+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad in Technical; Hi all, Possibly my first thread asking for help after working for Advanced Learning for a good few years and ...

Thank Post

iPad

Hi all,

Possibly my first thread asking for help after working for Advanced Learning for a good few years and posting solutions to problems, I'm now in a new role in a secondary school and have an Ipad issue!

We've got some Ipads in schools which are all connected to the same appleID and when the administrator downloads an app on one, the others automatically download. This is a nice solution to keeping them all up to date.

Now we've got some coming in for the new arrivals team but they don't need the same suite of apps. So I'm trying to set them up with the same method but a different appleID. The appleID is created and verrified, and I can sign into the Ipad with it fine, and I can also get onto the internet on the Ipad fine.

When I go into settings, then into Itunes and app store, it's signed in correctly. When I change the setting for automatic downloads for apps from off to on, within a few seconds it changes itself back. The only support I can find online is people suggesting to sign out and sign back in again from that screen, which seems to be working for most people, but not for me.

I can go into the app store manually and choose to download an app without an issue. It installs and opens.

Any ideas what might be causing the automatic downloads button to turn itself off?

Thanks
    Mike Sanderson

Thank Post
    Hi all,
    Just incase any one else revisits this thread in future and needs an answer; I've now resolved it. The only way I could find to do it is to fully reset the Ipad - erase all contents and settings. No other intermediary resets worked. As the Ipads were brand new anyway it wasn't too much of a hardship.
    All of the settings looks the same now as they did before but they now store the automatic download settings as on without reverting to off.

I can also say that I couldn't find a way to enter the proxy settings on the initial boot up for the activation. So you can't activate without internet connection and can't enter proxy settings prior to activation. it's like having to phone your phone company to report your phone not working. I've had to tether it to my phone's 3g to avoid the proxy. Pffft.
    All resolved now, though.

Mike

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    Hi all,

Possibly my first thread asking for help after working for Advanced Learning for a good few years and posting solutions to problems, I'm now in a new role in a secondary school and have an Ipad issue!

We've got some Ipads in schools which are all connected to the same appleID and when the administrator downloads an app on one, the others automatically download. This is a nice solution to keeping them all up to date.

Now we've got some coming in for the new arrivals team but they don't need the same suite of apps. So I'm trying to set them up with the same method but a different appleID. The appleID is created and verrified, and I can sign into the Ipad with it fine, and I can also get onto the internet on the Ipad fine.

When I go into settings, then into Itunes and app store, it's signed in correctly. When I change the setting for automatic downloads for apps from off to on, within a few seconds it changes itself back. The only support I can find online is people suggesting to sign out and sign back in again from that screen, which seems to be working for most people, but not for me.

I can go into the app store manually and choose to download an app without an issue. It installs and opens.

Any ideas what might be causing the automatic downloads button to turn itself off?

Thanks
    Mike Sanderson
    Going slightly off topic a little but if you have the same appleID paired with all devices and you download the app on one which then auto updates the rest isn't that breaking the apple licence agreement? (if its a paid for app)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Moved to correct forum for iPads

5. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

FN-GM (3rd May 2013), michael2k6 (3rd May 2013)

Thank Post
    They aren't paid for apps. There is no way to buy multiple licenses for a single piece of software in the UK with an Apple device. There is in the states. So if in future I need to put an app on more than once device, and they've given me the option to sync across devices, without building a licensing functionality into that, and are giving us no way of managing it, then it's kinda tough. I'm not going to turn off syncing of all the free apps just so the one paid for app doesnt break it's license agreement, after all it's their technology feature which breaks the agreement. In reality, I don't think they'll ever have paid for apps on.

Thank Post
    The Volume License Programme came to the UK some time back now, so that's not entirely accurate I'm afraid.. the Apple configurator happily handles both free and paid for apps.

Thank Post
    They aren't paid for apps. There is no way to buy multiple licenses for a single piece of software in the UK with an Apple device. There is in the states. So if in future I need to put an app on more than once device, and they've given me the option to sync across devices, without building a licensing functionality into that, and are giving us no way of managing it, then it's kinda tough. I'm not going to turn off syncing of all the free apps just so the one paid for app doesnt break it's license agreement, after all it's their technology feature which breaks the agreement. In reality, I don't think they'll ever have paid for apps on.
    As mentioned by adaddon the volume licence programme was released in or around September/October 2012
    it can be found here
    Apple (United Kingdom) - Education - Volume Purchase Programme

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, I'll check it out. I'm going on wha tI've been told from above in my replies, so when that person first tried it, it can't have been around. Thanks for the update, we'll leave it as is for now and if we go to paid for apps, we'll stick it in place first.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Mike Sanderson
    Mike,

Using automatic downloads to keep all of the iPads up to date with apps is the worse solution of all and will start to cripple your wireless network if there are large numbers of iPads being used, you should be using Apple Configurator with unsupervised iPads to push out free apps.

Thank Post
    Hey guys. ive just recently had the old ipads thrusted on me and ive found that if you have itunes installed on a pc, just connect the ipad through USB whilst setting up. i also had the activation failure problem and used up aaaalll my data on my phone through tethering but choosing "connect to itunes" with the usb in works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread