+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad configurator & Windows issue in Technical; This is annoying me & I can't see a solution & someone else must have come accross it. If you ...

Thank Post

iPad configurator & Windows issue

This is annoying me & I can't see a solution & someone else must have come accross it. If you set up an iPad & connect it to a Windows PC vis the USB cable it shows up as a portable device, you can copy and delete videos & pictures and it's jolly useful. HOWEVER, if you set up the iPad with Configurator the iPad shows up in Windows as an unknown device & you can't access files on it. I've looked for a setting to change but can't see anything that seems to be relevant. In my environment the iPads are used to gather evidence in reading and other areas and the video to PC is a big reason for using them. Now we can't without reseting and configuring each manually.
    Anyone with a solution? Or an explanation?

Thank Post
    Had this exact problem today, used home access plus to get around it and uploaded them through that....BUT there's a limitation in that the ipad names all the files the same name when you upload them this way, so you have to upload them one by one and rename them :| Though I've asked nickbro if he can add a renaming feature (so that it renames files on upload to random names) in the next version he releases.

Will be interested to see what responses you get here though as i'd like a simpler solution also.

Thank Post
    I think Apple's excuse is that iPads set up in a school environment using Configurator means that no student can connect it to any computer to put files onto the device. If you have a 1 to 1 setup with students having their own iPad that they're allowed to take home, then you might not want them adding/removing files.

It does of course create a major problem if you DO want the student to be able to do this themselves, or even allow their teacher to take photos/videos off. We use Configurator to manage 16 iPads at school and I hope Apple do change this in the near future.

We use an app called SimplTransfer which shows you the IP address of that device which you navigate to on your PC/Mac internet browser. You can then select which photos/videos you want to download and then we manually remove all the files afterwards to free up space for the next class to use them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnams View Post
    This is annoying me & I can't see a solution & someone else must have come accross it. If you set up an iPad & connect it to a Windows PC vis the USB cable it shows up as a portable device, you can copy and delete videos & pictures and it's jolly useful. HOWEVER, if you set up the iPad with Configurator the iPad shows up in Windows as an unknown device & you can't access files on it. I've looked for a setting to change but can't see anything that seems to be relevant. In my environment the iPads are used to gather evidence in reading and other areas and the video to PC is a big reason for using them. Now we can't without reseting and configuring each manually.
    Anyone with a solution? Or an explanation?
    The iPad is set up using supervise mode in Apple Configurator, turn it off when setting the device up and it will now allow you to move content from it.

5. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

Adnams (26th April 2013)

Thank Post
    I read that adding profiles at the prepare stage doesn't work. Is that still the case?

Also, if they are unsupervised and you install paid apps through Configurator, you're not able to reclaim the VPP codes when the student leaves the school?

This is just what I've read. We've setup all our iPads to be supervised.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    Also, if they are unsupervised and you install paid apps through Configurator, you're not able to reclaim the VPP codes when the student leaves the school?
    Correct.

I put a long thread about this on Apple VPP, how exactly am I ment to use it? last night so I won't retype it here.

Peter

Thank Post
    App called Simple Transfer appears to be a new solution for us. You run the app and it tells you your ipads IP and to type it into a web browser. User types in that address and they get a nice screen where they can download their pictures and videos

Then we use a globally setup email account of ipads@domain.com which is a very restricted account (no one can access it on the network, send things to do, hidden in adress lists etc etc) they can then use this account to send emails to their individual account for files from things like pages etc.

Still testing this but it seems like a more fool proof solution. Would like it if i could find a way of changing the IP they enter to a name though, might be a way around that by statically assigning them to the MAC address and setting up a dns record for each one but maybe I'm just being too fussy, as that is a bit long winded...

Thank Post
    Sean-OC04 provided me with the answer that I needed. I can see the logic of restrictions but on this occasion it isn't an issue so I'm happy to set Supervision to off, I just wish that it had occurred to me sooner! Still, nice to see a number of responses. Thanks to all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    App called Simple Transfer appears to be a new solution for us. You run the app and it tells you your ipads IP and to type it into a web browser. User types in that address and they get a nice screen where they can download their pictures and videos

Then we use a globally setup email account of ipads@domain.com which is a very restricted account (no one can access it on the network, send things to do, hidden in adress lists etc etc) they can then use this account to send emails to their individual account for files from things like pages etc.

Still testing this but it seems like a more fool proof solution. Would like it if i could find a way of changing the IP they enter to a name though, might be a way around that by statically assigning them to the MAC address and setting up a dns record for each one but maybe I'm just being too fussy, as that is a
    bit long winded...
    Have you not looked at using a webDAV server based solution with an app like iFiles to move content? This is just one way to move content more easily.

We also have a solution that connects your existing AD users to webDAV, it's called Foldr

Foldr - Remote File Access From Any Device & Workflow Solution For iOS

11. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

mrbios (26th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    Have you not looked at using a webDAV server based solution with an app like iFiles to move content? This is just one way to move content more easily.

We also have a solution that connects your existing AD users to webDAV, it's called Foldr

Foldr - Remote File Access From Any Device & Workflow Solution For iOS
    If I'm honest this is the first day i've been looking at them, and found the first solution that did what we wanted with little requirement for technical help.

Thanks for the further suggestions though, will look into those

Thank Post
    We are just looking in to ipads and reading up on webdav for home drivers - did this solution work for you?

What apps are you using to connect to webdav servers?

Could I ask how you setup you devices to.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    If I'm honest this is the first day i've been looking at them, and found the first solution that did what we wanted with little requirement for technical help.

Thanks for the further suggestions though, will look into those

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eben View Post
    We are just looking in to ipads and reading up on webdav for home drivers - did this solution work for you?

What apps are you using to connect to webdav servers?

Could I ask how you setup you devices to.
    I've not gone for any webdav based apps yet but I am going to trial foldr soon. Also still considering our options for our VLE replacement, as if MyBigCampus proves to be the option for us then we'll wait for that to support webdav

I'm probably not the best person to ask for how my devices are setup I'm afraid, I'm still in the trial and error phase as it were. Macbook even died recently which meant getting apple to recover all my apps and me having to start from scratch again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread