+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, What phone do I get? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts

What phone do I get?

My contract with 3 has finished and it is time to get a new phone. Unlike many of you, I really don't need a flash phone and in fact I am looking to lower my monthly cost which is currently £26 as I am nowhere near my text and phone limits.

My current contract gives me plenty of minutes and texts, as well as free calls to other 3 users which currently includes 2 of my 3 children - although that may change of course, especially as their contracts The main advantage is that I get unlimited data.
    I don't really use apps except edugeek of course, a couple of music/tuning apps and a few others so I am not looking for anything flash. I DO use the internet quite a lot, especially the satnav bit.

It seems that I can go down to £19 a month and get a Sony Experia J and I think this is good enough but I am not sure. I might be able to get a better phone on another network for about the same price but I won't get the all-you-can-eat data. I am not sure how much data I actually use and I am having trouble finding out.

Has anyone got one of these phones or can offer me any advice?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Think this site and a few others were mentioned on the gadget show

http://www.rightmobilephone.co.uk/

http://www.billmonitor.com/

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

witch (27th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Mobile Phones | Compare over 800,000 Mobile Phone Deals | moneysupermarket.com

Compare the deals here and see which one is the best for you

Here are some suggestions for you

Galaxy S3 looking good on £16.61 plan or Galaxy note 2 ( £21.67 ).

Sony Xperia Z ( £23.83)
    HTC One (25.83 )
    Good Luck!!

Thank Post
    All I'll say is don't look at an S4 or you'll come away with it. Had my grubby little mits on one in Tesco today and the screeen is well - wow! if I wasn't a few months off renewal I'd have had one there and then. A bit bigger than the S2 but not pocket unfriendly.

Tesco had it on 500 mins, 500 Text and 500Mb for £26 IIRC with free handset (24 months) - the only worry is the 500mb data.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Ta, but the cost is the issue - I need it to come down. Not interested in a Galaxy S4 - as I say, I really don't use it enough to pay the price. I don't want a huge phone, either.
    Tesco have a Galaxy mini for £20 with lots of texts and calls and 500mb data - that might be OK.
    Its a pain having to sign up for 2 years too
    The thing is, I don't know enough about the phones and whilst I can look at reviews, I hoped that someone had experience of them. @apur32 Who was the £16.61 plan with - I didnt find that one?
    Last edited by witch; 27th April 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Thank Post
    http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobi...ung/galaxy-s3/

Check this out.

It is with cash back

Thank Post
    I'm happy with my carphonewhorehouse deal. 500MB data, 250 minutes of calls and 5000 texts for £7.50 a month. OK it's a Galaxy Ace and doesn't support flash (unless you mess around with it) but it suits me. The only thing is, their minutes seem to be a lot faster than my watch.

Thank Post
    If you really don't use apps - why not go down to an old fashioned phone - I still use an old Samsung and get 10 days between charges and it only cost about £35

Thank Post
    I have the Nexus 4 it's a lovely phone. It's £23 on three with 300 mins, unlimited texts and data. I'm sure you could haggle a better deal with them though as they would still be making a big profit margin on this phone aim to get it under the £20 mark and you have got yourself a good deal. Reason I like the phone is it comes without all the extra stuff you don't need which eats your battery and slows your phone down etc, plus when a new version of android comes out you get it really quickly.

LG Nexus 4 - LG Mobile Phones at BuyMobilePhones.net Ltd.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ugh. £12 a month, Virgin Mobile, Galaxy Ace 2. More than enough features to satisfy day to day use, decent size screen. 5000 texts, 5000 minutes, unlimited calls to other Virgins, unlimited data. That's a "repeat customer" deal I have but worth asking them anyway IMO. It's cheaper if you have Virgin services too (I don't)

Thank Post
    Or another cracking phone Samsung S3 for £20 a month, 300 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data on three. Samsung Galaxy S3 - Compare Samsung Galaxy S3 Contract Deals

Depends what your used to as £26 is IMO quite a lot a month to pay so your probably used to a fairly decent phone. Problem I think with going for something not as good as the S3 or Nexus 4 in two years its going to feel really outdated and slow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Utterly pointless if you don't need that sort of thing. I think spending more than £20 on any phone contract is utterly pointless unless you can really justify the use of the phone. Some of the S4 contracts work out slightly better than loan & sim only unlike *anything* else on the market.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had a play with the Sony Xperia J. Not a bad phone at all - very light weight, sturdy construction, responsive to use.

I'd suggest asking Three what they can do for you with that phone.

T-Mobile managed to give me the HTC One with unlimited data, unlimited texts, 2000 minutes, and unlimited t-mobile minutes for £21 a month, plus £10 for their insurance per month (which I can cancel after 3 months if I want to), so I'm sure Three could do you a good deal.

Thank Post
    Utterly pointless in your opinion. I'm just saying from my experience having recently upgraded from a Motorola Defy which was cheap at only £12 a month but after 12 months of a 24 month contract it really started to get slow with all the new apps that were coming out and OS upgrades.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrowlands View Post
    Utterly pointless in your opinion. I'm just saying from my experience having recently upgraded from a Motorola Defy which was cheap at only £12 a month but after 12 months of a 24 month contract it really started to get slow with all the new apps that were coming out and OS upgrades.
    The answer to that is simple - stop installing so many apps and updates... The OS timeframe for Android phones is a lot shorter than, say, Windows on a PC. So a similar comparison would be installing Windows 8 on a 5 year old PC with 1GB RAM etc...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast