+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad configurator & Windows issue in Technical; This is annoying me & I can't see a solution & someone else must have come accross it. If you ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    iPad configurator & Windows issue

    This is annoying me & I can't see a solution & someone else must have come accross it. If you set up an iPad & connect it to a Windows PC vis the USB cable it shows up as a portable device, you can copy and delete videos & pictures and it's jolly useful. HOWEVER, if you set up the iPad with Configurator the iPad shows up in Windows as an unknown device & you can't access files on it. I've looked for a setting to change but can't see anything that seems to be relevant. In my environment the iPads are used to gather evidence in reading and other areas and the video to PC is a big reason for using them. Now we can't without reseting and configuring each manually.
    Anyone with a solution? Or an explanation?

  2. #2
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,479
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 260 Times in 213 Posts
    Rep Power
    99
    Had this exact problem today, used home access plus to get around it and uploaded them through that....BUT there's a limitation in that the ipad names all the files the same name when you upload them this way, so you have to upload them one by one and rename them :| Though I've asked nickbro if he can add a renaming feature (so that it renames files on upload to random names) in the next version he releases.

    Will be interested to see what responses you get here though as i'd like a simpler solution also.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    148
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    I think Apple's excuse is that iPads set up in a school environment using Configurator means that no student can connect it to any computer to put files onto the device. If you have a 1 to 1 setup with students having their own iPad that they're allowed to take home, then you might not want them adding/removing files.

    It does of course create a major problem if you DO want the student to be able to do this themselves, or even allow their teacher to take photos/videos off. We use Configurator to manage 16 iPads at school and I hope Apple do change this in the near future.

    We use an app called SimplTransfer which shows you the IP address of that device which you navigate to on your PC/Mac internet browser. You can then select which photos/videos you want to download and then we manually remove all the files afterwards to free up space for the next class to use them.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    kidderminster
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnams View Post
    This is annoying me & I can't see a solution & someone else must have come accross it. If you set up an iPad & connect it to a Windows PC vis the USB cable it shows up as a portable device, you can copy and delete videos & pictures and it's jolly useful. HOWEVER, if you set up the iPad with Configurator the iPad shows up in Windows as an unknown device & you can't access files on it. I've looked for a setting to change but can't see anything that seems to be relevant. In my environment the iPads are used to gather evidence in reading and other areas and the video to PC is a big reason for using them. Now we can't without reseting and configuring each manually.
    Anyone with a solution? Or an explanation?
    The iPad is set up using supervise mode in Apple Configurator, turn it off when setting the device up and it will now allow you to move content from it.

  5. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

    Adnams (26th April 2013)

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    148
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    I read that adding profiles at the prepare stage doesn't work. Is that still the case?

    Also, if they are unsupervised and you install paid apps through Configurator, you're not able to reclaim the VPP codes when the student leaves the school?

    This is just what I've read. We've setup all our iPads to be supervised.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Keighley, West Yorks
    Posts
    324
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    Also, if they are unsupervised and you install paid apps through Configurator, you're not able to reclaim the VPP codes when the student leaves the school?
    Correct.

    I put a long thread about this on Apple VPP, how exactly am I ment to use it? last night so I won't retype it here.

    Peter

  8. #7
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,479
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 260 Times in 213 Posts
    Rep Power
    99
    App called Simple Transfer appears to be a new solution for us. You run the app and it tells you your ipads IP and to type it into a web browser. User types in that address and they get a nice screen where they can download their pictures and videos

    Then we use a globally setup email account of ipads@domain.com which is a very restricted account (no one can access it on the network, send things to do, hidden in adress lists etc etc) they can then use this account to send emails to their individual account for files from things like pages etc.

    Still testing this but it seems like a more fool proof solution. Would like it if i could find a way of changing the IP they enter to a name though, might be a way around that by statically assigning them to the MAC address and setting up a dns record for each one but maybe I'm just being too fussy, as that is a bit long winded...

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Sean-OC04 provided me with the answer that I needed. I can see the logic of restrictions but on this occasion it isn't an issue so I'm happy to set Supervision to off, I just wish that it had occurred to me sooner! Still, nice to see a number of responses. Thanks to all.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    kidderminster
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    App called Simple Transfer appears to be a new solution for us. You run the app and it tells you your ipads IP and to type it into a web browser. User types in that address and they get a nice screen where they can download their pictures and videos

    Then we use a globally setup email account of ipads@domain.com which is a very restricted account (no one can access it on the network, send things to do, hidden in adress lists etc etc) they can then use this account to send emails to their individual account for files from things like pages etc.

    Still testing this but it seems like a more fool proof solution. Would like it if i could find a way of changing the IP they enter to a name though, might be a way around that by statically assigning them to the MAC address and setting up a dns record for each one but maybe I'm just being too fussy, as that is a
    bit long winded...
    Have you not looked at using a webDAV server based solution with an app like iFiles to move content? This is just one way to move content more easily.

    We also have a solution that connects your existing AD users to webDAV, it's called Foldr

    Foldr - Remote File Access From Any Device & Workflow Solution For iOS

  11. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

    mrbios (26th April 2013)

  12. #10
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,479
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 260 Times in 213 Posts
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    Have you not looked at using a webDAV server based solution with an app like iFiles to move content? This is just one way to move content more easily.

    We also have a solution that connects your existing AD users to webDAV, it's called Foldr

    Foldr - Remote File Access From Any Device & Workflow Solution For iOS
    If I'm honest this is the first day i've been looking at them, and found the first solution that did what we wanted with little requirement for technical help.

    Thanks for the further suggestions though, will look into those

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    82
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    We are just looking in to ipads and reading up on webdav for home drivers - did this solution work for you?

    What apps are you using to connect to webdav servers?

    Could I ask how you setup you devices to.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    If I'm honest this is the first day i've been looking at them, and found the first solution that did what we wanted with little requirement for technical help.

    Thanks for the further suggestions though, will look into those

  14. #12
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,479
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 260 Times in 213 Posts
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Eben View Post
    We are just looking in to ipads and reading up on webdav for home drivers - did this solution work for you?

    What apps are you using to connect to webdav servers?

    Could I ask how you setup you devices to.
    I've not gone for any webdav based apps yet but I am going to trial foldr soon. Also still considering our options for our VLE replacement, as if MyBigCampus proves to be the option for us then we'll wait for that to support webdav

    I'm probably not the best person to ask for how my devices are setup I'm afraid, I'm still in the trial and error phase as it were. Macbook even died recently which meant getting apple to recover all my apps and me having to start from scratch again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [iPad] Using Apple Configurator to lock down iPAD and only install Google Chrome
    By kennysarmy in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th December 2012, 01:59 PM
  2. [iPad] Apple Configurator problem - cannot remove iPad profile.
    By adhutton in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th July 2012, 08:37 AM
  3. 1.5.9 Front page user editor window issue
    By MWakefield in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th January 2009, 06:35 PM
  4. Windows 2003 issues
    By everton4europe in forum Windows
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21st November 2006, 08:01 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th November 2006, 06:42 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •