+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Best tablet for the Principal in Technical; Hi all, My Principle sent me an email asking me to recommend a tablet to take to all the external ...

Thank Post

Best tablet for the Principal

Hi all,

My Principle sent me an email asking me to recommend a tablet to take to all the external meetings she has. She needs Remote Desktop access to college PC and something about the size of an iPad. She mentioned she would also purchase some kind of wireless keyboard for it too. Would really appreciate some suggestions, I know ipad could do the job, any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows 8 tablet, best there is at rdp, useable as a tablet and a laptop, long battery life and way more versitile. Something like an hp envy x2 which comes with a detachable keyboard and trackpad. There is also no hassle then about compatibility or accessing stuff off the server, or printing, or installing required software or... you get the picture.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

speckytecky (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kenrick View Post
    Hi all,

My Principle sent me an email asking me to recommend a tablet to take to all the external meetings she has. She needs Remote Desktop access to college PC and something about the size of an iPad. She mentioned she would also purchase some kind of wireless keyboard for it too. Would really appreciate some suggestions, I know ipad could do the job, any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Paul
    How about looking at the Acer W700. The screen is a little bit bigger than a ipad but it runs windows 8 pro so it will connect to the domain. The ones we got cable with a case that has a built in bluetooth keyboard so it can be used as a tablet or like a laptop.

5. Thanks to Kingstech from:

Thank Post
    Or an Asus Transformer if you fancy Android

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

I got it for the pen and the ability to scribble on / annotate pdfs. I'm saving a few rainforests now that I don't have to print off meeting papers. I can view and scribble on them electronically
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 1st April 2013 at 07:09 PM.

8. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Another good thing with the W700 is its got a usb port. I use ms one note on mine for meeting notes and it syncs with my skydrive so I have it on my office pc as well.

Thank Post
    Fact is there isn't a decent W8 Pro tablet available, yet..
    intel should have had Gen4 Haswell chips ready for use in Surface last year, hence the rather lengthy delay in seeing decent pro kit so far and its only really started showing up at CeBit a few weeks ago.

Now that its found its way to manufacturing in quantities we are going to see a load of i3,i5 and i7 4xxx tablets and hybrids hitting the street in decent numbers over coming weeks.
    Even Apple users are expecting another Macbook refresh by June so what ever you choose be prepared for your Pro Tablet to look awfully dated by the start of the next academic year.

11. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    intel should have had Gen4 Haswell chips ready for use in Surface last year, hence the rather lengthy delay in seeing decent pro kit so far and its only really started showing up at CeBit a few weeks ago.

Now that its found its way to manufacturing in quantities we are going to see a load of i3,i5 and i7 4xxx tablets and hybrids hitting the street in decent numbers over coming weeks.
    Even Apple users are expecting another Macbook refresh by June so what ever you choose be prepared for your Pro Tablet to look awfully dated by the start of the next academic year.
    The Atom ones are fine and target a better power envelope for little tablet type usage. Intel have dropped the ball totally on the next gen iSeries for power envelope. As it has taken them this much longer to come up with a few underclocked iSeries units. How far are they actually behind and how good will be what they finally get out of the factory be. For a laptop replacement yes the iSeries ones will be much better but you will have rubbish battery life for the the forseeable future.

If you want something that is quiet to take notes on in meetings with a decent battery life and decent software without millions of restrictions then you probably want one of the atom units. If it is going to be your only machine and you want to do heavier stuff on it then the compromise on the battery life is worth it.

For the OP, I think the atom variation will be the best bet, they did not say that it needed to replace their main computer for everything as well, just be a companion device like an iPad but for doing work, the W8 stuff does it better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The Atom ones are fine and target a better power envelope for little tablet type usage. Intel have dropped the ball totally on the next gen iSeries for power envelope. As it has taken them this much longer to come up with a few underclocked iSeries units. How far are they actually behind and how good will be what they finally get out of the factory be. For a laptop replacement yes the iSeries ones will be much better but you will have rubbish battery life for the the forseeable future.

If you want something that is quiet to take notes on in meetings with a decent battery life and decent software without millions of restrictions then you probably want one of the atom units. If it is going to be your only machine and you want to do heavier stuff on it then the compromise on the battery life is worth it.

For the OP, I think the atom variation will be the best bet, they did not say that it needed to replace their main computer for everything as well, just be a companion device like an iPad but for doing work, the W8 stuff does it better.
    The Acer w510 has a atom processor and it runs ok. The good thing with it is you have a keyboard that you can attach to it that turns it into a netbook.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstech View Post
    The Acer w510 has a atom processor and it runs ok. The good thing with it is you have a keyboard that you can attach to it that turns it into a netbook.
    Yes it is built on the same platform but from a thread on here it does suffer from a few Acer type quality issues hence my recomendation of the hp instead, same platform but better build quality and almost certainly better implementation. The Acer should still work though but may be less of a winner than one of the others.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    I think you need to look seriously at what else the HT wants to do other than remote in.

Does this need full network connectivity as well, or is remoting in going to provide all that is needed... may be with the addition of dropbox or similar for file transfer?
    Does this need local office software? Will the non M$ alternatives do the job? Or is Office via remoting in enough?
    Will the email/calendar facilities you have work on the tablet?
    Does your HT need it to reduce the paperwork? -see my earlier post about using the Note to scribble on pdfs rather than using paper.

The different tablets lend themselves to different things.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstech View Post
    Another good thing with the W700 is its got a usb port. I use ms one note on mine for meeting notes and it syncs with my skydrive so I have it on my office pc as well.
    We also have a W700, but we find we want to plug in alot of USB devices (keyboard, mouse etc) - As there is only 1 USB Port we have to use a USB Hub.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    +1 TBH. If you want a tablet buy an iPad as there's nothing else out there just now. This might change but everything I've seen running Windows8 Pro so far has been rubbish and seriously overpriced. We bought a couple of Samsung Ativ Smart tablets (Windows 8 PRo/atom)and the build quality on them is terrible. The docking connector doesnt even fit properly and it loses the connection when you touch the screen whilst typing! Atom CPU, 2Gb RAM, 64Gb storage and 32-bit Windows. Can't believe they're charging £750 for them!

Unless you need Windows and tablet functionality combined on one device it would probably be better and cheaper to buy an iPad and a £300-400 laptop!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 2nd April 2013 at 01:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. I am tempted to go the Win 8 route, but like many of you say it may well be a little too early still. I might try and get some test units and trial them first for a few days. If no joy, maybe the Ipad route...

Thanks again

Paul

Thank Post
    Surface with Windows RT if she can run things through the Remote Desktop Portal or a Surface Pro when it comes out.

Go with type cover instead of touch cover if its going to be used regularly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast