+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Locking Down Nexus 7 in Technical; In fact even taking the battery out and rebooting just boots you back to the learnpad software. So I guess ...

Thank Post
    In fact even taking the battery out and rebooting just boots you back to the learnpad software. So I guess you would need to remove the battery, hold down some buttons, boot in safe mode..........

Sound like the remove cat5 cable during boot to stop gps applying that we all lived with.

Thank Post
    It sounds silly that no-one has produced free educational android lock down solution. Ill take a look at it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    How would you do that?

The only way I can think of is removing the battery and then getting it to reboot, but if the pupils are doing that you need to ask your self just how much time do you put in or if these are a good device for your school.
    The same way you crash any other software... overload/do something it doesn't handle gracefully. No battery removal necessary.

I will try to work up a video over the weekend if I have time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    The only way I can think of is removing the battery and then getting it to reboot, but if the pupils are doing that you need to ask your self just how much time do you put in or if these are a good device for your school.
    This is the problem we face: how do we make these things bombproof, and ultimately are we even able to? At the end of the day the students should be using these for work, and should be supervised (that's the hope!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are never going to be bombproof, no solution is, you are looking at best effort. Yes you can bypass security in safemode, you can do that with PCs and Macs too. You do have the option of the custom firmware but that is a PITA. As with all tablets you are going to be fighting an uphill battle with the students that now have an easily hidable, quickly changeable device that is insanely difficult to monitor when talking about a class load of them.

The best you can probably do is lock it down as best you can and have them filtered separately so you can enable/disable sites at will if you need that level of control. It is not as if the other solutions are some kind of miracle with security either, the iPad spent quite some time where all you needed to bypass its lockscreen security was a magnet.

You must set your expectations at what is possible and think about how much you actually need to lock them down. This is why tablets are still a dubious proposition in schools and why some have come out and called them the worst decision they ever made for classroom control. In the end you can only solve so much technologically and the rest is behavioural, the best solution will have to be a combination of both and leave the rest of the burden where it should be, with the teachers and people who wanted them in the first place.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Gongalong (11th April 2013)

Thank Post
    I agree with most of what was said above. The only real way to lock them down correctly would be custom firmware...

Custom firmware is like a image for a PC... with a tablet like the n7 it couldn't be easier. And you can lock it down a lot better... move your apps to system so they cant be uninstalled, give apps root access so they can break out of the sandbox and work in safe mode, etc.

8. Thanks to MordyT from:

Gongalong (11th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Synack, agreed with all of that.

The driver here is the cost of an IT classroom with desktop PCs, which I sympathise with. Although there are of course the hidden costs with tablets e.g. longevity (lack of), breakage. I will highlight the issues again with the teachers to make sure they're clear.

The main question now is whether to go with something like the Nexus and Surelock, or the LearnPad. I'll see if I can get a hardware demo of the latter.

Anyone have any experience of the LearnPad?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
    If someone wants to post their hardware they are using it on (pref a nexus 7 since that is what i have) I would be happy to walk them through overwriting it.
    I agree with MordyT - I want to create Custom firmware lock it down have the apps so they cant be uninstalled, etc.
    I have rooted the device. It is a Nexus 7 v4.2.2 Build JDQ39. I would love your instructions on how to create my own custom ROM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alisonm View Post
    I agree with MordyT - I want to create Custom firmware lock it down have the apps so they cant be uninstalled, etc.
    I have rooted the device. It is a Nexus 7 v4.2.2 Build JDQ39. I would love your instructions on how to create my own custom ROM
    Hit up xda developers. Start by just building aosp. Then you can start adding and removing files.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12