+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Fusion 5 in Technical; Hi all, As the title suggests I'm looking for info on these tablets in an educational environment. Anybody use them, ...
    Thank Post

Fusion 5

Hi all,

As the title suggests I'm looking for info on these tablets in an educational environment.

Anybody use them, or know anything about them? I am a complete novice as far as tablets go

Basically the SLT were looking at ipads or something similar for student use (Junior School) classroom and on trips, the SLT have ipads but a Govenor brought in one of these Fusion 5 tablets and now they are asking me if I think these would be better. I wrinkled my nose at the ipads anyway so I'm hoping for positive feedback

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-FUSION5...7555174&sr=8-1

So just looking for any pros or cons, how do you deal with app purchases, charging, robustness... Servicing and repair also (Can you? Would you?).

Also they are looking at a little case with keyboard if anyone knows anything about those.

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 19th April 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Aaaaaaaaagh!!!!!1

Just to say that the Business Manager has now been looking around for alternatives (read cheaper....) and has asked about the following.

@Tab TEN.1

@Tab 10.1" Tablet PC - Tablets | Ebuyer.com

Looking for anyone with direct hands on experience would be great.

Trouble is all these generic/rebranded tablets they just start looking all the same after googling for a bit...

Kol.

Thank Post
    Alrighty then! Nobody? OMG that doesn't bode well...

Do I take it most people have gone the ipad route? Were you forced by LA or SLT or was it a conscious decision?

For those (if any) that haven't gone with ipads, what tablet solution are you using and why?

Kol.

Thank Post
    I've been evaluating different tablets for our early childhood classrooms recently. In America, early childhood is 3 years old to 1st grade (up to 7 years old). Our parent fundraising team is anticipating raising a bunch of money and want to spend it on tablets specifically for those grade level classrooms. I don't know what grade levels or age groups Junior school is for you, so this information may or may not be relevant. I bought the following second-hand eBay tablets: full size iPad 4th generation, iPad mini, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Personally, I own 2 Android tablets at my home - a Nexus 7 and a Motorola Xoom, and they serve my tablet computing desires just fine. I'll admit I was a little biased toward Android going into this evaluation. However, my findings surprised me a bit. The quantity, and more importantly the quality, of the apps available specifically for the age groups that I'm evaluating for are causing me to have to recommend going with Apple. There are many apps about learning shapes, colors, alphabet, phonics, reading, math, etc. available on Android but compared to their counterparts on the Apple appstore they do not impress. Many are buggy and don't work well, many are free but feature obtrusive ads that will get tapped on by accident by children of this age group and that'll cause a disruption of the learning and confusion on how to return to the app. Still others are "free" but require in-app purchases to unlock functionality to make the app complete or useful, which I find to be a particularly shady practice that I do not appreciate... especially when they do not mention anything of the sort in the app description on the play store. The other strike against Android tablets for the early childhood age group is the fact that the navigation bar at the bottom of the tablet is always visible on-screen. While I find that a very handy UE and UI element as an adult, a child will end up tapping the back, home, and app switcher buttons by accident causing interruption and confusion. There are apps made to overcome this, like LearnPad, but I haven't been too satisfied with any of them. LearnPad is great, but it is overwhelmingly geared for UK schools and does not make a good use case in my American school.

I'm really not looking forward to the cost, the Apple iPads are going to cost roughly twice as much per unit as an Android tablet. Not to mention, I'm going to have to invest in a Mac mini server to be able to manage them effectively... further increasing the cost. Being that this is supposed to be an educational tool, rather than the marketing tool that I believe the parent fundraising team see it as, I have to go with the product that can provide the most educational value. I was going to recommend the iPad mini to save some money, but then our early childhood director pointed out to me that little kids need things to be big in order to work them easily. She's right, take a look at worksheets that are for young kids and all of the lettering is big and everything is large, even the lines on paper for little kids are huge. So, it looks like we need to get the full sized iPads.... sigh.

For the older kids though, the Galaxy Note 10.1 looks like it could be awesome.
    Last edited by tutech; 23rd April 2013 at 03:17 PM.

5. 2 Thanks to tutech:

Koldov (23rd April 2013), Smee (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    I agree with the above about iPads having apps better suited to education.

We have recently got a set of 16 iPads to share around our Junior school. Teachers can book out, in advance, a few or the whole set using the booking form- the same way we do with our 32 laptops.

It was a conscious decision for us to go for iPads instead of cheaper Android tablets after lots of research. I personally have a Nexus 7 at home and it works great for what I need it for (casual browsing, watching videos, Twitter, Feedly, etc.) but it wouldn't work so well at school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread