Dual-Core up to 1.6Ghz Processor (ARM7)- 1GB DDR3 RAM, 4GB NAND
    3. GPU: Quad core Mali 400
    4. 802.11 b/g/n WIFI
    5. HDMI video out
    6. HD video playback
    7. Built in Micro SD card reader
    8. 1x USB Port 2x Micro USB ports (one used for power)
    9. Supports 2.4Ghz wireless mouse, keyboard, touchpad, airmouse (not included)
    10. Play Store
    11. Firmware upgradeable

k92.jpg

1. Price – I paid 41 but they are now down to 36.99 on Amazon

2. Video Playback – I’m using XBMC to stream media from my home media server via Wi-Fi. Both MPEG2 (DVD rips), 720p playback fine, although the 720p isn’t quite as good as I think it should be. 1080p video…well, just don’t. I have not had chance to try it via a USB LAN adaptor (powered USB hub required), but suspect that it should handle it just fine

3. Play Store – Works just fine and no apps have failed to work or install

4. Antutu Benchmark – It returns a score of 7205. Whilst not particularly rapid it does what I need it to do

5. Games – Angry Birds in full 1080p is pretty sweet! All other games such as the Sonic ones work and render fine at speed

6. Catch-up TV – It wouldn't be much use as a smart TV ‘upgrade’ if I couldn't watch catch-up TV would it? I got the iPlayer working with Dolphin Browser (Chrome seemed to throw a hissy fit with it) and 4oD also performs well. I've not had a chance to try any others or streaming media apps such as Netflix yet

7. Controller – I bought a Rii wireless mini PC keyboard with built in touchpad for 20 from Amazon. It works like a dream and is rechargeable. For some reason it also has a laser pointer built in!

rii.jpg

Unfortunately I have not yet had much time to use it beyond some basic testing but I shall keep you informed as to how it performs as time goes on.

Edited to add video. This shows an MK 809II in action. it is not a JUSTOP device, but will give you an idea of what they can do.

Last edited by Dos_Box; 3rd May 2013 at 05:22 PM.

Thank Post
    I was given one of these with the same keyboard for my birthday on Saturday. So far I have only have a 10 min play with it. One thing I have noticed is the spec says iPlayer app will work but it wont for me.

Thank Post
    I have mine with me today, I have just noticed it's an MK 809 and not a JUSTOP too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I was given one of these with the same keyboard for my birthday on Saturday. So far I have only have a 10 min play with it. One thing I have noticed is the spec says iPlayer app will work but it wont for me.
    I had the same problem. Try using Dolphin Browser. I didn't have any joy with Chrome or the default 'Browser'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have mine with me today, I have just noticed it's an MK 809 and not a JUSTOP too.

There are quite a few Chinese manufacturers churning these out with a default set of components. As we all know, just because one machine has identical components to another it's no guarantee of quality or speed. I hope you have got a good one. In my experience with the MK 809II that I initially received, it wasn't the best of quality.
    If you ordered a JUSTOP, ensure you get a JUSTOP. Also check that if you ordered a 809II or 809 (mark 1)

Thank Post
    This is what was ordered

JUSTOP K9B Android 4.1 TV Dongle Adapter With: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This is the one I have 2013-05-07 09.21.14.jpg

Netflix is not that great quality I dont think, I am only showing it on my 24" monitor at the moment as we were thinking about having some in school. Checked all the screen settings and they are all set to 1080p. Also, I can't work out where the 8gb of NAND is, I can only add it up to 6.5gb

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is what was ordered

JUSTOP K9B Android 4.1 TV Dongle Adapter With: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This is the one I have 2013-05-07 09.21.14.jpg

Netflix is not that great quality I dont think, I am only showing it on my 24" monitor at the moment as we were thinking about having some in school. Checked all the screen settings and they are all set to 1080p. Also, I can't work out where the 8gb of NAND is, I can only add it up to 6.5gb
    That is NOT a JUSTOP I'm afraid. It should look like the picture (mine does). I suggest you return it and get a real one. I have not yet had chance to try netflix (or run 1080p video from the SD card) so can't comment on the quality yet
    As regards the NAND, you have to remember that the O/S swallows up some of this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    That is NOT a JUSTOP. It should look like the picture (mine does). I suggest you return it and get a real one. I have not yet had chance to try netflix (or run 1080p video from the SD card) so can't comment on the quality yet
    As regards the NAND, you have to remember that the O/S swallows up some of this.
    Thanks, that was my thoughts too.

By the way, iPlayer now working but with Maxthon Android Web Browser, no luck with Dolphin. Quality is poor though, VHS quality in my opinion. I have just had the same iPlayer clip running on two screens next to each other to compare.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did find both the video and wireless quality on my 809II far poorer than the JUSTOP. Was the seller you brought from UK based?

Thank Post
    I did find both the video and wireless quality on my 809II far poorer than the JUSTOP. Was the seller you brought from UK based?
    Bought from the link above, they say they are UK. I have emailed them asking to change it.

Thank Post
    I too have this keyboard

Rii 2.4GHz Wireless Mini PC Keyboard Touchpad V2 Black--UK Layout: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Really really impressed with that. Just tried it on my colleagues Note 2 phone while RDP back to desktop, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL key instantly restarted his phone!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bought from the link above, they say they are UK. I have emailed them asking to change it.
    Yeh, the JUSTOP should be branded. Did you order the K9 or K9B (the B has some good additions). As regards your current device, could you list teh firmware version? IIRC the JUSTOP should have its FW marked as being developed by them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I too have this keyboard

Rii 2.4GHz Wireless Mini PC Keyboard Touchpad V2 Black--UK Layout: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Really really impressed with that. Just tried it on my colleagues Note 2 phone while RDP back to desktop, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL key instantly restarted his phone!
    They are almost a 'must have' device aren't they

Thank Post
    Yeh, the JUSTOP should be branded. Did you order the K9 or K9B (the B has some good additions). As regards your current device, could you list teh firmware version? IIRC the JUSTOP should have its FW marked as being developed by them.
    I ordered from the link above, that says it should be a JUSTOP K9B (MK 809 II).

Kernal
    3.0.8+
    olsen_V-601j1 #65
    SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 28

Build Number
    mk809_601Bj1_28-01-2013
    rk30sdk-eng 4.1.1 JRO03H eng.olsen.20130128.113627 test-keys

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. I'll double check with mine, but I can tell you now your's is definitely not a K9B. A thread on XDA developers here: MK809 II - Page 33 - xda-developers show it as beloning to a MK 809II.
    Whilst the JUSTOP is classed as a 809II it is far better engineered.

16. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Danp (7th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast